• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Official Nexus 2 Discussion

If it was available on At&t's network I would also be passing. Releasing it with a 1Ghz processor when 1.2 and dual cores are just around the corner??

Well to be honest I see why they did release it. With Gingerbread supporting front facing cameras and gyroscopes they needed a phone to perform these functions for the developers.

Also on a side note, it looks like us At&t boys will be left without a vanilla running phone for now, I was hoping they would continue to support contract free phones for both networks.

Upvote 0
Meh with the Nexus S so far. It's not drool worthy IMO. Though I think Google finally realize that 512MB for internal memory is really NOTHING, so seeing that it's 16GB is a BIG BIG improvement! I'm still wondering why they didn't give the phone more RAM :/ And no dual core processor o_O

Anyways...why do we need a gyroscope on the phone? The wiki doesn't really help, lol.

Upvote 0
Meh with the Nexus S so far. It's not drool worthy IMO. Though I think Google finally realize that 512MB for internal memory is really NOTHING, so seeing that it's 16GB is a BIG BIG improvement! I'm still wondering why they didn't give the phone more RAM :/ And no dual core processor o_O

Anyways...why do we need a gyroscope on the phone? The wiki doesn't really help, lol.

iPhone 4 Gyroscope Brings Silky Smooth Augmented Reality

It tracks movement better. If you want more information I would suggest searching under "iphone 4 gyroscope". There is a lot of information regarding it and I am certain it applies to any phone with a gryoscope.:)

Reactions: Roze
Upvote 0
looks like the ns is just another SGS phone. few upgrades, but nothing earth shattering. will be curious to hear the reviews of those that get it right away. did google make sammie produce a phone with all major functions working properly?

also, i think it looks a lot like the original my touch.

fify :p

Yup, it's just another SGS phone but this time with Vanilla Android. Nothing ground breaking :mad:

Unlike the Nexus One, the phone was not built from scratch – the starting point was the Samsung Galaxy S, released earlier this year.

Well that just confirmed what we all thought :mad:

Upvote 0
I think i know what the S in Nexus S stands for SH@T! Or shotty, sucks, sham, second rate, swindle,and just plane old sad. Im sorry but to me this phone stains the nexus name. The 4 things that bothered me the most:
1) No dual core or 1. anything processor
2) No HSPA+ support
3)512mb ram
4) No sd card slot
So google releases the Nexus S a device that will be the flag ship device for developers that will likely be outdated by end of January. Excuse me correction its already outdated because last time i checked and believe me i checked the mytouch 4g has the nexus s beat on all 4 points i just raised. The processor i could forgive perhaps because it will probably run great without the samsung touchcrap thats currently on the galaxy s but no HSPA+ and no damn expandable memory slot. No sorry not forking over 530$ for that especially since my girlfriend has the galaxy s and has already gone thru 3 thanks to samsungs craptacular construction. Maybe at the 200$ dollar mark but then i would remind myself that wait it doesnt have a memory card slot so not even then. Look i dont mean to rag on this phone its actually not bad as a new release for samsung or had they released this instead of the galaxy s but when you attach the nexus name to it i was expecting more. At this point i will hang on to my nexus1 and know that i still have the better phone.

Upvote 0
Negatives for me so far:

• Single core (Got that on my N1, not that I'd really need a dual core yet, but if I'm spending that kind of money again!, I'd expect it.)
  • 5MP camera (Got that on my N1)
  • No HSPA+ (Lack that on my N1, too!)
  • Still no LED light (From what I can see)
  • No trackball/pad (No finger is as precise as a track-device)
  • No SD card

Ah well, I'm still happy with my Nexus One.

The Nexus S doesn't seem like a phone for me...

EDIT:
So I guess I'm the only one who is actually looking forward to this phone

It's not a bad phone by any means, but not a game changer like the Nexus One was.

Most people in this thread either had a N1 or still have one...and there isn't much to sway us away, because the N1 still compares.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones