• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

The unofficial "I reserved @ Radio Shack" Thread

Alright fellas I just called my radioshack here in Tempe and they said the preorder is for anyone. I told them I wanted to make sure because I preordered mine already and they specifically said you don't have to be a new customer or be upgrading.

I would call and raise hell that other radioshacks are offering this and not yours. That's some bullsh1t

Upvote 0
And this is why I'll be buying from ATT.

Went into RS today and was halfheartedly greeted by Tweedle-Dum. I asked him about the phone and in between his ever important and apparently humorous texts messages replied with a "huh?". (I'm now thinking I should walk out) Asked again, but then he was busy answering another customer about something that another rep was already helping with. (I should really walk out now) When I finally was graced with his attention he didn't know anything about the phone, only that phones with dual core processors were coming this year to which I responded that reviews claim that it's only going to be good for heavy multitasking and hardcore gaming since you only use one core at a time (I don't even care if I'm wrong at this point). After sending another text to the person who can't live without him for some reason, he replied "Still, it would be cool to have". (Ok I should leave now)

Then Tweedle-dee finished up with his customer to come join the "lets frustrate a potential customer" party. He didn't know much either. Said I could upgrade. Told him I wasn't eligible for upgrade then he said they couldn't do it. After I questioned it again he read more of the same paperwork he was staring at already and said, "oh, yes we can". I didn't even bother to confuse him by asking about the $30 gift card that they might offer as other stores did.

ATT is 2 doors down, I said I was going to check with them, to which they replied sure, come on back, we'll leave the paperwork here for you.

I walked over to ATT and, like a fairy tale, a beautiful and perky blonde girl pranced out from behind the booth with a welcoming greeting. Trying to keep my attention focused on the colorful berber carpet of the stores floor (I'm married) I asked about the phone. She stated that they will be getting them this weekend, took my name and number and gave me her card. She said she'd call me as soon as they arrived. I'll plan on being there at 12 on Sunday to pick mine up... still wondering how and why I ended up at the ATT store.

Cool, but also not, story. Sorry the RS twins were too (trying to be nice) dimwitted to be helpful.

On the bright side, you got to experience the time of a "perky" blonde. Those are the shit! Let us know how it pans out for you.

BTW...good job averting your eyes! lol

Upvote 0
Just visited my local Radio Shack today to pre-order the Inspire. There were already flyers up that advertised the phone and its low $99.00 price near the registers. I pre-ordered the phone for $50 which they give you back as a gift card towards the purchase. I believe the sales worker said the phone was gonna total to about $140 tax included off a 2 year upgrade. I will receive $30 store credit towards accessories, etc after the full purchase of the phone on the 13th. I also received a long receipt that did include $10 off a $40 purchase by completing a survey which i'm going to complete and possibly use towards the purchase of the phone. I'm also selling in 3 old cell phones I have laying around since they accept used phones for credit. My Htc Fuze, Sony Erricsson w580i, and my Nokia E72. This will possibly cover my whole phone purchase. Definitely recommend going through Radio Shack. I'm also going to be able to keep my unlimited data plan all I need to do is swap my sim card to the Inspire. Definitely happy i'm going to be the first one to touch the phone. Can't wait.

Upvote 0
just visited my local radio shack today to pre-order the inspire. There were already flyers up that advertised the phone and its low $99.00 price near the registers. I pre-ordered the phone for $50 which they give you back as a gift card towards the purchase. I believe the sales worker said the phone was gonna total to about $140 tax included off a 2 year upgrade. I will receive $30 store credit towards accessories, etc after the full purchase of the phone on the 13th. I also received a long receipt that did include $10 off a $40 purchase by completing a survey which i'm going to complete and possibly use towards the purchase of the phone. I'm also selling in 3 old cell phones i have laying around since they accept used phones for credit. My htc fuze, sony erricsson w580i, and my nokia e72. This will possibly cover my whole phone purchase. Definitely recommend going through radio shack. I'm also going to be able to keep my unlimited data plan all i need to do is swap my sim card to the inspire. Definitely happy i'm going to be the first one to touch the phone. Can't wait.

140?

Upvote 0
I'm buying on contrat at $99. Include sales tax = $106 rounded up. Probably include the famous $18 fee from AT&T to upgrade, still only nets $124. Something ain't right there at $140.

I'm gonna make sure everything's cleared up before the purchase. I'm just glad I got one pre-ordered. I'm sure i'm not paying much anyways since im selling off 3 phones to them towards the Inspire.

Upvote 0
The sales tax is taken off the full retail price of the phone which is $450. Thats why the sales tax is so high. I live in the Bay Area.

Wait, what? if you are buying it for $99 then you are charged for a 99$ sales tax, not a $450 sales tax. If that was the case, I could sell you 59 cent gum and charge you for a $1000 purchase because that's the amount of 59 cent gum I ordered in my last invoice.

Upvote 0
Since im getting a subsidized price on the phone through the upgrade i'm paying a $40 sales tax off the full retail price of the phone $450. CA state law. I just got off the phone with a worker.

holy crap! :eek: That's one insane law for Cali. You buy a subsidized phone, which you are paying for over a two year contract essentially, and they still make you pay tax on something on an amount you aren't paying for....where's the logic in that?

Upvote 0
Hello all, I found this forum while researching the Captivate and then the Inspire. I think I am pretty sold on the Inspire :) So from reading this thread, it seems like I can't pre-order from RS tomorrow? (I am not eligible for upgrade with AT&T until this Friday) Then again, it kind of sounds like people are getting luck of the draw depending on their RS location?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones