• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Best Novel of All Time?

Those are all the novels, there are a decent number of short stories that fit in there and a few more novels that will be released sometime soon (apparently this summer for one and another novel after that).

I would recommend reading them in the order I listed (that they were written) instead of in the actual chronological order of the overall story. Either way could be considered "right" but I read them in this order (started between the time the original 3rd and 4th books were written) and I don't find it at all confusing.

Completely awesome Mr president :)))

This is just what i need to finally revisit enders world:)

thanks a million

Upvote 0
OH MY HAT!!

The best book in my opinion is "Jock Of The Bushveld" a true classic!

Yes maybe I am a super biased just because it is a legendary South African book but it is a wonderful and true story.

It's about a true story... a Staffordshire Bull Terrier dog and his owner.

It is such a good book.

The staffy's name is "Jock" and it is about how things were back in SA when the 1st settlers arrived here in SA away from the chaos in Europe but that is not so important.

At one amazing and epic point in the book... Jock kills a Baboon... FOR REAL.

It is a true story.

No easy task for a little Staffy to kill a Chacma Baboon hey.

Sadly Jock got kicked in the head by I think it was a Kudu in the end??

Can't remember but then Jock lost his ability to hear because of getting kicked in the head... it was a quite a while ago that I read it but it was really good nonetheless.

It is really an awesome book.

Tells you what it was like back in the old days of SA when we 1st arrived... I really enjoyed it!

11 / 10

Jock of the Bushveld - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Chacma baboon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kudu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

AMAZING book!

I will never forget it :)

Upvote 0
yeah that is true... for me its when my heart gets faster that's when I find it great
That is such a good point. Whenever a book can make you forget you are reading and give you that physical reaction, whether its a faster heartbeat or a tear to your eye, just make you actually FEEL something, you know there's something there. I feel the same way about movies, when you can lose yourself like that its a rare and great thing.

Upvote 0
It is interesting to see what some people think is great literature.

That is such a good point. Whenever a book can make you forget you are reading and give you that physical reaction, whether its a faster heartbeat or a tear to your eye, just make you actually FEEL something, you know there's something there. I feel the same way about movies, when you can lose yourself like that its a rare and great thing.

That for me would be a 'great book'. Great literature can be a great book but it looks at the technicality of the writing style, the flow of the story etc that author uses. Any metaphors, similes that are use and hidden tones and messages of the story.

Upvote 0
That for me would be a 'great book'. Great literature can be a great book but it looks at the technicality of the writing style, the flow of the story etc that author uses. Any metaphors, similes that are use and hidden tones and messages of the story.
True. Enjoyable and technically well written are not necessarily the same thing. ( but can be)

Upvote 0

yeah that is what I mean... because certain things make others like a book where as you may hate it... that is a good thing that everyone hates different things..

As I have gotton older I have began to read more and I love old stories and love love stories but like something magical too

Upvote 0
Dune by Frank Herbert

He creates a universe that speaks to religion, environmentalism, gender issues, technology, politics, parenting, and so much more...
This is my vote too. It is such an amazing book (and series).

Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck and One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest by Kessy are two other fantastic books. I think A Clockwork Orange also gets overlooked, it is a very odd read to start, but is very good.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones