• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root NEW Amaze 4G w/ICS 4.0.3 today!

1BlinkGone

Feb 21, 2011
Just got my phone about an hour ago from the Brown Truck. It came with ICS 4.0.3...
So it's time to look for root guidance and do it! lol. Can't wait to get the case & screen protector on it, both of which shipped today. I was surprised that Asurion sent me a brand-new, factory sealed AMAZE 4G (NIB), complete with the battery and charger, all minty-fresh. What a blessing. Now to tackle the wifi hotspot issue-... lol

Can you say ROOT for starters? I had a choice of the RUBY or Samsung G2S... though I like the Sammy, between display clarity (I didn't get this to watch movies, etc so I wanted clarity over enhanced black levels), build quality, heft, and solid feel, etc., to me the HTC was a no-brainer. Imho, this size screen may be just right.

Now to get busy and research the ROOT solutions AND the WIFI hotspot work-around. I am not paying TWICE for the same data line when I've been using this feature with a laptop for over a year. I hope these carriers get presented with a class-action lawsuit over this.

Initial thoughts in comparison to my MT4G- first- this thing is FAST. For my needs, I don't need a quad-core, and this phone rocks. Wow. Love the display. Can't wait to get my protector on it so I can pull the plastic with all the writing on it (hehe) Very smooth scrolling and overall interface feel. This is only after about an hour of having it, so there will be more to come.

Thanks.

You may not need to root to do a WiFi hotspot. I don't do it so can't help, but I think there is a non-root method. Do some searching, post the question if you can't find an answer.

For regular users there's not many reasons to root anymore. Android and hardware have come a long way. I haven't bothered to root my daily driver in a long time and usually recommend against it. Ask yourself what you need to do that actually requires root or if you just want to play with the phone. It's probably the latter.

If you decide you really do need/want to root, look in the 'All Things Root' section. Penty of info is available. Also, Google search is your friend. Do a LOT of reading. Make sure you understand why you're doing it, the exact steps required and all the terminology, and have a recovery plan and backups in case things go bad. Nobody likes to bail out a n00b just because he simply failed to do his homework first.

Reactions: 1BlinkGone
Upvote 0
You may not need to root to do a WiFi hotspot. I don't do it so can't help, but I think there is a non-root method. Do some searching, post the question if you can't find an answer.

For regular users there's not many reasons to root anymore. Android and hardware have come a long way. I haven't bothered to root my daily driver in a long time and usually recommend against it. Ask yourself what you need to do that actually requires root or if you just want to play with the phone. It's probably the latter.

If you decide you really do need/want to root, look in the 'All Things Root' section. Penty of info is available. Also, Google search is your friend. Do a LOT of reading. Make sure you understand why you're doing it, the exact steps required and all the terminology, and have a recovery plan and backups in case things go bad. Nobody likes to bail out a n00b just because he simply failed to do his homework first.

Crashdamage- I'm one of those guys who generally reads mucho before I even choose something to purchase, let alone modify it. Yes, Google is our friend for that, lol, and I have already been scanning the forums and the All Things Root, as you suggested.

Okay, so I hear what you are saying about the need not to ROOT, vs previous iterations of Android; however, one thing still lacks: the coveted Superuser status to dump my bloatware. THAT is the primary reason I'm looking to achieve root in the device. I'm not really interested in other things like Overclocking, etc. I want to get rid of the bloat and the parasitic load that you get with some of those apps that Android will run in the background at times. I wish there was a way the USER could fully control which apps the OS ran. It's kinda bizarre how Android does this, in comparison to UNIX/OSX/Windows.

Really, all I want is:
1. Superuser/Admin status so I can dump the apps I don't want and will never use...

2. also, to get around T-Mobile's crummy $15 dollar ripoff wireless hotspot fee, to use something I'm already paying for.

3. Something to rid myself of all ads

Oh, Crash- whats the story with the truck??

Upvote 0
I just ignore the bloatware on my Amaze. Doesn't use any battery or significant space. Not worth the effort of rooting to get rid of it.
I want to be rid of the clutter in the app drawer. I'll take your word about the battery drain or space, but I'd just like it off the device.

As for the truck...that was an oops moment a few years ago I was lucky enough to survive. But it hurt a lot.

I bet. Thank God you are alive. That truck looks how I felt days ago after I had a ladder kick out from under me while I was on the second rung....

Upvote 0
Hiding the apps in app drawer doesn't remove the bloat or the real space it takes up. Just root the thing. Its not hard.

1) unlock bootloader
2) flash 4ext recovery via fastboot (4ext is a must have for S=on Amaze because it allows flashing of kernel in recovery
3) flash superuser.zip in recovery

See, I understand Crash's premise, but I'd rather those apps just be off the device completely, no matter how much room I have. Thanks! I will attempt this in the near future.

Q- if I unlock the bootloader, can I wait for a bit (use the device) until I feel like doing steps 2 & 3? Say days or weeks? I'm no stranger to computing, but Android is a different ballgame for me.

Thanks again.

Upvote 0
See, I understand Crash's premise, but I'd rather those apps just be off the device completely, no matter how much room I have. Thanks! I will attempt this in the near future.

Q- if I unlock the bootloader, can I wait for a bit (use the device) until I feel like doing steps 2 & 3? Say days or weeks? I'm no stranger to computing, but Android is a different ballgame for me.

Thanks again.

Yep... sure can. Be cautious though... unlocking bootloader may factory reset your device and wipe user data so save what u need to sd card first :D

But... i must add... unlocking bootloader is the most time consuming of all the steps. 4ext and superuser take literally 1 minute to do both

Reactions: 1BlinkGone
Upvote 0
Yep... sure can. Be cautious though... unlocking bootloader may factory reset your device and wipe user data so save what u need to sd card first :D

But... i must add... unlocking bootloader is the most time consuming of all the steps. 4ext and superuser take literally 1 minute to do both

Okay. Roger that. This device is only one day old, so there's not much to screw up (or lose) that isn't easily restored. :)

I was checking out the steps for bootloader and yes it seems the most intensive of the process. Hmmm. I won't let that intimidate me, though. I just want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing once I go to HTCDEV.COM and commence the deed. Thanks again.

Upvote 0
Okay. Roger that. This device is only one day old, so there's not much to screw up (or lose) that isn't easily restored. :)

I was checking out the steps for bootloader and yes it seems the most intensive of the process. Hmmm. I won't let that intimidate me, though. I just want to make sure I know exactly what I'm doing once I go to HTCDEV.COM and commence the deed. Thanks again.

No prob. Its super easy and it's virtually impossible to brick... take notes on what ur doing so i can help u if u run into an issue. Good luck

Check out the Amaze bible too... theres a link thread to it a couple below this thread. It was created by Silentbtdeadly, EclipzeRemix and myself. It has everything u need to know

Upvote 0
No prob. Its super easy and it's virtually impossible to brick... take notes on what ur doing so i can help u if u run into an issue. Good luck

Check out the Amaze bible too... theres a link thread to it a couple below this thread. It was created by Silentbtdeadly, EclipzeRemix and myself. It has everything u need to know

And from what I see, I can do it using the same steps as with Gingerbread on Amaze? Is that correct?

Upvote 0
Day three with the Amaze 4G.

Cancelled my T-Mobile wi-fi hotspot subscription yesterday. 'Nuff said.

I have about 95% of my apps back (others I'm waiting to download). Installed FX File Explorer (beta). Wow. I can't imagine being without this app, and will buy when the full product is launched.

One thing that I see with ICS is an obvious improvement in the overall "look" of your apps, and the overall feel of the OS. Nice. This is more like what Android should have been in the first place. Disclaimer- I'm using the OEM T-Mobile ICS with Sense. I'm playing with APEX Launcher.. might install GO Launcher EX, as this is what I'm used to, and compare side by side. APEX appears to look and function slightly better than GO EX, but is very stripped-down.

* The apps actually look better and more refined on ICS. I just got a GMAIL update the day I got this phone, but everything just LOOKS BETTER.

* The battery is coming up on its full potential after a few full charges... but I'm glad I have a 1900 mAh battery on the way.

* The camera is very, VERY cool. I haven't used it a bunch, but man the PQ is great, and the response is quite snappy.

* Call quality is very good in overall sound. There seems to also be less perceived lag & echo in conversations when talking to my wife on her cellphone at the house, as an experiment.

One thing I want to point out- up until yesterday, all this time I have been the SIM card that I originally got with my BB 8700g back in '06/'07. I am now using the new SIM included with the HTC AMAZE. The T-Mobile C/S rep I had on the phone to enable the new card, said that I should be realizing better Data speeds now as a result. That may also be what I'm noticing with email speeds.

* Formfactor: IMHO this phone is perfect for me. The screen is just the right size, VERY clear- beautiful display, really; and I'm glad I chose this one over the Samsung Galaxy S II. While little bit extra real estate of the screen area is a given, it's not enough to make me regret this choice. The Sammy is NOT as clear (lower res), or as bright (in daylight) as the AMAZE; and if I want something for movie watching I'll use iPad or bigger. I also prefer the HTC build quality; along with the bit of extra heft. The Sammy feels like a toy in my hand in comparison. Even my wife prefers the Amaze to the SGSII. I did not spend stick time with the SGSII, but I'm pretty sure I'd prefer Sense over Samsung's iteration. Funny thing is, I never used sense on my MT4G. I might with this phone, now that Sense has matured. We'll see.

* As I have not been out on the street with the device yet (but once), I still have to draw some conclusions, of "out in the field use".

All in all, not only does this phone soundly trump the MT4G that I had before; I don't think I could have chosen a better phone for my needs. The HTC ONE X is out of my price range, and quite frankly is much more phone than I need for my requirements. Oh, and I like that this phone still has a microSD slot, and a removable battery. (unlike the HTC ONE X)

* Oh and did I say that the whole UI is very smooth? Very nice.

I did disable a few of the apps I'll never use (facebook, QIK, etc). Gee I wonder what happened to them? lol. They don't show at all now.

I did go to HTC DEV.com and looked around, and downloaded some stuff in preparation. Haven't taken the plunge and rooted the phone yet, though. Besides the bloatware removal, I really like some customization options (font, etc).

Today my BALLISTIC case and REALOOK screen protector should be here. YES!!!

Reactions: Crashdamage
Upvote 0
Got the Ballistic Case today (fantastic shell/gel case!); and the Realook Scr Protector. I really like the material it's made from. Looks stellar, and like glass.
The First time I placed it on the screen, it was near-perfect with just a small bubble over the HTC logo- VERY slightly misaligned. Meh. Should left it alone (but nooooo..). Next one of these I put on I'll just have the guy at the local T-Mobile shop do it. Looks worse than my first attempt and I quit while I was ahead. LOL. Darn Eyes... :rolleyes:

Well, I installed NOVA, and Go Launcher EX to pit one against the other. Not really fair, as GO already comes pretty robust for starters and NOVA is more stripped out-of-the-box. I may just ditch both of 'em for now and settle into the phone itself... but a good launcher is pretty important. I'll twiddle with 'em a bit before deciding.

Still working up the courage to root (and reading...)

Upvote 0
Hiding the apps in app drawer doesn't remove the bloat or the real space it takes up. Just root the thing. Its not hard.

1) unlock bootloader
2) flash 4ext recovery via fastboot (4ext is a must have for S=on Amaze because it allows flashing of kernel in recovery
Hey GlacierGuy, is it possible you can elaborate on this? I've been trying to get this to work for two days now

- I have the HTC Amaze
- I have ICS
- I have unlocked the phone
- I don't fully understand what the S-ON/S-OFF thing is, but I don't think I've changed mine from whatever the factory default it
- I am not yet rooted, which I am trying to do... many to remove bloatware from the phone / wifi hotstop

I'm on a mac, pretty comfortable with the CLI. I guess my first question to start out with is, where do you obtain the 4ext.img? Everything I'm searching says it's an apk.

Any and all help is super appreciated.

Thanks

Upvote 0
BLINK and GLACIER??? Welcome to the AMAZEing side of things. LOL. Finally ditched the MT4G huh? Yea I did too. Now we moved on to better things. You will love the phone rooted or not. I am still a coward on the roots but know enough to help. Weird. Some things never change.

Hey GlacierGuy, is it possible you can elaborate on this? I've been trying to get this to work for two days now

- I have the HTC Amaze
- I have ICS
- I have unlocked the phone
- I don't fully understand what the S-ON/S-OFF thing is, but I don't think I've changed mine from whatever the factory default it
- I am not yet rooted, which I am trying to do... many to remove bloatware from the phone / wifi hotstop

I'm on a mac, pretty comfortable with the CLI. I guess my first question to start out with is, where do you obtain the 4ext.img? Everything I'm searching says it's an apk.

Any and all help is super appreciated.

Thanks

I could not have said this any better so I copied from an XDA'r They are VERY smart people over there.

How to s-off - and what is s-off anyways?
S-OFF completely breaks the barrier that HTC puts on your phone, there are lots of features this has.
Every Recovery flashes kernel
No need to unlock Bootloader with HTC once you have attained S-Off.
You can now change the Splash Screen
You can use several Tools to change things like Font and bootanimations automatically.
you can Flash RUU

Upvote 0
Das- hey! Yes, A fall from a 6' ladder made the MT4G that I had irrelevant (it was in my back pocket and I landed directly on my rear right flank, noggin, and all...). Didn't hurt the case or the glass, but broke the display behind the glass. Lol. It was a miracle I only walked away with bruises & a broken phone. The thing still worked, the display was just toast.

I will say this, the AMAZE further confirms my belief in HTC's build quality. A great device, as you know. I'm not sure if that has continued with the ONE series, though, as I'm disappointed they went with something other than metal for their case.

Thanks for the link!

Yep, the AMAZE is a much better smartphone than MT4G, and ICS to boot! That being said, I'm hoping to move to iPhone when 5 comes out.... we'll see. Peace!

Upvote 0
Das- hey! Yes, A fall from a 6' ladder made the MT4G that I had irrelevant (it was in my back pocket and I landed directly on my rear right flank, noggin, and all...). Didn't hurt the case or the glass, but broke the display behind the glass. Lol. It was a miracle I only walked away with bruises & a broken phone. The thing still worked, the display was just toast.

I will say this, the AMAZE further confirms my belief in HTC's build quality. A great device, as you know. I'm not sure if that has continued with the ONE series, though, as I'm disappointed they went with something other than metal for their case.

Thanks for the link!

Yep, the AMAZE is a much better smartphone than MT4G, and ICS to boot! That being said, I'm hoping to move to iPhone when 5 comes out.... we'll see. Peace!

Its AMAZEing, lol, no but seriously thank goodness you were OK.

Upvote 0

1) unlock bootloader

hi there wondering if i can get a lil help. i have already unlock my bootloader and phone does say i am unlocked. I found 4ext recovery in ur amaze bible. So do i just drop 4ext in my sd card and flash it???? also i couldnt find superuser in the amaze bible. plzz and thank you :):)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones