• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

LockScreen - Do you use a PIN/Pattern/Password at all?

OtterNZ

Lurker
Jan 28, 2012
This is a curiosity question. Do you use a PIN/Pattern/password to lock your phone, or do you not bother and just leave the default slide to unlock?

Me? I'm torn between convenience and security. I've tried no lock at all, and ended up with friends posting rogue facebook updates. I've tried PIN lock, which I felt was the most secure, but it took longer than I would like to unlock the phone. I've settled on a pattern lock, because it's quick enough to not be a bother, while (hopefully) taking long enough for someone who might have stolen the phone to figure out, for me to have enough time to unlink services/credit card and change passwords.

Although I'm tempted by the efficiency of some of those custom lock screens, hehe.

I use pattern lock. I have it set so that the phone will lock itself after 5 minutes of screen off, so it's as convenient for me, but will keep someone else from accessing my phone.

I also use an app called Unlock with Wifi to keep my phone unlocked while I'm at home, as I'm not worried about someone stealing my phone while connected to my wifi.

Upvote 0
I used to use a custom lockscreen (widgetlocker) with an invisible lock, so basically, unless they know exactly where the invisible lock is, or if they have no knowledge of such locks, they can't open it. Its basically an invisible iphonesque slider.

Can't they just press the home button to bypass Widgetlocker? I'm sure it was possible when I was using it, but I don't use it anymore for that reason.

Upvote 0
I go back and forth also. I've tried no lock, slide-to-unlock, pattern unlock, pin unlock, face recognition unlock, and I'm always torn on the security / convenience thing. I ended up with just no lock. My friends don't really post rogue Facebook statuses, and I rarely just leave my phone lying around. If it gets stolen by an outright thief, it'll be primarily for the hardware, and I can remotely wipe the data anyway.

Upvote 0
I don't protect my phone because the convenience of the HTC Sense 3.0 lockscreen gets kind of ruined by it.

You can keep the Sense 3.0 lock screen with a pin/pattern lock. When you open an app with the lock ring, it requires the pin/pattern then.

Also, Widgetlocker has a Sense 3.0 widget. Not that I see you getting widgetlocker just for this, but as a general FYI for people reading.

Reactions: Tattycakes
Upvote 0
I use pattern lock. I have it set so that the phone will lock itself after 5 minutes of screen off, so it's as convenient for me, but will keep someone else from accessing my phone.

I also use an app called Unlock with Wifi to keep my phone unlocked while I'm at home, as I'm not worried about someone stealing my phone while connected to my wifi.

Pretty much the same setup as me except I use the Sense 3.0 lockscreen with Widgetlocker.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
Pretty much the same setup as me except I use the Sense 3.0 lockscreen with Widgetlocker.

Oh, I use widget locker with the Sense 3.0 option, too. I put my audio widgets on the lockscreen so I can quickly pause, skip track, etc quickly without unlocking my phone :)

Upvote 0
On my Daily Driver (personal non-work)phone, I rarely use security patterns as the only person with physical access to it is myself, and as sleepingseason mentioned, it can mess with Sense 3.0/3.5 lockscreens if you use them. Widget Locker has a lot of options to integrate it with a security pattern (or use the invisible lock as chanchan05 mentioned), if you feel that you need one. I do, on occasion, use security patterns if I'm out somewhere like a bar or with a girl I'm dating who is nosey. A time and a place, I suppose.
If you are using a phone with a front-facing camera, there is an app available on the Android Market called GotYa! which can be very handy if you're worried that your phone may be stolen. According to the description on the market; "GotYa! takes a silent snapshot through the front facing camera of the criminal who is attempting to use your device, whenever the screen lock is entered incorrectly. After taking the picture, it acquires the location of your device and forms a Google maps link, and then send it with the time stamped picture to your email or Facebook."
Of course, everyone has different situations, lives, places they frequent, etc. I never use security patterns while I'm at home because it's a pain in the butt when the screen times-out, or you use your phone frequently, and you have to keep re-entering the security pattern/code every time you wake it up. However, some places if work do not allow cameras and/or phones on the premises, and it certainly can't hurt using a security pattern if you need to leave your phone behind in the car.

Upvote 0
Can't they just press the home button to bypass Widgetlocker? I'm sure it was possible when I was using it, but I don't use it anymore for that reason.

In the Widgetlocker settings, there's an option to turn off home button and menu button unlock in lockmode. Basically, I set my widget locker to open only to the lock slider, and will not respond to any other action.

Upvote 0
Adults don't play with other peoples phones so no need to lock it. That's how it is in my world anyway.

Agreed, but if it is stolen/lost the lock will protect your information from instant info/data theft. At least until you can get to a PC and use the tracking/security app(you hopefully have) to find your phone or wipe your data.

Reactions: saptech
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones