• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Have you been affected by the SMS Bug?

Have you had text messages sent to the wrong contacts?

• Yes

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • No

Votes: 39 52.0%
  • Never heard of this bug until now

Votes: 29 38.7%

• Total voters

Nightwind Hawk

Jul 29, 2010
Many Android users (and news sites) are at anger with Google for not prioritizing a bug where a text message will be sent to a random contact rather than it's intended recipient.

More information at these articles:
Android still has horrible text messaging bugs that'll get you fired, busted, or otherwise embarrassed -- Engadget
Neowin.net - Android bug playing Russian Roulette with text messages

I was surprised because I hadn't even heard about it, or seen it talked about here. :thinking: Maybe those who use 3rd party apps are not affected..?

This hit Slashdot because it was made out to be a big deal that afflicted millions of users by APPLEgadget.

Naturally, because I call engadget APPLEgadget I was meta-moderated into troll by apple fanboys.

After this story was posted people spammed the Google bug about it saying 'me too' with no useful debugging information or how to reproduce it to generate even more hype around it.

I have never seen this bug on either stock android or on any of the 'skinned' interfaces.
I won't say it's BS but the stories citing millions and tens of millions creating sensational hype, especially on the apple leaning news sites (which seem to be the only ones that are publishing stories about this) is being sensationalized into the heavens.
One cited 'thousands of job losses and divorces' :rolleyes:
Yeah whatever..

Upvote 0
you are not the only one! :eek:

Same here.

Another concern is that social, weather, shopping apps,etc., that keep changing location and security settings on their own, overriding my preferences.

McAfee is warning about the vulnerability of GPS and Wi-Fi location services on all Android devices.

My sister-in-law is one of those oblivious heavy facebook users letting everyone know her every move. She's one of those young, exceptionally attractive women.

She thinks-not (hardheaded ultra-liberal ever-trusting that she's protected 24/7 by Law Enforcement and has a complete and balanced SHEEP mentality).

She's been stalked by pervert hacksters that know her location and every move.

She won't listen one bit to my brother or myself about the dangers of social networking.

Upvote 0
I have had this happen, and it is not sent to a "random" person. Actually when you click a thread, it does not select the one you hit.

IE I may click a thread with my wife, but it will open a thread with my brother, and if you just type fast, you may never notice you have the wrong thread open.

For a long time I thought it was my fat fingers, but then I started to pay close attention and saw it happen first hand.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones