• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Liquid Frozen Yogurt v1.71 (FRG83 Built From Source!!! Get It While Its HOT!!!)

RRS Poll - Please Rate this ROM only if you have flashed it.

• 5 Star ROM Rating: Elite

Votes: 42 84.0%
  • 4 Star ROM Rating: Outstanding

Votes: 6 12.0%
  • 3 Star ROM Rating: Average

Votes: 2 4.0%
  • 2 Star ROM Rating: Not Ready for Primetime

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1 Star ROM Rating: Not Usable

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Speaking of camera, I did notice something. I don't know if it's the ROM or what, but my camera app seems to be stuck on the negative setting. And for some reason, I can't pull out my options to change it. I only just noticed the other day (I've got a 15mp camera at my disposal, and the Droid's is mediocre at best, so I didn't notice it before my review, sue me). Has anyone else had this issue? If so, does anyone know a fix?

I just checked my camera and all is functioning fine. Probably is not the rom if it works on one phone and not another?

Upvote 0
Speaking of camera, I did notice something. I don't know if it's the ROM or what, but my camera app seems to be stuck on the negative setting. And for some reason, I can't pull out my options to change it. I only just noticed the other day (I've got a 15mp camera at my disposal, and the Droid's is mediocre at best, so I didn't notice it before my review, sue me). Has anyone else had this issue? If so, does anyone know a fix?
I just checked my camera and all is functioning fine. Probably is not the rom if it works on one phone and not another?
I don't have any problems with my camera (still or video) either.

Upvote 0
Review - Liquid Frozen Yogurt 1.71 - Sorry for being late to the party :D

Installation & Setup
As usual, LFY comes with Titanium Backup pre-installed (which I love!). So I passed the initial log-in and let TiBU restore my apps and system data. I then signed into Google and my Gmail and Contacts would not sync. I had to go to settings – accounts and sync – and go to the Google account. Contact and Gmail were not checked. Simply check them and problem solved. LFY has always been an easy ROM to setup, largely because they include TiBU pre-installed. I was up and running in about 40 minutes.

Speed & Performance
I felt that stock kernel handled very well. I easily could’ve kept it but I ended up flashing the Slayher 1.7 1100SLV. Performance was fantastic for me for the first 3-4 days. On day 5, I started to notice some slowdown. A reboot fixed the slowdown but it began to happen so often that I would end up rebooting several times per day. I do not believe this is the experience felt by the general community. Many praise LFY 1.71 for its performance, so I believe there must be some issue in my setup or a reflash is in order.

The Slayher kernel performed very well for me on Interactive, but I ended up going back to Performance by day 3. I get really frustrated whenever my phone (or computer) stalls or hangs. My main concern is speed, even at the expense of battery. Speaking of battery, I felt LFY 1.71 probably had the best battery life out of the ‘fast’ ROMs, which was no surprise to me. But if you do want to prolonged battery life, run the kernel on Interactive. Its really a great medium between speed and battery conservation. LFY 1.71 is definitely one of the highest performing ROMs in terms of performance. I know this is a goal of the Liquid team and they achieve it in nearly every iteration.

Slayher 1.7 1100LV
Short Bench: 181
Long Bench: 455
Quadrant: 1572

Features
We got features!!! Many of us bring up our love for features in these threads and the Liquid team was listening. They’ve added a customization application aptly called “Liquid Tweaks”. Some of the features it includes is a built in CPU Governor, the ability to change the colors in the notification pulldown, LEDs blink even when the screen is on, auto brightness tweaks, rotary lock option!, and lockscreen music controls to name a few. I really feel that the addition of these features pushes LFY above the ‘fast ROM’ niche to a ROM that competes with the all around best. To all ROMs, the same sheriff is in town, but he bought some new guns :p

Themes
As usual, Liquid and his team release every ROM with a number of themes available. LFY 1.71 currently has at least 10 high quality themes available for download. My current theme of choice is rEVOlution, lovin it!

CAP201010121223.jpg

Conclusion
LFY1.71 is a great experience to add to your phone. For me, it did have a few bugs such as some slow down and maybe 2 reboots, but I attribute the slowdown to user error as this is not what is typically experienced with this ROM. This build in particular (I feel) is a special build. I always felt the Liquid team was very capable and this current build solidifies the team in arguably the top 3 best dev teams working on the OG Droid. I may start using a 1-10 ranking system because 1-5 does not allow me to be accurate enough. If LFY 1.6 was an 8/10, then 1.71 is a 9/10, with exception to my slowdowns, it was simply perfect. I’ll divide the 9/10 in half so the score corresponds to past scores, giving this bad boy a 4.5/5.

Overall Rating: 4.5/5

Note: Scores will now be out of ten instead of 5. I will divide the scores in half so that they correspond to the RRI.

Upvote 0
I upgraded to 1.7 through rom manager with no problems. My issue is when i go to change themes (blueberry, invertino, ect ect. It comes up to where the boot image that changes to DROID then stars then DOES. It eventually goes to the eye then back to DROID then DOES and continues the DROID DOES with the stars in the background and just loops unless i pull the battery. I tried wiping data and cache wich resulted in a force close when the phone boots up and says touch the android to continune? Any ideas whats going on?

Upvote 0
Is there a way to change fonts in email or messaging? Are all the themes the same?

One alternative, at least for messaging, is to use Handcent, for which there are tons of fonts available. I know of no way to change email fonts without changing the entire system fonts.

If you want to change system fonts, there are tons of fonts available here: 71 Flashable Font Packs - Change your system fonts - xda-developers.

I know these fonts are for the EVO 4G, but I've tested 7 of them myself without any problems -- BUT what I did to make sure there weren't any problems is to open the zip archive (don't extract or otherwise unzip the zip file) for each of them that you want to try and delete the last two listed fonts (which aren't on the Droid) -- in other words, delete gcsh00d-hkscs.ttf and ucsh00d_c.ttf and then flash the font zip file just like a theme, without wiping.

It's a good idea to make a backup before you try any of these.

Upvote 0
every time the phone reboots, I am forced to re-accept a couple of apps that request permission - gTasks and Google Voice.

Anyone else experiencing this issue?

I haven't had this problem once. I think it only asked me one time in the very beginning.

Has anyone had trouble installing the Twitter update from the market? It will download but fails to install. I have Twitter already but think it's the built in app.

Upvote 0
I know what my issue was - I had not performed a proper reboot, and was only rebooting when swapping batteries - so it kept asking until I performed a proper reboot.

As for Twitter - yes, same problem since the second I installed it. I suspect that Twitter is not set up for being run from System space, and thus will not allow you to apply updates to it. Other apps do allow that, and thus I think it is a Twitter problem.

I suppose, though, that now would be a good time to clamor for an update to 1.72 replacing apps installed in /system with the latest versions....

Upvote 0
Note: Scores will now be out of ten instead of 5. I will divide the scores in half so that they correspond to the RRI.

I def think that the out of ten system would more accurately reflect a proper grading for ROMs. I think I will copy your approach, and just round up when grading in the poll.

Also, it's great to see someone else getting their mug out there for people to throw darts at. lol

Upvote 0
I def think that the out of ten system would more accurately reflect a proper grading for ROMs. I think I will copy your approach, and just round up when grading in the poll.

Also, it's great to see someone else getting their mug out there for people to throw darts at. lol

Bring it on!!! I'm ready to fend off that Spartan Army as well :D

Upvote 0
OK, got a question. using the stock LFY 1.71, all is good, going to play with kernels later on. however, I have a question, or 2 or three.

First of all, I see the Liquid's tweaks things, and that is pretty kewl - but I want a darkened notification bar and the like as is seen in Smoked for LFY, but I want the Widgets to remain as they are now, not rounded and shined up and all that.

What's gonna be the easiest way for me to import just the modified notification bar from SLFY?

Upvote 0
Guys, I have a question. I don't think it's specific to this ROM, probably more the result of the higher speed kernel. But I was on a longer trip this weekend using the Navigation and even though I had the droid plugged in, it continued to discharge (i.e. battery was discharging faster than it could charge). By the time of my destination, I was down to 30% and the phone was fairly hot.

Anyone else experience this? Do I just manually need to crank down the max speed so that it's not working so hard? Or just drive slower? :p TIA.

Upvote 0
OK, got a question. using the stock LFY 1.71, all is good, going to play with kernels later on. however, I have a question, or 2 or three.

First of all, I see the Liquid's tweaks things, and that is pretty kewl - but I want a darkened notification bar and the like as is seen in Smoked for LFY, but I want the Widgets to remain as they are now, not rounded and shined up and all that.

What's gonna be the easiest way for me to import just the modified notification bar from SLFY?

I would download the smoked theme zip, open it, and delete all of the apps out of it. Or even delete the entire app folder so that nothing app related is flashed, only framework changes.

Reactions: johnlgalt
Upvote 0
Guys, I have a question. I don't think it's specific to this ROM, probably more the result of the higher speed kernel. But I was on a longer trip this weekend using the Navigation and even though I had the droid plugged in, it continued to discharge (i.e. battery was discharging faster than it could charge). By the time of my destination, I was down to 30% and the phone was fairly hot.

Anyone else experience this? Do I just manually need to crank down the max speed so that it's not working so hard? Or just drive slower? :p TIA.

LOL, if driving slower doesn't work, I would do exactly what you suggested and manually lower your clock speed when using the navigation for an extended period of time. I usually drop mine to 600MHz. Besides draining the battery, it can overheating and subsequent reboots. It has happened to me. Getting reboots while using navigation is just about the worst time to reboot. I've gone way off course because of it. No one likes a 10 mile u-turn :eek:

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones