• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [GUIDE] Noob's Guide to 'Galaxy Prevail -All Things Root' 0.3

I have cm7 on my phone, can i use this stuff posted here?
You're roted with cwm and cm7. What else wouldyou like to add? You have to be more specific to get exactly what you need. :p

Also, this guide is no longer maintained. We should point him to the sticky thread for more up to date information. :)

Upvote 0
So does all of this still work in Gingerbread? I'm totally out of my depth here with phone lingo (give me legal software and esi issues and I'm all over it). And I assume I'll still be with Boost.
Much of this was only for froyo.

For example the newer root works on both froyo and gingerbread but the one listed here most likely only works on froyo.

Shabbymod .9 only froyo, and themes that are listed are only for froyo.

However you will find most things for gingerbread available here as well.

http://androidforums.com/galaxy-pre...l-things-root-guide-updated-01-13-2012-a.html

Upvote 0
I apologize if I'm on the wrong forum. Can never figure out the best place to post. I've gotten great advice wherever I do post however. Thanks. I have a 16GB SD card. I have it partitioned as such: FAT 12686MB, 2048MB EXT4, 688MB EXT4, 591MB SWAP. I have l1.42GB of internal memory available. My RAM is around 222MB and usually has around 70MB free. My problem, my apps open slow, sometime freeze or my phone even reboots on its own after freezing. Do I need to get something to increase my RAM (I've seen apps that say they do) or something else? My KoumaMod Settings is Data (would SSM speed things up). Too many options and I have no idea where to start. Just want to use my Prevail to the fullest potential. right now I can hardly open up facebook without it freezing. SDBooster??? What apps or settings would help? Thanks again

Upvote 0
SSM would probably speed your phone up. This would be because the data for all your apps would be stored and run from the internal memory, instead of the sdext. You may want to think about repartitioning your card though, since the dalvik will be stored in the second ext4 partition and will roughly take the same space as your apps. With SSM you probably wont need more than 1gb (1024mb) for each ext4 partition since the internal memory will also be used in this mode

Reactions: kayaker68
Upvote 0
SSM would probably speed your phone up. This would be because the data for all your apps would be stored and run from the internal memory, instead of the sdext. You may want to think about repartitioning your card though, since the dalvik will be stored in the second ext4 partition and will roughly take the same space as your apps. With SSM you probably wont need more than 1gb (1024mb) for each ext4 partition since the internal memory will also be used in this mode

Appreciate your reply! So I should change my second ext4 partition to 1g? Do I leave all the other partitions the same? Are there any other steps I need to do or just go in my Koumamod and change from Data to SSM??? Thanks again, much appreciated

Upvote 0
Appreciate your reply! So I should change my second ext4 partition to 1g? Do I leave all the other partitions the same? Are there any other steps I need to do or just go in my Koumamod and change from Data to SSM??? Thanks again, much appreciated

You can leave the other partitions the same if you wish. It won't hurry anything. As far as other steps, you're going to need to do a factory reset since the way your sdcard is being used is going to change.

Right now your first ext4 partition is mounted as /data. This means that it contains all of the phones user data. Once you switch to ssm it will only hold /data/app and any other data that remains will be unnecessary and just take up space that could be used for apps.

Upvote 0
Ok, I just don't do this often enough to remember what I did last time. So...I did the factory reset and now I want to repartition the SD card. When I do I get the message "SD Partitions in use - you must disable all A2SD utilities and unmounts all SD-card partitions before continuing". So what do I do know? So I was setting up the partitions as such - FAT 12686MB, EXT4 1654MB, EXT4 1082MB, and SWAP 591MB. Am I ok?

Thanks

Upvote 0
So....I am back. Got my SD card partitioned after factory reset. Kouma is now SSM. My SD partitions are FAT 12686, EXT4 1636MB, EXT 4 1100MB and SWAP 591MB. So why does my internal storage say it only has 106MB free and I haven't added back any of my apps??? Is this normal? I usually had about 1G of free internal storage.

SSM doesn't show the extra storage the same way that data mode does. Since its not using the ext4 partition exclusively for data it doesn't show it as the available data.

Try installing a large app. I bet your available space won't go down by very much. :)

Also, to see how much space tpu have, open terminal emulator and type
Code:
df
it will show a listing of the partitions. /data/app is the first ext4 partition, /data/dalvik is the second ext4 partition

Upvote 0
SSM doesn't show the extra storage the same way that data more does. Since its not using the ext4 partition exclusively for data it doesn't show it as the available data.

Try installing a large app. I bet your available space won't go down by very much. :)

Also, to see how much space tpu have, open terminal emulator and type
Code:
df
it will show a listing of the partitions. /data/app is the first ext4 partition, /data/dalvik is the second ext4 partition

You're right it didn't go down much! My phone is running much faster, at least for now and no force closures of facebook etc. Thank you! I can actually use my phone without wanting to throw it out the window everytime is slows down or force closes an app. Oh, where do I open terminal emulator??

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I rooted my prevail a couple years ago using this guide (in a different incarnation). I know NOTHING about phones, so literally I could not have done this without the guide. :)

I see theguide has changed and there's this new list of all the rooting options available. Everyone seems to be very excited about how condensed it is. Unfortunately, since I know so little about phones, I simply can no longer find what I'm looking for on that list.

I got a new SD card and I want to partition it and use part of the space for internal memory. Is there anyone who can point me to idiot level instructions for this? Preferably the same ones I used last time?

Thanks!!

Upvote 0
I rooted my prevail a couple years ago using this guide (in a different incarnation). I know NOTHING about phones, so literally I could not have done this without the guide. :)

I see theguide has changed and there's this new list of all the rooting options available. Everyone seems to be very excited about how condensed it is. Unfortunately, since I know so little about phones, I simply can no longer find what I'm looking for on that list.

I got a new SD card and I want to partition it and use part of the space for internal memory. Is there anyone who can point me to idiot level instructions for this? Preferably the same ones I used last time?

Thanks!!
I answered in the other thread. No need to double post we will see it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones