• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Fed Up With this Google Garbage

I am not rooted, haven't rooted any one if the 3 Androids I've had, and I have no deal breaking issues. Have I had a few minor issues, sure, I'm carrying a tiny computer in my pocket, there are going to be issues. The one major issue that I did have was resolved to my satisfaction. But overall, my phone just works. I've kicked around the idea of rooting, and may eventually do it, but for now, if it ain't broke.....

I completely agree cmybliss.

I too have never gotten around to rooting and am happy with my Android phone.

Like you said, there are some annoyances such as Bloatwear like Blockbuster and Facebook, that I would like to remove, but all in all, I like my Android phone.

The only thing I do agree the the OP is that the Google Play name is stupid sounding, and like the OP, I personally have no use for the Music or Movies. being offered.

Upvote 0
I agree with jerofld, if Google Play is giving you trouble then you may need to go into settings and uninstall the updates. Then you can simply open the market and let it update again.

In reality, the switch from the Android Market (much better name, I agree) to Google Play was very little more than a name change. It did cause some issues for people at first, but most updates have a habit of doing that. Now, it is working much better than it did in the past.

As far as it being a force fed app, it is no different than what the market has always been. If you don't want books, music or movies then you can leave that part alone. Most users are looking for a full featured experience and welcome extras from Google.

To answer you original question: I still love my Android phones and each one just gets better and better.

Reactions: chrlswltrs
Upvote 0
Windows? Whats that? :eek:

UbuntuPhone is the next big thing.
A Linux OS Powered phone. You watch !!
Always remember, folks, you heard it first from Charlie Frost

oops...they already did that :D

I don't know about Ubuntu Phone. I do know they're making an Ubuntu desktop to work with Android phones.

Ubuntu for Android | Ubuntu

But I do know that there are some ARM tablets that have native Linux (Ubuntu) installed on them instead of Android. So it's not impossible. I just don't see the point, I guess. Projects like CyanogenMod are trying to make their own sub-culture of Android. Like the CyanogenMod App Market, or whatever it's going to be called, that is basically the Amazon App Store + a Root app store. You could have an Android phone that has none of the Google apps installed into it, including GPlay, without losing any capabilities. If you're a fan of the hardware, but not a fan of Google, I'd actually recommend you check out if your phone is supported by CyanogenMod and just not flash GApps.

Upvote 0
This thread is confusing... So because of google play your phone is slow and runs crappy? Also how are you using data unless you are activly using an application that uses data or have updates running?

50 - 70MB every day...with no use at all
Updates off
GPS off
Wifi off
Blueteeth off

about 1.5 GB every month that I cannot account for....gone.
One app says DIALER is the culprit. But I can't even force it to quit or stop it.

I have to either turn the phone completely off or turn off Mobile Data to stop the bleeding. Yahoo it. TONS of people with this problem.

I think my phone may need rooting or a factory reset.

U.G.L.Y...You ain't got no alibi

Upvote 0
50 - 70MB every day...with no use at all
Updates off
GPS off
Wifi off
Blueteeth off

about 1.5 GB every month that I cannot account for....gone.
One app says DIALER is the culprit. But I can't even force it to quit or stop it.

I have to either turn the phone completely off or turn off Mobile Data to stop the bleeding. Yahoo it. TONS of people with this problem.

I think my phone may need rooting or a factory reset.

U.G.L.Y...You ain't got no alibi

If you are burning up 1.5 GB of data with no explaination then I would go to a local carrier store and tell them about it and see what they can do than rant about it on a forum. Thats just me though. :)

Tons of people with this problem? This is the first I have ever heard of it.

Upvote 0
Well, it's overly complicated and distracting...imo
It broke my phone...in fact
It's not optional
It consumes too much space....imo
I don't want Google Music service
I dont want Google Book service
I dont need Google Games
It's another Google force fed app
It added too many support apps to my phone
It slowed my phone down
My phone now uses far too much data even when not in use
I don't like it..I like the plain old Market better

Ok..that's a start

Seriously, my phone has not worked well since GP installed.

;)

I'm sorry, but Google play couldn't have possibly done that to your device. I assure you it was something else.

Upvote 0
Please remember....

This is NOT a "Please OMG please help me" thread....

Help was not solicited.

Just a rant and an opinion.

Im finding Android no longer suits my tastes or needs so Im moving on.
Just sitting here in my wheeled chair with nothing else to do but rant over a bit
of frustration. Nonetheless, there have been a few useful and interesting replies.

:D

Upvote 0
Please remember....

This is NOT a "Please OMG please help me" thread....

Help was not solicited.

Just a rant and an opinion.

Im finding Android no longer suits my tastes or needs so Im moving on.
Just sitting here in my wheeled chair with nothing else to do but rant over a bit
of frustration. Nonetheless, there have been a few useful and interesting replies.

:D

It doesn't hurt to try and help anyway. Nobody is forcing you take our advice.

Upvote 0
I'm sorry, but Google play couldn't have possibly done that to your device. I assure you it was something else.
+1

I think you are blaming google play for your problem when all the problems you have described could have not have happen just because the android market changed to Google play.

Take it to your local carrier store and tell them about it. If you don't get answers there happy trails and good luck with whatever OS you go with next. :)

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
If you are burning up 1.5 GB of data with no explaination then I would go to a local carrier store and tell them about it and see what they can do than rant about it on a forum. Thats just me though. :)

Tons of people with this problem? This is the first I have ever heard of it.

The explanation is that there are apps on the phone using the bandwidth that cannot be removed or forced to quit. I mentioned 2 earlier. But for good measure here's yet another...DIALER.

What I will give you the nod on is that these are not the only things that have led me to decidingo n a change away from android. But there's notthing wrong with that is there? Shirley a forum allows opinions on both sides of the fence right? Weill, this thread is the other side is all. No worries.

As mentioned, a forum rant is preferable to going Postal....agreed? ;)

Google is your ....make that Yahoo Search is your friend Try this...
"Android excessive data"
Do some or all of you Work for Google maybe? :p
Never heard of it....lmao

Upvote 0
To me, it sounds more like a rogue app that you downloaded and can't figure out what it is.

But I know for a fact Google Play isn't doing as you said, because it'd be all over the internet.

But how about you help us out, and post a LogCat for proof?

After all, if it is as you say, this is very bad for all of us!

Upvote 0
The explanation is that there are apps on the phone using the bandwidth that cannot be removed or forced to quit. I mentioned 2 earlier. But for good measure here's yet another...DIALER.

As mentioned, a forum rant is preferable to going Postal....agreed? ;)

Google is your ....make that Yahoo Search is your friend Try this...
"Android excessive data"
Do some or all of you Work for Google maybe? :p
Never heard of it....lmao

No I have never heard of anyone having this problem. So your telling me your carrier said that their was nothing they can do to fix this and you just have to deal with "losing" 1.5gb of data per month when you are not using it purposly?

I find that hard to believe. How old is your phone?

Upvote 0
Are these the correct specs for your phone?

• CDMA
  • Virgin Mobile
  • Bar
  • 3.2 Megapixel Autofocus Camera and Camcorder
  • Music Player for MP3, WMA, AAC, & AAC+
  • Android™ 2.2, upgradable to Android 2.3
  • Virtual QWERTY Keyboard
  • Large 3.2” Capacitive Touch Screen – fast and accurate response
  • One-Touch Speakerphone
  • Version: 2.1 + EDR (Enhanced Data Rate)
  • Full HTML Web Browser with Google Search†
  • Hearing Aid Compatible (M4/T4-Rating)
  • 1.9 GHz CDMA PCS, 800 MHz CDMA
  • EVDO† Rev. A, 1xRTT
  • 4.47" (h) x 2.32" (W) x 0.52" (D)
  • 4.60 oz
  • 16M Color CGS, 480 x 320 Pixels, 3.2”
  • Up to 150 minutes
  • Up to 168 hours
  • Social Network Capabilities

Upvote 0
No I have never heard of anyone having this problem. So your telling me your carrier said that their was nothing they can do to fix this and you just have to deal with "losing" 1.5gb of data per month when you are not using it purposly?

I find that hard to believe. How old is your phone?

Grrrrrrrrrrr

Stop trying to fix the problem already! :D

You're upsetting yourself. I'm just venting frustration.
I already said I wasn't asking for help.
But thx just the same amigo.

Im feeling better :)
in the morning, I may pump a couple of 12ga buckshot cartridges into it
and be merrily on my way.

Nice friendly bunch you'se all are.
Group hug.
G'nite all.
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

Upvote 0
Grrrrrrrrrrr

Stop trying to fix the problem already! :D

You're upsetting yourself. I'm just venting frustration.
I already said I wasn't asking for help.
But thx just the same amigo.

Im feeling better :)
in the morning, I may pump a couple of 12ga buckshot cartridges into it
and be merrily on my way.

Nice friendly bunch you'se all are.
Group hug.
G'nite all.
zzzzzzzzzzzzz

The reason you are getting the replies that you are has to do with the nature of this forum. It is an Android forum first and foremost, but you have to understand that that also makes it a place for support as well as Android enthusiasts.

The support side brings out the trouble shooting nature in just about all of us. We try to get to the bottom of problems like the ones you are having. We read what you are saying and know, due to experience and an understanding of the OS, that what you are describing isn't normal. This makes most of us want to solve the problem by delving deeper into it and sourcing out what it actually is. We look at things like this a think it could be a rouge app, an app with ads, a virus or malware or some combination of these. This is what we do here. We see problems that people have and try to help them with solutions.

The enthusiast side of us wants to help prevent anyone from leaving Android with a bad taste in their mouth. We also don't want other people who are new to Android reading threads like this and thinking that this is in anyway normal. We all understand that people change OSs as well as brands for various reasons and we support people in their decisions, but as I said before, we don't want them leaving with a misunderstanding. We encourage people to use Android, not shy away from it.

If you truly have a problem with Android and want to go try iOS, WP7, BlackBerry, Symbian or even Palm then you will find plenty of support in your decision. You may get some funny looks if you choose Palm, but that is beside the point. The point is that if you have a problem there are plenty of people that are willing to help. If you've decided after all this time that Android is no longer for you, then there are plenty of people that are willing to help you figure out the right OS for you. In other words, there is help if you want it because that is what we do.

Upvote 0
The reason you are getting the replies that you are has to do with the nature of this forum. It is an Android forum first and foremost, but you have to understand that that also makes it a place for support as well as Android enthusiasts.

The support side brings out the trouble shooting nature in just about all of us. We try to get to the bottom of problems like the ones you are having. We read what you are saying and know, due to experience and an understanding of the OS, that what you are describing isn't normal. This makes most of us want to solve the problem by delving deeper into it and sourcing out what it actually is. We look at things like this a think it could be a rouge app, an app with ads, a virus or malware or some combination of these. This is what we do here. We see problems that people have and try to help them with solutions.

The enthusiast side of us wants to help prevent anyone from leaving Android with a bad taste in their mouth. We also don't want other people who are new to Android reading threads like this and thinking that this is in anyway normal. We all understand that people change OSs as well as brands for various reasons and we support people in their decisions, but as I said before, we don't want them leaving with a misunderstanding. We encourage people to use Android, not shy away from it.

If you truly have a problem with Android and want to go try iOS, WP7, BlackBerry, Symbian or even Palm then you will find plenty of support in your decision. You may get some funny looks if you choose Palm, but that is beside the point. The point is that if you have a problem there are plenty of people that are willing to help. If you've decided after all this time that Android is no longer for you, then there are plenty of people that are willing to help you figure out the right OS for you. In other words, there is help if you want it because that is what we do.

:)
Thx. At this point (or at least the one I was at last night) I was ready to roll over this thing with a fork lift. ha ha. Ever get so frustrated with something you get to your boiling point?

Just to be safe, I went and read the forum rules to make sure I hadn't crossed any lines and I don't think I did. I "think" it's ok here to have an opinion on the opposite side of the spectrum occasionally as long as it's not a personal attack and you don't use certain words related to being "happy".

As far as my phone...man, it's eating bandwidth like crazy. And I stick with my guns...I think the New Google Play is horrendous. My opinion. I liked the old Google Market Way better. I think rooting my phone may be an answer to some of my issues but then I've read horror stories of bricked phones and other rooting issues so I haven't gone that route. Maybe this old LG Optimus is just outdated?

DIALER is the main culprit. I can sit there and watch it going through bandwidth like there's no tomorrow and it's already been said that there's not really anything you can do about it. That draws wind. I don't like it when things are detracting from your phone and you're deliberately left helpless to do anything about it.

So, Yes...I'm miffed with Google for their meddling too much with the phones and privacy but there are still things I like about the Android system. Currently shopping to see what else is out there but cellular use overall is not quite as much fun as it used to be with many carries putting very low limits on bandwidth unless you go with their contracts and higher priced plans. (I know, that's not Google).

Anyway, your point is well taken. :p
But it's not fair to present only the good.
There are some down sides to Android as with anything and people
should be free to read all opinions and come to their own conclusions. (imho)

Cheers!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones