• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Please help me with Cyanogenmod for my Ascend!

I'd like to put this mod on my phone - mainly for the multitouch feature. However, I heard of ways that you can brick your phone while doing this, and it makes me terrified to do Anything.

I downloaded CM7, but now I have to get Clockworkmod to work.

I Was following these instructions: http://androidforums.com/ascend-all...kwork-mod-recovery-2-5-1-8-huawei-ascend.html

But unfortunately, the flashimage.zip is Not included within the post.

Now I'm trying to follow these instructions:
http://androidforums.com/ascend-all-things-root/380900-cm7-easy-installation.html

But the flashimage.zip is also missing in this post.

Can someone please help me? I mainly have four questions.

1.Does anyone have the flashimage.zip file for the Huawei M860 clockworkmod?

2.What does it mean to have a "Lazy Ascend", and how would you know if you do indeed have one?

3.In the second set of instructions, it mentions:

"under mounts and storage, format following...
boot
data
system
cache"

What exactly does "format following" mean, and how do I do so?

4.The USB does not work on my phone. So I'm using Airdroid to send files to my SD card. May this cause any real problems?

I'd appreciate any help I could get, and thank you very much.

I really hate doing this, and I hope I don't have half the world jumping on me for doing it, but if you have to ask all those questions, my advice to you is PLEASE don't try to modify your phone. I don't want to be the one trying to help you when you come back here telling us about all the things that went wrong with it, and asking for help fixing it that we just can't give you without being there to do it for you.

Upvote 0
Well the thing is..The phone is pretty worthless, and I only use it on wifi. I've seen so many people do this to the specific phone - but my problem is mainly having the files.

In all honesty, I probably wouldn't have even asked all these questions if I had the flashimage.zip. I've seen tutorials and could've learned from them.

But I've gotten a bit more curious now. It's not too much of a big deal if I end up messing it up. But I'd at least like to try to do this.

But thanks a lot for your concern. I do appreciate it. :)

Upvote 0
Assuming you're using a windows PC. Download the recovery.zip from the link you posted in your first post, then do the following...

1. Extract the zip on your PC
  2. Enable USB debugging on your phone
  3. Now Power off the phone
  4. Hold end call + volume down + power (this will get you into fastboot and phone will remain on huawei splash screen)
  5. Plug phone to PC with usb cable while it's in fastboot
  6. Now run the install-recovery-windows file in the extracted zip
The flash will take approximately 3 seconds

Power off the phone.

Holding the UP Volume button and END call button and then the power button will boot your phone into recovery mode. From their you can make a backup of your phone and flash roms and mods.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones