• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Atrix Drops March 6, Preorder Feb 13

The funny thing about all this that its all armchair/benchmark/spec what if arguing...

The ONE GUY who has had his hands one of the Atrix devices now wants an Inspire..

Seriously...lets think LONG AND HARD about this....

That's my point as well. They complain about isheep but they are acting like Asheep. If Marc has played with the phone and had it in his hands and he is now gonna get the inspire what does that tell you. The Atrix didn't wow enough to be worthy of the price / fees

Upvote 0
The funny thing about all this that its all armchair/benchmark/spec what if arguing...

The ONE GUY who has had his hands one of the Atrix devices now wants an Inspire..

Seriously...lets think LONG AND HARD about this....

I got to be honest, I cant for the life of me ponder why people would want a lesser device at this point. :thinking: The Inspire has been done a hundred times already. The only thing new about this phone is that its a full size HTC on AT&T. C'mon a metal case? the difference between a crack or a dent? the Inspire is less in every category other than camera mega pixels which has been proven not make a bit of difference (Droid X vs. Samsung captivate). I think this whole Inspire campaign has gotten out of hand really, I like the device, I like pretty much all android devices, but in this case you are comparing apples to oranges.

Upvote 0
I got to be honest, I cant for the life of me ponder why people would want a lesser device at this point. :thinking: The Inspire has been done a hundred times already. The only thing new about this phone is that its a full size HTC on AT&T. C'mon a metal case? the difference between a crack or a dent? the Inspire is less in every category other than camera mega pixels which has been proven not make a bit of difference (Droid X vs. Samsung captivate). I think this whole Inspire campaign has gotten out of hand really, I like the device, I like pretty much all android devices, but in this case you are comparing apples to oranges.

Fair enough. The people in atrix are cool when we go over there with our opinion...so we will be cool for coming here with yours.

Having said that i am kinda tired...do a quick review of my many (10-15 reasons) why its not JUST the hardware specs that really count in this competition. The hardwares going to function about same as 2.2 is not multi-threaded, so basically we are selecting the better software package along with the less restrictive phone handling and cheaper price over faster hardware that wont provide anything much to the end user except bragging rights at this point.

There is much more detail in the other threads on this side of the argument but thats kind of the gist.

Upvote 0
Fair enough. The people in atrix are cool when we go over there with our opinion...so we will be cool for coming here with yours.

Having said that i am kinda tired...do a quick review of my many (10-15 reasons) why its not JUST the hardware specs that really count in this competition. The hardwares going to function about same as 2.2 is not multi-threaded, so basically we are selecting the better software package along with the less restrictive phone handling and cheaper price over faster hardware that wont provide anything much to the end user except bragging rights at this point.

There is much more detail in the other threads on this side of the argument but thats kind of the gist.

I have to agree this whole Atrix kicks the crap out of everything is unrealistic at best when you look at the picture as a whole besides the dual core and 1G of ram. The way android id optimized right now and the sense optimization with a second gen snapdragon it will fly. I mean we have shown review after review and video after video this thing rocks a 1976 quadrant score, the reviews say it gets 10-11 hours of battery on heavy use the camera is very good and video is solid as well. So the assumption that the Inspire is in anyway lesser because it has a single core is just asinine

Upvote 0
I have to agree this whole Atrix kicks the crap out of everything is unrealistic at best when you look at the picture as a whole besides the dual core and 1G of ram. The way android id optimized right now and the sense optimization with a second gen snapdragon it will fly. I mean we have shown review after review and video after video this thing rocks a 1976 quadrant score, the reviews say it gets 10-11 hours of battery on heavy use the camera is very good and video is solid as well. So the assumption that the Inspire is in anyway lesser because it has a single core is just asinine

I am not going to assume you do not know about processors or about linux OS in general but in NO WAY will the Inspire process like the Nvidia Duo, on top of that Android, is going to start being optimized for dual core and and most likely not FURTHER optimized for 1ghz. Throwing the whole keyboard BS out the window, this phone is being so lobbied against its crazy, forget about Moto bootloader crap the DEVS at XDA will crack this phone as it is the FUTURE of where phones are going. EVERYTHING about these phones right now is for the most part here say, Video blah blah We see this with every single phone, we just saw this whole thing go down with the NexusS. I am very familiar with the specs on both devices and this phone does compare to the new Sammy but falls short of knocking off the Atrix. The difference for me is I am not a FANBOY, I am not even getting a Atrix or the Inspire but if I was, the Inspire does not say enough to even be a runner up. If price is a factor fine, but it does not make the phone not good , that just means its a little TO high end. I dont see anymore fairness here than in the Atrix forums.:(

Upvote 0
I am not going to assume you do not know about processors or about linux OS in general but in NO WAY will the Inspire process like the Nvidia Duo, on top of that Android, is going to start being optimized for dual core and and most likely not FURTHER optimized for 1ghz. Throwing the whole keyboard BS out the window, this phone is being so lobbied against its crazy, forget about Moto bootloader crap the DEVS at XDA will crack this phone as it is the FUTURE of where phones are going. EVERYTHING about these phones right now is for the most part here say, Video blah blah We see this with every single phone, we just saw this whole thing go down with the NexusS. I am very familiar with the specs on both devices and this phone does compare to the new Sammy but falls short of knocking off the Atrix. The difference for me is I am not a FANBOY, I am not even getting a Atrix or the Inspire but if I was, the Inspire does not say enough to even be a runner up. If price is a factor fine, but it does not make the phone not good , that just means its a little TO high end. I dont see anymore fairness here than in the Atrix forums.:(

Well i think the Atrix is THE phone to have if you play games. Beyond that i still think you are stuck with a smaller screen, motoblur, locked down phone, and higher price.

I get what you are saying about the hardware specs but you are not going to convince me that Froyo 2.2 is multi-threaded nor that there will ANY multi-threaded apps before Q2 and only a hand full by the end of Q4.

As far as 12 goes....i could see this phone stretching its legs some finally. By then though..dual core phones will be out from better companies, for less money, and probably with more features.

Its not that we are against the specs, we are just against spending money on hardware thats just going to sit there for bragging rights.

I do think the Atrix will be maybe %5-10% faster even with non multi-threaded apps (from an optimization here or there) and it should scream with certain things like games/video and i/o functions..none of which would have made much difference to the someone who made an informed decision to buy the inspire instead. (i have stated that in 3 or 4 other threads already).

I agree that future OS will be multi-core optimized but you are not taking into account that motorla will probably not bother updating it. True they are not as bad as samsung..but not as good as HTC in this either. 2.3 will be single core written and whatever comes after 2.3 will probably be written to run on both to some extent......Three cycles from now it will possibly be ALL multi-core. (maybe mid to late 2012)?

Also you have to remmeber these are NOT personal computers. They are just phones. Once they are fast enough to run what ever is on them...anything in EXCESS of that is PURE WASTE. Even on the first computers which CAN take extra advantage of extra power didn't take advantage of the first dual core chips. Why on earth would you think phones would succeed where COMPUTERS failed in that regard??? Really?? If anything the computers should have succeeded where the phones would fail..(but they didnt).

So saying "this phone isnt even close because its not fast enough" is comparable to saying "this sugar is not going to work because its not "sugar-re" enough" ITS SUGAR..once we establish that making it MORE sugar-re does pretty much...NOTHING?? Its kind of like that with phones.

As far as the snap dragon not performing as well as the tegra II...its like this.

If two cars are TRYING to drive 35mph then NEITHER ONE is going to somehow "OUT 35 MPH" THE OTHER ONE..they are BOTH going to be going 35...thats kinda how it will be with froyo 2.2 (give or take for simplification).

Now suppose there is suddenly a side road that one car can go 90mph on for a few minutes and only one can do that....thats the tegra II in gaming...but then it has to get back on the road (froyo 2.2) and drive the SAME 35mph..(ok so the tegra II might hit 40mph or so on single threaded os) so its you who is wrong that its going to be some how magically faster. Multi-core processors REQUIRE multi-threaded software to function as they were designed. Key word" REQUIRE"

As far as xda..maybe you are right maybe you are wong. I was all excited about the Atrix and posted in the xda gtab forum (the current reigning authorities on the tegra II) and was IMMEDIATELY told by most there that they would NOT be interested in anything with a locked bootloader...PERIOD. I can pull a link to the thread if you like (do a search..i use same handle there as i do here). After that, my excitement for the atrix was pretty much CRUSHED.

Reactions: Simba501
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Well i think the Atrix is THE phone to have if you play games. Beyond that i still think you are stuck with a smaller screen, motoblur, locked down phone, and higher price.

I get what you are saying about the hardware specs but you are not going to convince me that Froyo 2.2 is multi-threaded nor that there will ANY multi-threaded apps before Q2 and only a hand full by the end of Q4.

As far as 12 goes....i could see this phone stretching its legs some finally. By then though..dual core phones will be out from better companies, for less money, and probably with more features.

Its not that we are against the specs, we are just against spending money on hardware thats just going to sit there for bragging rights.

I do think the Atrix will be maybe %5-10% faster even with non multi-threaded apps (from an optimization here or there) and it should scream with certain things like games/video and i/o functions..none of which would have made much difference to the someone who made an informed decision to buy the inspire instead. (i have stated that in 3 or 4 other threads already).

I agree that future OS will be multi-core optimized but you are not taking into account that motorla will probably not bother updating it. True they are not as bad as samsung..but not as good as HTC in this either. 2.3 will be single core written and whatever comes after 2.3 will probably be written to run on both to some extent......Three cycles from now it will possibly be ALL multi-core. (maybe mid to late 2012)?

Also you have to remmeber these are NOT personal computers. They are just phones. Once they are fast enough to run what ever is on them...anything in EXCESS of that is PURE WASTE. Even on the first computers which CAN take extra advantage of extra power didn't take advantage of the first dual core chips. Why on earth would you think phones would succeed where COMPUTERS failed in that regard??? Really?? If anything the computers should have succeeded where the phones would fail..(but they didnt).

So saying "this phone isnt even close because its not fast enough" is comparable to saying "this sugar is not going to work because its not "sugar-re" enough" ITS SUGAR..once we establish that making it MORE sugar-re does pretty much...NOTHING?? Its kind of like that with phones.

As far as the snap dragon not performing as well as the tegra II...its like this.

If two cars are TRYING to drive 35mph then NEITHER ONE is going to somehow "OUT 35 MPH" THE OTHER ONE..they are BOTH going to be going 35...thats kinda how it will be with froyo 2.2 (give or take for simplification).

Now suppose there is suddenly a side road that one car can go 90mph on for a few minutes and only one can do that....thats the tegra II in gaming...but then it has to get back on the road (froyo 2.2) and drive the SAME 35mph..(ok so the tegra II might hit 40mph or so on single threaded os) so its you who is wrong that its going to be some how magically faster. Multi-core processors REQUIRE multi-threaded software to function as they were designed. Key word" REQUIRE"

As far as xda..maybe you are right maybe you are wong. I was all excited about the Atrix and posted in the xda gtab forum (the current reigning authorities on the tegra II) and was IMMEDIATELY told by most there that they would NOT be interested in anything with a locked bootloader...PERIOD. I can pull a link to the thread if you like (do a search..i use same handle there as i do here). After that, my excitement for the atrix was pretty much CRUSHED.

I just wanted to say and remind you fellas how absolutely awesome it is that we finally are having solid arguments/conversations about which ANDROID phone to get on ATT. Wow

Its been a long time coming and I have to say im excited. Well that, and im excited to finally get the beautiful Desire HD American version lol :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones