• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help ICS Anticipation/Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
we are in the early stages of rolling out Android 4.0 for the HTC Sensation and HTC Sensation XE and upgrades will be more widely available in the next few weeks. The update for the HTC Sensation 4G and HTC Sensation XL will follow. Once we start pushing out updates it will take time for all carriers in each country to get the update. We are working closely with our carrier partners to nail down update schedules for our other smart phones and will have more to share very soon.

They started rolling out Sensation/XE updates in the first week of April, and they are still calling it "early stages" - so maybe the updates will be "completed" in last week of April (optimistically) - about one month.
Then, Sensation 4G/XL - another month perhaps?
(and then wait for schedules for other phones) And even once they start pushing updates, it will take time for all carriers to get the update - whaaa?? are they using carrier pigeons with no functioning wings to push the updates along on unpaved roads on a miniature carriage with square wheels??

I don't like where this is going....
{frustrated}

breathe... it can't be that bad... hopefully, we will get the updates early next month.

Upvote 0
Just some food for thought from around the globe.

If it's not the developer Nexus, you wait for updates. Verizon Galaxy Nexus owners have had to learn patience on their updates. Same will be true for any Sprint Nexus - different radios.

Early HTC One X adopters have been paying the price on software defects. HTC put out a maintenance update today.

Remember our first month with the 3vo? Yeah, like that for them.

ICS promises some performance upgrades. We all want those.

The 3vo has been out for 10 months. I doubt anyone's phone is working any less well than it did the first week you had it. (Mine's better, I've gotten updates and I'm rooted.)

If you've outgrown your 3vo, fine, there are exciting new models just around the corner.

But please, the 3vo was no one's mistake, certainly not HTC's.

Our phone outperforms the Sensation, hands down, and it was the lessons learned from the 3vo and Sensation that led to Rezound. And now in turn to One X, and from there, the upgrade to the LTEvo.
If you think that this phone failed, it's time now to compare the LTEvo to the 2013 model that isn't out yet and see what they did wrong with the 2012 version.

Designing and manufacturing new handsets with new hardware and software technologies does not happen overnight. They don't come out every two and a half years with leaps to perfection.

They come out every year, with tangent products with incremental changes in between.

They EVOle.

And if you think that the LTEvo is the true Evo successor, consider this - there are Evo users who have never owned the 3vo who somehow firmly believe that they run just as fast as the 3vo, somehow believe that they get better battery life than the 3vo, and somehow think that they are not fairly treated over ICS - on a phone with half our ram and one-eighth of our built in storage.

Did I mention the part that when the Sprint Network Vision update completes, the 3vo will work on the 800 MHz band, while the Evo, Shift and Photon won't?

Had we gotten the magical, standardized platform of last year, we would have gotten a lesser screen (color quality), less ram (more app and Sense problems and an overall slower phone) in the form of the Sensation.

So, yeah, I lost my beloved kickstand because of the second camera lens - and I knew that when I bought it.

But please - the 3vo was the successor to the Evo in every way.

And when we finally get ICS, then we can try to tell ourselves that our big software expectation from the 3vo pre-release days were met spot on and we weren't left out in the cold after all.

I, for one, will be telling myself that because it's true.

I won't be revising history or be in denial of my 3vo enjoyment.

The only expectation that HTC didn't meet on this issue was they revised their Q1 update for us to just after that. And they announced the expectation change back in January.

That's what I think. ;) :)

Upvote 0
Did I mention the part that when the Sprint Network Vision update completes, the 3vo will work on the 800 MHz band, while the Evo, Shift and Photon won't?
I didn't know that about the EVO 3D - good to know!

And when we finally get ICS, then we can try to tell ourselves that our big software expectation from the 3vo pre-release days were met spot on and we weren't left out in the cold after all.
:)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
What is this all about?! Sorry if that's a noob question.:(

My fault for not linking or elaborating, it's not a noob question at all - and even if it were, apologies for questions here are never necessary. ;) :)

Specs on the phones are not what we thought before, details here -

http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-4g-lte/528377-should-we-worry-about-800mhz-1900mhz-debacle-2.html#post4232668

Network Vision is the name of the build out happening right now to the Sprint Network.

It includes very compact, very modern electronics cabinet going to each tower and an update to the main data centers and relays to fiber optics instead of radio and microwave. Details and pictures -

Network Vision Explained - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

What it means to us -

First, CDMA 1x Advanced. That's a dramatic leap in number of calls and subscribers handled per tower, and a much broader reach of coverage. That's due in part to Sprint using the 800 MHz range they've converting over to us from former Nextel use.

Next, it removes the 3G bottlenecks. Instead of all of us having variable 3G speeds, we should all expect from 1 to 2 Mbps downloads consistently.

1900 MHz LTE is rolling out to towers and cities right now. Awaiting proposal approvement from the FCC to also add 800 MHz LTE. Like 800 MHz CDMA, that will extend the reach of the LTE service. Another round of tower updates won't be required, the new tower radios are remotely programmable.

Finally, for those that want walkie talkie like service, Sprint Direct Connect contracts are offered so you get Nextel like functions on the modern network.

Translation - backbone network and towers capable of serving as many or more subscribers as ATT or Verizon.

Although Sprint is starting LTE late, the network build out will complete before Verizon finishes.

Network Vision/LTE Deployment Running List - Sprint 4G Rollout Updates

Picture of LTE coverage when complete

Here's pictures of coverage for NY, both 3G and 4g, in our forum discussion.

http://androidforums.com/sprint/410067-network-vision-lte-rollout-6.html

Did I remember to bookmark the nationwide 3G map? Of course not, sorry! :embarrassed:

So, the 4G won't apply to the 3vo, but the CDMA updates will.

For many of us, consistent data at around 2 Mbps, and no coverage holes is all that many of us will ever need for mobile.

That, along with ICS for the 3vo. ;) :)

Upvote 0
because the 4G enhancements he is talking about are LTE and the 3D is Wimax, therefore the 4G rollout that is in progress now will not work with the 3D, only those areas that already have 4G will work with the 3D.

So basically, since I don't currently have 4G coverage on my 3V0, I never will? That's pretty ridiculous to sell a 4G phone to a customer and charge $10 for "Premium Data" when they will have no chance of ever being able to use it. The guy at the Sprint Store told me a while back that Sprint is expanding their 4G Network and that I should be able to take advantage of it when it happens. Guess he lied?

Now I'm pissed.

Upvote 0
So basically, since I don't currently have 4G coverage on my 3V0, I never will? That's pretty ridiculous to sell a 4G phone to a customer and charge $10 for "Premium Data" when they will have no chance of ever being able to use it. The guy at the Sprint Store told me a while back that Sprint is expanding their 4G Network and that I should be able to take advantage of it when it happens. Guess he lied?

Now I'm pissed.
I am in the same position as you are. Unfortunately it is my current understanding that if you have a WiMax device and do not get "WiMax 4G" coverage then you will not be getting 4G coverage in the future unless you upgrade to a LTE device.

Sprint is expanding their 4G network, but it is not the same technology that is in our Evo3Ds. (WiMax) It is a new 4G band known as LTE that our Evo3Ds do not have radios for.

Frankly, I'm not too happy about it either... but that's just life. I'm looking forward to my LTE upgrade next year to experience 4G for the first time.

~ ArmyX

Upvote 0
Just so I'm clear though because I will be in SF and LA soon....the LTE expansion won't effect the already existing wimax 4G coverage will it? From what I understand wimax will still be operational.

I would assume they would only turn off WiMAX to an area only if LTE was installed to replace it.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones