• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Anyone concerned support/updates for G2 will be lacking?

PowerBomb

Android Enthusiast
Jul 7, 2010
Chicago
I'm facing a strange conundrum when it comes to wanting this device.

As-is, if the mobile phone world froze in its tracks today and stayed there, I think I'd feel great buying the G2. Once in a while I still wonder if I'd rather have the HTC One, but the larger screen and battery of the G2 keep winning out.

My concern with the G2 is not about where it stands today.

I'm concerned about going back to LG, and a heavily skinned phone, in terms of updates.

I have had the WORST luck in the world when it comes to always owning the devices that run into trouble with getting updates.

The LG Ally was my first Android phone, I recall getting updates much later than other phones, and after a certain age, LG just stopped supporting it.

Then I upgraded to the Droid Bionic which had one of the worst update debacles in phone history.

I never really thought I'd go back to LG. Not that I hated my experience with them, I also had an LG Dare prior to the Ally, and an Env2, they just hadn't been doing anything to catch my attention these past few years, and then the G2 came along.

I am so concerned that this will be the type of phone I'll be thrilled with at first, and then little by little, it'll never see 4.3, then next month we'll start hearing about KitKat 4.4 and it'll take forever to get that, etc. I would really like to break my trend of always having the worst supported phone.

I'd be upgrading at full retail price by the way. Really don't want to spend 600 and end up getting 4.4 on this device next August.

How confident are people feeling about how LG will support this flagship?

Yeah I'm on Verizon too which could lead to even longer delays in getting updates if and when they come out since VZW is so picky...

I want this phone. I keep thinking about it. I wanted to order sometime this week. But something keeps telling me this is gonna be a bad phone for timely updates. I'm not saying it has to get 4.4 the minute it gets released, I understand that's what Nexus devices are for and that skinned devices need some time, but I do not want to have another device that falls 8 months behind everyone else.

TBH, this will be the first LG device to catch my eye (but I don't have the G2 yet). That said, I haven't been in the Android world that long and will have had only had one device.

No or slow updates will not affect my planned purchase for *THIS* LG phone, but it will for the next device. That is, I plan to get a G2 soon but if, in the next 12 month, we don't get at least 4.3, the G2 will also be my last LG device.

Upvote 0
I think anybody looking for 4.4 on this device in less than one year will be disappointed. That said, I don't think a ton of phones will have it just like most don't have 4.3 right now with a new Nexus/KitKat on the horizon. Heck, the VZW Galaxy Nexus isn't even on 4.3 yet lol.
Have to agree, although I think we'll see 4.4 a bit sooner than a year.

And to the OP, believe me, I understand the frustration of not having the newest updates...........but, here's some food for thought.

1. Your on Verizon, which means you will NEVER have the latest. As IBT pointed out, the Verizon GNex isn't even on 4.3 yet.

2. Are the updates that critical anymore??? Seriously? I'm also the type that wants the latest, but I do have to temper that expectation with the reality of WHY?
2.0->2.1 was BIG. Doughnut to Eclair made Android what it is today.
2.1->2.2 was HUGE. Remember the Froyo talk? Working Flash? Usability? Pure awesomeness.
2.2->2.3 was ok. Gingerbread was just ok, nothing earth shattering.

3.0 Yes, I had a Xoom with Honeycomb. Some was better, some worse but just OK.

2.3/3.1->4.0 was also HUGE. ICS is modern Android.
4.0->4.1 was so-so. Jelly Bean added a few nice things, and it was supposed to be smoother (project butter), but didn't really change much from ICS.
4.1->4.2 was barely noticeable. What did it do again? Guest mode? (which actually is a nice feature).
4.2->4.3 and I still couldn't tell you what it does without a spec sheet. My Nexus 10 and Nexus 7 tablets have it, but don't notice a single thing. And a few revs later and it's still called Jelly Bean.

4.4 should be more major as they're actually changing the name to Kit Kat, but will it really be a game changer? We will see, but I don't think it will.

Now, even though the above is true, I still want 4.4 for none other than the irrational notion that I want the latest. So this next part is just speculation.

I believe LG will do a better job with updates than their past history. Remember, Samsung was also TERRIBLE with updates as well, and they turned that around. Since this is a multi-carrier flagship, I'm betting it will get some decent continued support. LG wants to take on Samsung, and they won't be able to unless they get that right. But that also depends on popularity. Samsung has a hit with the Galaxy and Note line. LG needs something similar. So even if it's their flagship phone, if it doesn't sell, forget support. Companies exist to make money, and if the LG doesn't make them money, they'll move on to products that do.

Lastly, there is always the ROM route. We have decent dev support for the G2 and roms are available. That's huge. So if LG falls down, we can always turn to the dev community.

Upvote 0
Like OP I also started my android experience with LG Ally. Its phone hardware was good but it had very small internal memory. So it desperately needed Froyo update but it took LG several months more than others to update Ally to Froyo. It left me bad taste on LG's software update. Back then Froyo update was big deal as performance difference from Eclair was huge and it brought some useful features like moving apps to sd.

But now difference between 4.1, 4.2, 4.3 are probably not that huge like those days. So being one major version behind the latest one is not that big deal. Great hardware and well optimized stock ROM/UI for good out of box user experience right now is more important in my opinion. If G2 works nicely for you with 4.2 now, I wouldn't worry too much when it would get 4.4.

Upvote 0
Not concerned at all. We have root, recovery, Loki, and rom development already underway. We're in better shape than many GS4 owners when it comes to keeping up with the latest.

True statement as root grabbing OTA's go. The beauty of LG is that we won't lose root. In as much as that we can actually go backward in terms of flashing stock. That's just unheard of in my experience with Android. I'm really digging LG right now.

Upvote 0
The beauty of LG is that we won't lose root.

Sorry to semi-derail, but could you clarify on that part, please? I've not rooted a device before but thought I at least understood the principles/risks/rewards from reading other posts, blogs and articles. So in general, rooting an LG G2 would be different from say, rooting a Samsung GS4...?

To get back on topic, I have changed my mind on what I posted above. I think it'd be reasonable to 'expect' a 4.3 update since the G2 released with 4.2 but 4.3 was 'out' already. After that, more updates would be nice but I wouldn't feel slighted if we didn't get 4.4+.

Upvote 0
I think Google has actually fixed this problem but the average consumer doesn't understand it yet.

Think back before to all the major updates... Each one brought major new functionality (2.1, 2.2, etc) or design (4.0 etc). They were clearly wanted and needed but the carriers and manufacturers were god-awful slow to deliver. This was incredibly frustrating to average consumers and especially to nerds and early adopters like myself. This was considered Androids major weakness although I will point out that Apple puts out updates that are crippled on older devices or doesn't offer key new features for those same devices but at least they get them quick.

This was easily Androids most frustrating problem for users and clearly for Google too. The solution Google came up with was so simple that it went almost completely unnoticed. They introduced Google Play services and decoupled most of their core apps from Android.

So here's why that matters.... Google play services allows Google to update key components of Android without the carriers interference. It cuts them out of the loop so to speak. Now, it can't change everything and it's not a magic wand but short of a major UI overhaul the need for each individual update now is almost inconsequential because... the core of Android is now decoupled. Each individual part of Android, Email, Browser, Keyboard, Camera, Music player, Messaging, Google+, YouTube etc has either been or is about to be made separate.

Just look at yesterday, several Android pieces were all updated individually and the carriers were not involved AT ALL. This allows Google to iterate at a much faster pace. Google+ has seen 3-4 solid updates so far this year as an example.

The simplicity of this solution is its genius. Eventually when everything is separated out, nobody will probably even know their version number. Now the problem is that there are no big "Stage" announcements to generate excitement but that is a small trade off to get the evil carriers outta the loop. Make my phone work, give me some new features to play with every few months and I'm happy.

Upvote 0
Yeah I agree with that. Its surely better but still not perfect. I think though the major issues are mostly resolved. I also think that most of your game changing, shock to the system stuff is a thing of the past. The big changes like Google now, voice activation stuff from Motorola etc are starting off small where you look at it and your reaction is "Oh, OK that's nice" not "OMG" but the service grows into something that is crucial and indispensable.

Upvote 0
Xtremeyouth1: My only comments about the Google Update paradigm as you've presented it, with GooglePlay Services and their apps...

Oh my I thought the Maps update to 7.x was a real crash and burn, and uninstalled it (so have many) and went back to what came stock: 6.something, then updated it via a side-load from another site to like 6.13 or 6.14. The problem there is - now I've forked off what constitutes the path to the latest and greatest. But if you relied on GMaps for just about anything... there was little choice, unless you wanted to deal with a U.I. and functionality catastrophic release.

And YouTube, I think they made it quite feature rich and bloated.

GMail, not very impressed with that either.

What people will end up doing is choosing their own Google Apps for short term relief. But that will come at a price. They / we willl miss out on what the PlayStore is offering (because we will choose to turn off updating), and older versions of these apps *MAY* well get broken hard.

Upvote 0
Stef7 interesting point. I actually like the new YouTube app but can take or leave the Gmail app.

I think your issue is more of a design and function problem than it is an OS update problem. Google, Apple and Windows phone will never make everyone happy since we all have different tastes. I prefer a nice clean look with not a bunch extras and eye candy but I know not everyone likes that.

The great thing is you are able to go back to or update the individual pieces of your OS.

Upvote 0
Seeing as LG is pushing this device hard... On all 4 major carriers in the U.S. and being released in over 130 countries I believe the G2 will be much better supported than previous LG devices. I would like to think it will definitely see 4.4 at the least. In the unfortunate event that im wrong there is always the root and rom option. Hell if my old razr got a few upgrades I am pretty sure the G2 will as well. Just a matter of how fast carriers push them out. The hardware in the G2 will have no problem supporting future updates, so that's a plus.

Upvote 0
Still haven't ordered mine yet, not necessarily feeling any better about the chances of support from LG, but slowly the trickle of support from the dev community is starting to pick up, the Verizon version has 3 or 4 ROMs now and plenty of individual mods to change certain colors or features, get tether working for free, etc.

I've even tried to pester LG on Twitter about supporting this thing, every time they tweet something about one of the great features on the G2 I'd reply "yeah great feature but nobody will care if this phone never gets 4.3 or 4.4" and they'd never reply to me, haha.

I really wish there was somebody in corporate LG to get in touch with. LG came out and said they wanted to sell 10 million of these or whatever the number was. If they really want to compete with Samsung and all other manufacturers, someone needs to clue them into the fact that Android users absolutely want system updates as it's no fun to see every other device running a newer verison than yours. It's best for their business if they learn to stop ignoring this issue. LG had a few good years where they were so popular because of their enV devices and doing innovative stuff. Ever since the era of Android devices started, they've fallen into the background. The innovation on the G2 doing something brand new like putting the buttons on the back in order to keep the bezels small on a large screen is reminiscent of the old LG. Now they just need to give a damn about updating their devices.

But I've seen one or two devs at least hinting that they will give it a shot once factory images come out for the Nexus 5, there will be people trying to port it.

I will probably order soon but I hate to say that I still have that nagging feeling that maybe 6 months down the road I'll be regretting that I decided to give LG the chance with my money again.

Upvote 0
Sorry to semi-derail, but could you clarify on that part, please? I've not rooted a device before but thought I at least understood the principles/risks/rewards from reading other posts, blogs and articles. So in general, rooting an LG G2 would be different from say, rooting a Samsung GS4...?

Sorry, I totally missed this question earlier. :eek:

Not all Androids allow backwards flashing of stock. HTC is the primary one that comes to mind. I think Samsung does allow it, not sure about Moto. But anyway, it's a great thing that hasn't always been in the cards on phones I've owned. If vzw releases an OTA and it includes a closing of the current root exploit, people who accidentally took the update, or people who get new G2's or refurbs with the newest, potentially unrootable software can simply flash original stock and root using the current method.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones