• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Random Thought Thread

I can tell I'm back in Shandong Province.
576f95b760037805d275dbb66217a54e.jpg

Upvote 0
Pig is quite a complex character, many strokes. and is a combination of radicals.

There's a free app called Pleco, that I've been using for a long time to help me study.
861096bc47da80f87b9e6d30f65d15c6.jpg

https://www.pleco.com/products/pleco-for-android/

This is a good site as well, if you're interested.
http://zhongwen.com/

There's something like 65,000 Chinese characters, but most students will learn about 3,500 to 4,500, of the most common and useful ones. I only know a few hundred that I've learned I've mainly concentrated on learning spoken Mandarin.

Many words especially quite modern things will use a combination of two or three characters, e.g. 电脑 for computer. 电 electric, or something that is electric, 脑 which means brain, so it's literally electric brain. Another common one is 火车 for train, 火 means fire, 车 means a vehicle, or something moves on wheels. Presumably from steam trains, than ran on coal and fire.

This the one of the most simple ones, 人 pronounced "ren", which means a person. And it is a pictogram of what it's representing, kind of looks like a man.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's a couple more of my favourites, anyone care to guess what they might be. :)
手机:
手 means hand, 机 means machine or could be a device, literally hand machine or hand device i.e. a machine or device that's held in the hand.
打火机:
打 means hit, or to hit something, 火 means fire, 机 again this means a machine or a device. so literally hit fire machine.
牛仔裤:
牛 means cattle or cow, 牛仔 together means cowboy, and 裤 means pants or trousers. so literally cowboy pants.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones