• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many remember this stuff?

I remember all eleven I'm afraid. My phone number was Jackson 4-5434. My QSL was KPH 5768. I swapped and collected QSL card. Sending as many as you could stuff in an envelope with a four cent stamp. Post cards were a penny. I still have a Coors can in my fridge that requires a church key. I remember collecting empty pop bottles for their deposit money.. two cents each. I remember the lucky few that had an air conditioner for their car... rolled up into the window. I mowed the lawn as a kid with a push reel mower. I remember when a Daisy air rifle would knock a sparrow out of the tallest tree or the back window out of the neighbors house. I remember when we got our first 45 record player. The record player we had when I was little only played 78's and was a nice piece of furniture. I was taught how to drive in my father's 1936 Ford pickup. I could go on but old men need their rest. lol

Upvote 0
Main reason I remember my original phone # is because I use it for my PIN everywhere, so unfortunately I won't be sharing :eek:
I'm pretty young so only the church key (but not for it's original use). We used it mostly to open those huge cans of juice like Juicy Juice and Hawaiian Punch.
We had a box for our milk deliveries, no chute. Our house was built in the late 70s, so I imagine they weren't putting them in anymore. I think I remember seeing a typewriter eraser in my dad's desk, but not sure. Anyway, cool list. It's funny to see so much "tech" devoted to beer! :D

Upvote 0
I remember knowing all my friends numbers off the top of my head when I was a teenager; nowadays I don't even know my family's numbers, I just call through contacts!

I think that's true for most people today. We have become so dependent on technology to remember everything for us. I know some people who just adds #s to their contacts list. So when they see the numbers, they know who calls. Their way of lessening the dependency on tech.

Upvote 0
I want to get high, high, high. Oh, how I miss the ditto machine!

dittoyp2.jpg

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I remember my 1st number, just 5-digits. It's still my father's number toady, albeit with a few more digits added over the years!

My grandmother's number when I was a kid was "'Central'28"

I remember knowing all my friends numbers off the top of my head when I was a teenager; nowadays I don't even know my family's numbers, I just call through contacts!

Yeah, in the cell phone/smart phone era, I really can't recall any numbers. My wife's, mom's, folks, siblings - nada :eek:
However, I know the numbers to nearly all my vendors off the top of my head since I have to call them from a landline. Quite sad.

Upvote 0
Wow, I had all but forgotten party lines! Those were too much fun, for sure! And those black and white tv's with the rabbit ears on top.

I remember when I was 10 years old, and we finally got a color tv.
The very first show I was able to watch was a show set in India, about a pet elephant (called Maya, I think) owned by two teenaged boys. One was a very attractive young Indian boy, and I think on the show his name was Raji, and the other was played by Jay North of "Dennis the menace" fame.
These memories are priceless. Thanks to OP for starting us down memory lane. It was a much simpler time then, but the wheels of technology were already starting to turn, and the Antichrist of technology had already been born,:eek:;) JKJK

Upvote 0
Wow, I had all but forgotten party lines! Those were too much fun, for sure! And those black and white tv's with the rabbit ears on top.

I remember when I was 10 years old, and we finally got a color tv.
The very first show I was able to watch was a show set in India, about a pet elephant (called Maya, I think) owned by two teenaged boys. One was a very attractive young Indian boy, and I think on the show his name was Raji, and the other was played by Jay North of "Dennis the menace" fame.
These memories are priceless. Thanks to OP for starting us down memory lane. It was a much simpler time then, but the wheels of technology were already starting to turn, and the Antichrist of technology had already been born,:eek:;) JKJK

You got way better reception than us.

We called that Johnny Quest! :eek:

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
Do you remember when oil for the car came in a can? I cleaned out my shed last year and tossed three different oil spouts made to pierce the can. Do you remember when butane lighters first hit the market? A person should be collecting wick lighters for they will be obsolete very soon. Did you ever own a car that had a jack that hooked to the bumper? Do you own any cuff links? Suspenders? Bow tie? Have you ever filled up your car from a pump that you had to hand crank? ... and it was $.15 a gallon? Did you ever own a watch you had to wind? Did you ever buy a soda that was mixed in front of you by a soda jerk? Ever use an ice pick? Fountain pen? Shoe horn? Clothes pins? Matches that would strike on anything abrasive? Tooth paste you mixed in your hand? Shaving cream you mixed in a mug? Bowl where an employee reset the pins? Have your family doctor come to your house?

Upvote 0
Everything but skate keys and milk chutes. There's an old apartment bldg in Nashville that has small doors in the hallway (2' x 1.5'). The girl in the office said she thought it was for milk, but I'm pretty sure it was for ice delivery for the ice box. I was just trying to remember "S & H" the other day cause I was across the street from where my mom used to cash in her green stamps.

I was delivering in that apartment building again today.
Here are the "doors" I was talking about.
doit2it-albums-stuff-picture6022-doors.jpg

Longshot guess. The apartment used to be a hotel and the tiny compartments were where you put your shoes for a free overnight shine. Some European hotels still do that.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

You got way better reception than us.

We called that Johnny Quest! :eek:

Good memory - That show was called "Maya" - not to be confused with "The Adventures of a Jungle Boy" that had a cheetah as the animal co-star. "Jonny Quest" was a scientific mystery-solving show, that also happened to have an Indian orphan as one of the kid stars.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones