• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Gingerbread 2.3 was here, then gone, now it's back

When will VZW push a fixed GB OTA

• 10/11/11

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 10/17/11

• 10/24/11

• 10/31/11

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 11/07/11

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 11/14/111

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • 11/21/11

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • Don't care (rooted already, etc)

Votes: 23 21.5%
  • Before Christmas

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • Never, the lobsters ate all the testers so it got cancelled

Votes: 11 10.3%
  • It isn't coming at all now

Votes: 13 12.1%
  • Any minute now

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Immediately after Jimmy Hoffa's body is found

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • The day after the apocalypse

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Sometime after the sun goes supernova

Votes: 9 8.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
What part didn't work?

Had the update available pop up, when i clicked 'restart and install' it counted down and did nothing.

Since then I have did 'checkin' changed date to jan, 2012. followed the steps on that 'other android site' (lol) to wipe cache, etc, etc....

So i'm still waiting on the first update, my Inc is wifi only at this point but really want this update for the principle of the matter :)

Upvote 0
Only change the date to 1 month and.make sure you checkin

Hmm, started with a 1 month change, checkin before and after, then went to 2 months (jan)

in that thread listed the only thing i didn't get was it said to boot into recovery then boot into hboot. how the hell do you boot into recovery? I mean i git into recovery from hboot so maybe i'm looking at this the wrong way?

Upvote 0
Hmm, started with a 1 month change, checkin before and after, then went to 2 months (jan)

in that thread listed the only thing i didn't get was it said to boot into recovery then boot into hboot. how the hell do you boot into recovery? I mean i git into recovery from hboot so maybe i'm looking at this the wrong way?

None of this stuff worked for me at all. Are you still trying to get it OTA? Did you try that manual method I mentioned a page back?

Upvote 0

The directions here: Second GB Update/Patch Won't Reboot Issue - SOLVED! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com are simple and straightforward. Unfortunately, they don't solve my problem.

I get the second update to download and start the install. it reboots and gives me the "no space" error.

Reactions: NightAngel79
Upvote 0
Took me three tries, but this worked. I had to keep deleting apps to free up memory. I had to get to about 425 MB free. Judging by the comments to the link, YMMV on how much space you need to free, but it was worth it for me to keep trying.

Exact same result here! First Try, not enough memory, 2nd try, nothing happened at all, 3rd try, after another round of app deletes, worked fine. One paid app that had to be deleted reinstalled fine, without any data loss. Much less hassle than a factory reset.

I can hold off awhile on the Rezound now:)

The only problem that remains is the GPS Location data nag screen.

Upvote 0
It took me several hours, but I now have both updates installed and see no problems. I did backups of everything I could. The first update was done manually from the file (renamed to update.zip) I referenced earlier. I then used hboot and it took. I tried the final patch from a downloaded zip file, but it always failed. After a lot of date and time fiddling I got an OTA notification and went throught the routine three times (after restoring memory to about 425 mb), and it always hung at the reboot stage. I finally found a solution (Second GB Update/Patch Won't Reboot Issue - SOLVED! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com) and it did the trick. No apps or data was lost. The information I got earlier from HTC (a reset will happen during upgrade) was incorrect. Good luck to all and thanks for the help along the way.

Reactions: NSutherl
Upvote 0
Got the initial update notice the other day and told it OK, it said it needed to reboot but never did and then no update and tried all of the tricks here to no avail. Finally yesterday I downloaded and manually updated, it worked great and now on the 406 version. Did update check and it showed second update downloading stopped at about 1/3 way. It has been stuck at 1/3 since yesterday afternoon and so far nothing has gotten it to budge. Any ideas?

Upvote 0
I called support about my upgrade problem. They suggested a factory reset. I said that if I'm resetting the phone you should just send me a new one that's already got the upgrade. She said "OK". So I suggested that she should send me a DINC 2. She said "OK". So ... I have a DINC 2 coming shortly. Hopefully it's as good as the DINC. At least now I have a shot at ICS ...:p

Upvote 0
Got the initial update notice the other day and told it OK, it said it needed to reboot but never did and then no update and tried all of the tricks here to no avail. Finally yesterday I downloaded and manually updated, it worked great and now on the 406 version. Did update check and it showed second update downloading stopped at about 1/3 way. It has been stuck at 1/3 since yesterday afternoon and so far nothing has gotten it to budge. Any ideas?

This thread worked for me this morning.

Second GB Update/Patch Won't Reboot Issue - SOLVED! - Android Forums at AndroidCentral.com

Upvote 0
While on the phone with support the upgrade downloaded and failed to install. Sort of made it easier to say that the upgrade doesn't work on my phone

I did the clear cache thing.....then deleted a few of the apps that I don't really use....gmail....pandora....etc...etc....

Then set the date forward one month and tried again. The first couple of times I tried it....it wouldn't reboot.

Went through the process about three of four times....and finally it rebooted and installed.

Pain in the frickin ass though.......

Upvote 0
I did the clear cache thing.....then deleted a few of the apps that I don't really use....gmail....pandora....etc...etc....

Then set the date forward one month and tried again. The first couple of times I tried it....it wouldn't reboot.

Went through the process about three of four times....and finally it rebooted and installed.

Pain in the frickin ass though.......

I did all that ... multiple times... had a free 30 minutes so I called support and am now getting an upgraded phone.

Upvote 0
OK guys, for those who can't get any of the methods on here to work for yourself (and like myself), please check nytroutbum's post #3982 and JLR's posts #3984 & #3986 should work for you....I can confirm this. I've tried, since getting the update to install on Tuesday morning (which failed), every method on here to get the update again with no success. This manual method has worked for me (at last). It would be a good idea to still back everything up, but all my data was still on my phone. Good luck.

Not for me. OTA came up Mon nite, went thru some motions, ended up at red exclamation. I pulled battery and it rebooted, saying update successful, but still had 2.2. Phone has been working.

Tried all above and got the following:
E:Can't open /cache/recovery/command

--Install from sdcard--
Finding update package--
Opening update package--
Verifying update package--
E: failed to open /sdcard/update.zip (No such file or directory)
E: signature verification failed
Installation aborted

The file is in the root directory on the SD card. Not in any folder. Named Update.zip.

What now (i've tried everything mentioned above all week)??

Frustrated! :mad:

Upvote 0

Been there, done that. Problem is it's stuck in the middle of downloading the second update and has been for a day now. Nothing seems to get the update to continue to download and I have found no way to try and stop it and start it over. This is not failing to reboot the update or getting a low space message just hung in downloading.

Upvote 0
Tried naming it just update (without the .zip).

This time it went further but still aborted.

The failure was:

Verifying current system--
assert failed: apply_patch_check("/system/framework/com.htc.resources.apk". "7cabafc0e726874387577f86320cdcbff4757dab". 9f38439fc426ed368460d28774fc90c945962c28")
E:Error is /sdcard/update.zip
(Status 7)
Installation aborted

Help!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones