• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Goodbye Dinc Thread

I've still got a few months but I've also been contemplating what I do at my renewal mark. Right now, I am counted among those who do not want a bigger phone. My original dInc is a nice size device and everything else on the market just seems too big. Lying around here at home we have 3 motorolas (r2d2, X, 3) none of which impress me. I find them all just a little too heavy (especially the ones with the keyboard) and they all feel very very unbalanced in my hand. Speed-wise, they all seem much faster, but what good is that if I'm constantly dropping the thing or cramping up when holding it? Thin like the new motorola razr which I"m hoping to be able to demo in a few days is nice but when they make it thin and then add a few mm to height and width that just defeats the purpose for me.

And someone else mentioned the iphone - yes - right now it's still small, but specs on the next (if they are to be believed) have it much larger.

I"m just waiting and hoping that something comes along, though I really think I'll probably just keep this as long as I can.

Upvote 0
I wish I would have found this forum earlier. I finally rooted a couple months ago after having my phone for almost 2 years. Found this forum, rooted, and was enjoying my Inc even more. Now this forum is dying fast. Seems most are already moving on.:( I don't know if I am ready to move on yet. Hopefully when I do I will be able to find all the company from here again on another forum.

Upvote 0
you may be waiting forever, I really don't expect to see anymore 3.5-3.7" smart phones.

Ya, I am afraid seeing what is coming out.... I think your right... That is also a bummer for me. I may actually pick up a Garmin for the vehicle and go back to a standard phone. I don't want to carry around a 4.3" phone or bigger. iPhone4S maybe..

Upvote 0
Ya, I am afraid seeing what is coming out.... I think your right... That is also a bummer for me. I may actually pick up a Garmin for the vehicle and go back to a standard phone. I don't want to carry around a 4.3" phone or bigger. iPhone4S maybe..

Yeah, I have fairly large hands so I don't think 4.3 will be a issue for me. Not sure I'd want to go any bigger.

It's funny you mention a Car GPS, that's exactly why I want a bigger phone then the Dinc, is so I can use it as a GPS in the car, I find the Dinc. too small :(

Upvote 0
Yeah, I have fairly large hands so I don't think 4.3 will be a issue for me. Not sure I'd want to go any bigger.

It's funny you mention a Car GPS, that's exactly why I want a bigger phone then the Dinc, is so I can use it as a GPS in the car, I find the Dinc. too small :(

When I used the Inc's GPS I never really looked at the screen. 99% of the time the screen was off, I just listened for the GPS voice to tell me when to turn.

Upvote 0

I keep looking at the iPhone and it is a nice phone, but there are so many things with Android that I love and have come to the point that I need. I look at ICS and all the things it's got and I find that I really, really, really want those features. I just want them in a phone that it doesn't take two hands to use. Is that unreasonable?

Upvote 0
I keep looking at the iPhone and it is a nice phone, but there are so many things with Android that I love and have come to the point that I need. I look at ICS and all the things it's got and I find that I really, really, really want those features. I just want them in a phone that it doesn't take two hands to use. Is that unreasonable?
I hear ya, I think about the iPhone, but don't know if I could actually do it. But if in the next year for android all you see is 4.3" or bigger, I don't know, I might have to go iPhone or back to a basic phone. Look at the Samsung that ICS is getting put on, 4.6"?? Seriously, even bigger?? My other issue is this, when you see ICS and you know it is coming in the near future on phones in the US, why spend and upgrade on an HTC Vigor or Mot Razer, when you have no real insurance those phones will ever see ICS. Look at our Inc and GB... Still not on our phone and Google is already talking and showing off ICS. I will have to say that is one good thing about Apple and iOS. When they have a new version, the old phones get the update if they can run it. iOS 5 is getting pushed back to iPhone 3GS. Not praising Apple by any means.. just saying

Upvote 0
My Incredible has been flawless from day one! This phone has been everything I expected of it and THEN some! The wife's Incredible has been the same - perfect. While she has no desire to upgrade in the near future, I have been leaning heavily towards the Galaxy Nexus - but I haven't entirely ruled out the Moto Razr either. I plan on tinkering with both of these upon their release and just take it from there. I'm happy to say that if neither of these two "do it" for me, then I'll gladly hold on to my Incredible until something else comes along.

With that said, I'm very curious to see next year's batch of phones that will feature the much smaller, but more powerful, Krait processors. The biggest single drawback with the Incredible has always been its very poor battery life. So - with the batteries not getting substantially bigger (and I hate the ones that require the phone to have a bigger back case), it stands to reason that the best way to obtain better battery life is for the processors to get smaller, and thus, more efficient - saving battery life! Enter Krait. Curious?

Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor details revealed - SlashGear

Also, I'd like to have a little bigger screen - something between 4" and 4.5" maybe - so I'll have to get a feel for the newer, bigger phones firsthand, prior to purchase.

So as of right now, I am firmly on the fence! I'll see what comes to pass, but, overall, I'd say I am 90% satisfied with my Incredible! Great phone!! :)

Upvote 0
What about this one?

Xperia? mini | Android Powered Smartphone - Sony Ericsson

Small in dimension, big on experience. The Xperia mini fits in your pocket, so you never miss a thing. Record your memories in HD video. Change your status and chat with your friends. Love music? Have a favourite game? Personalise the four corners of the home screen with 16 apps. But first you'll need to choose from over 250,000 on Android Market.

Or this one (you can wear it as a watch):

Courtesy of Wimm Labs: The World

Upvote 0
My upgrade comes at the end of January so I have some more time on my hands. I will be upgrading to the Prime when it comes out. In the meantime I'm hoping we get some CM8 love before the end so I can test drive the car before driving off the lot.

Call and try to get an early upgrade. You may have to call a few times on different dates/time to talk to different reps. That's how I got my DInc. I called them and got them to upgrade me a month early.

Upvote 0
I've grown attached to my Incredible, but will be parting ways once the Galaxy Nexus makes a landing. Not sure if I want to sell it yet. I'm always a fan of keeping 'backup' phones and the only ones I have now are either Motorola flip phones are my old EnV Touch 3. So just in case (God forbid) something goes wrong with my Nexus and I cannot afford a replacement at that time, I'll be able to hop back on my Incredible as a safe backup. I love this phone. Would hate to have to give it up entirely.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
I must say that the DINC was a great phone for me...up until about 1.3 years after I first got it (July-August 2011 or so). As my first smartphone, I thought it was very well designed, good size, nice features. Definitely ahead of the game and a trend setter. But after a little over a year problems started--the up volume button became unresponsive, no gingerbread, my optical joystick does not work. Overall I was very happy with the phone, just wish that it lasted a few months longer. I will be moving on to the Galaxy Nexus once it is released and very excited for some of the new features.

Upvote 0
I take back my former statement where I said I'll be ditching the Dinc for the Galaxy Nexus. I'm not as impressed with the Galaxy Nexus as I thought I would be with the specs now official. The lack of an SD slot really kills it for me, so it looks like I'll be holding onto my Dinc going into 2012. I just refuse to use my upgrade for a phone that isn't truly at the top level of phone tech. The Incredible was just that in 2010, and I have no issues waiting a little while longer for my next phone to "wow" me.

Upvote 0
I take back my former statement where I said I'll be ditching the Dinc for the Galaxy Nexus. I'm not as impressed with the Galaxy Nexus as I thought I would be with the specs now official. The lack of an SD slot really kills it for me, so it looks like I'll be holding onto my Dinc going into 2012. I just refuse to use my upgrade for a phone that isn't truly at the top level of phone tech. The Incredible was just that in 2010, and I have no issues waiting a little while longer for my next phone to "wow" me.

No SD card? Instant fail IMO.

Upvote 0
No SD card? Instant fail IMO.

I agree. The very things that Android has going for it over iDevices is the fact that they have expandable memory, replaceable battery, flash and unlocked bootlaoders.

Now manufacturers and retailers are doing all they can to take those options away. Verizon forcing locked bootloaders, Samsung doing away with SD cards, Moto doing away with replaceable batteries. When will Flash be done away with? We all might soon be carrying around an a handset that is too similar to Apple. :mad:

Upvote 0
I have LOVED my Dinc, but it's time to move on. I stopped in Verizon yesterday and ordered the new iphone 4S. My wife bought me a Macbook Pro 2 weeks ago and I took it in to the Apple Store yesterday for some training. One of the guys in there had the new iphone and showed me all of the cool things it can do. Plus, it syncs seamlessly with my new laptop. This is one of my biggest complaints about the Android platform.

I was impressed with the Siri function of the iphone. I know it looks gimmicky, but it worked flawlessly. I spend alot of time in the car and the voice to text functions are far above what I've seen out there.

So, I'm going to make the move to the dark side. I never thought it would happen, but I'm going to give it a whirl (at least for 29 days).

My son still has his Dinc and I'll still lurk on here to find out any new info.

Upvote 0
I have LOVED my Dinc, but it's time to move on. I stopped in Verizon yesterday and ordered the new iphone 4S. My wife bought me a Macbook Pro 2 weeks ago and I took it in to the Apple Store yesterday for some training. One of the guys in there had the new iphone and showed me all of the cool things it can do. Plus, it syncs seamlessly with my new laptop. This is one of my biggest complaints about the Android platform.

I was impressed with the Siri function of the iphone. I know it looks gimmicky, but it worked flawlessly. I spend alot of time in the car and the voice to text functions are far above what I've seen out there.

So, I'm going to make the move to the dark side. I never thought it would happen, but I'm going to give it a whirl (at least for 29 days).

My son still has his Dinc and I'll still lurk on here to find out any new info.

I thought they shortened the "sampling" period to two weeks.

Upvote 0
Jarvis works really well for calls and texting. It is still being developed but is excellent. I haven't tested siri but it wouldnt shock me if Jarvis was as good and I bet it will be better eventually.

IPhone is a great phone but android allows me to make my phone exactly what I want not exactly what ithey iwant

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones