• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Long time customer switching from Sprint to Verizon and the HTC One M8

if youre unable to simply download supersu from play store after running weaksauce,it may be youre on a new enuff software version that it is no longer working. weaksauce mounts a new xbin with the binaries installed,so it may just not be able to do that now(hence the no binary error message)

were you able to solve your bootloop?

Upvote 0
Well, I'm S-OFF and now am trying to install TWRP, but I'm running into problems. When I try the flashboot method, I get this:

cannot open twrp.img
I've also used the file's original name, thinking maybe I shouldn't have renamed it after downloading it, but I get this same type of message:

cannot open openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-m8.wlv

I also tried using GooManager, but it tells me "no recovery file detected."

I DID download the file to the root of my SD card, too.

Upvote 0
Welcome to the side of truth, justice and darkness!

You have either your filename or your download hosed up.

Download from http://techerrata.com/file/twrp2/m8_wlv/openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-m8_wlv.img

Verify md5 =
999b36fc73df53f90abc75f11e4195bb

Put your phone into fastboot USB mode.

Copy the image file to where you have fastboot installed.

command window -

fastboot flash recovery openrecovery-twrp-2.7.1.0-m8_wlv.img

Upvote 0
That's EXACTLY what I'm doing, but I still get that annoying error. At the risk of sounding stupid, and I've done this before, but can you re-explain fastboot mode on the M8? I ask because something just doesn't seem right. "HBoot" is highlighted on the bottom, with "fastboot USB showing above, highlighted in red.

Is that correct?

Upvote 0
That's EXACTLY what I'm doing, but I still get that annoying error. At the risk of sounding stupid, and I've done this before, but can you re-explain fastboot mode on the M8? I ask because something just doesn't seem right. "HBoot" is highlighted on the bottom, with "fastboot USB showing above, highlighted in red.

Is that correct?

That's absolutely correct.

Do me a favor - in your command window do -

dir

And copy results here (hint, see the upper left button of the command window) and put it inside
Code:
 tags. 

If that goes wrong, please post a screen shot.

Upvote 0
Update...

Just tried something and this is what I got, in a VERY rapid response, too:

I think this is OK, correct?

That looks exactly correct, go ahead and go into recovery using your on-screen menu (might have to go back to bootloader first, I don't remember).

If it works, and I believe that it will, please say what you did - and remember to remove that img file from your SD card.

Upvote 0
OK, I'll try using the on-screen menu, because I know that using GooManager didn't work.

GooManager is golden when it works and a PITA when it doesn't.

Ditch it, you can't go wrong with fastboot flashing and it's important to have the record of what worked because you won't use it often.

Upvote 0
Success. I manually entered recovery and did a nandroid backup (since I haven't yet installed a ROM). Now I guess I just have to figure out which ROM to use. I was on Viper on the EVO LTE and liked it. I think there's one for Verizon's M8, right?

As far as what I did, I'm trying to remember. Believe it or not, I think that what I did was twofold:

1. Made SURE that I opened the CMD window from the folder in which the fastboot application on my PC was located (it was in the platform-tools folder), and
  2. Had to retype the file name correctly. As embarrassing as it may sound--hey! we're all human--I think when I typed in the fastboot commands and all, I didn't end the file name with ".img," but had, I think, ended it with ".wlv" mainly because of the window size limitations of the CMD prompt and being unable to actually see all the characters. Duh. :p

Upvote 0
BTW, on a related note--whenever I tried to download directly to my SD card, I kept getting the message, "You cannot save to this location. Please try another destination."

I then had to download to my PC, copy the file, then paste it to my SD card of the phone that's connected to my PC. I'm sure there's something I didn't do, perhaps, to prepare my SD card. Any suggestions?

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
Uh oh. For some inexplicable reason, my phone appears to be bricked! I went to recovery to change a setting regarding the storage location, then when I went to reboot it, it said, "No OS installed!" Then it tried to reboot, and it has been stuck on the white HTC screen for the last several minutes. I did some research and did a hard reboot to get to recovery, then restored the nandroid backup I had just made after rooting.

Any idea why this happened?

Upvote 0
BTW, on a related note--whenever I tried to download directly to my SD card, I kept getting the message, "You cannot save to this location. Please try another destination."

I then had to download to my PC, copy the file, then paste it to my SD card of the phone that's connected to my PC. I'm sure there's something I didn't do, perhaps, to prepare my SD card. Any suggestions?

Welcome to KitKat, Google did that as a security feature. Nope, not kidding.

I can either call out the Marines and we'll get into the wonders of xml editing, link you with an app that fixes it, or - let you know that the custom roms have the fix baked in.

Uh oh. For some inexplicable reason, my phone appears to be bricked! I went to recovery to change a setting regarding the storage location, then when I went to reboot it, it said, "No OS installed!" Then it tried to reboot, and it has been stuck on the white HTC screen for the last several minutes. I did some research and did a hard reboot to get to recovery, then restored the nandroid backup I had just made after rooting.

Any idea why this happened?

What did you change about storage locations?

If you were trying to fix the SD card write, it doesn't work that way and that's probably what happened.

Are you good and running now?

Upvote 0
Holy smoked Vader, you just about broke everything you could within your first 4 hours with root! :p

Welcome to the S-off club, and really glad you got everything fixed up!! :)

I still can't figure out what Google was thinking with the decision to remove write to the SD card from within the OS. :thinking:

No matter, all is well in the realm. You have S-off and a confirmed working nandroid. :D

PS: I'm in on the T-shirt deal. ;)

Upvote 0
Well, it has taken a while, but I've slowly got things back to "normal," whatever that might be. :p

The last thing I'm fiddling with is K9 Mail. When I installed it on the M8 earlier in the week upon receiving this phone, it quickly loaded the Emails. However, it's not doing exactly that now. I've set the polling and other parameters in the same manner as I've always done, but it won't load Emails like it should. Weird.

Upvote 0
Well, it has taken a while, but I've slowly got things back to "normal," whatever that might be. :p

The last thing I'm fiddling with is K9 Mail. When I installed it on the M8 earlier in the week upon receiving this phone, it quickly loaded the Emails. However, it's not doing exactly that now. I've set the polling and other parameters in the same manner as I've always done, but it won't load Emails like it should. Weird.

No offense but why K-9?

And I'm asking as a former K-9 user.

If you're not partial to HTC Mail, have you checked out MailDroid lately?

Upvote 0
I got used to K9 Mail and like it.

The problems I had with some of the newer stock and related Email programs all centered around server deletions. For example, my primary Email address is a Hotmail one. If I set that up as an Exchange account or similar, the one thing I just could not do was stop the Emails from my PC's account, the server so to speak, from being deleted when I deleted them from the Exchange (my phone's) app. That to me was and still is a deal-breaker.

Any Email app I use has to have that capability, along with unlimited file attachment sizes, images, etc.

Upvote 0
I got used to K9 Mail and like it.

The problems I had with some of the newer stock and related Email programs all centered around server deletions. For example, my primary Email address is a Hotmail one. If I set that up as an Exchange account or similar, the one thing I just could not do was stop the Emails from my PC's account, the server so to speak, from being deleted when I deleted them from the Exchange (my phone's) app. That to me was and still is a deal-breaker.

Any Email app I use has to have that capability, along with unlimited file attachment sizes, images, etc.

OK, that's a feature of Exchange ActiveSync and basically how IMAP accounts work.

You can always use the POP server for almost any email service out there and then that can't happen.

On HTC Mail, and most others, choose manual setup to input POP details.

Otherwise, they find the IMAP or other server performing syncing across all your clients.

Upvote 0
But K9 already does this, so at the risk of sounding argumentative, which I'm not trying to be, why would I switch to another Email app? What's so special about HTC Mail or Mail Droid that K9 doesn't have/do?

If you do need actual Exchange ActiveSync support (not Exchange IMAP, that's different), I don't think that you can find a better app than HTC Mail. I've certainly tried.

As far as MailDroid goes, I just felt that it had a more modern, easier interface. Personal preference, and you can demo it for free to decide.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones