• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers is either lying, incompetent, or reckless with the 911 bug.

WOW , They're pulling the trigger at their own Skull !!. With no replacement phones , no magic upgrade and no way out this will backfire on Rogers terribly. But on the other side its good that they will have to let me out of the contract and I can then take my device to whomever I wish..
They will get any replacements and upgrades back on track before they pull the trigger, I don't think they are that dumb. Always a yin to the yang.

On the other hand this makes little sense. There must be rooted android phones on every network that started life with a potential v1.5 GPS bug. Nearly all of them must have been updated by now or there is no point in doing your own updates. Or is Rogers the only provider with an e911 routine that can suffer from that bug? Or just the only one to actively block rooted phones? And what about unlocked phones?

Upvote 0
@vikingisson: The 911 bug in this case is the same one Google fixed in Sept 2009, and which HTC and T-Mobile pushed out to their customers as part of Android 1.6 on Oct 1. Obviously it was subsequently rooted.

The problem we have here is if Rogers can tell a rooted phone with the 911 fix from a non-rooted phone without the update, or with the new update, and they started block incoming and outgoing calls to rooted phones as well.

This would basically mean that unless you want a non-working phone, you will be forced to update to the Rogers 1.5 fix, which so far has not been rooted (and may not be?)

Upvote 0
I doubt there is any way to determine for sure which phones are ok by their lawyers and which ones aren't. If they could I also doubt they would bless anything other than the official updates on the official contract phones. That would then have to include rooted phones as unsuitable. Magics and Dreams came via more than a few providers and from all over the world and could be running all sorts of ROMs. There's simply no way they will sanction anything but what they've sold.

I think they have done due diligence by whatever law they are hiding behind. Time to get back to business and leave people alone before it gets too surreal. There are lots of unlocked phones for sale and if I have updated the contract phone but choose to run an unlocked rooted Magic I don't think they can shut me down.

Before it gets that draconian they could schedule a 911 test. If my phone passes then go away and be happy with the money. Up to now my contact with them has been very civil but I won't have any more patience if this goes into round 4 or whatever stage of confusion we're up for next.

Upvote 0
This is unacceptable. Rogers obviously didn't do one bit of research on these phones before they decided to carry them. I'm paying Rogers for a service NOT for a phone... the phone was supposed to be a bonus for signing up with Rogers, it wasn't supposed to be a headache.

Edit: Just had another thought.

Roger's solution to not being able to make 911 calls is to take away the ability to make all calls? Wouldn't this include the ability to make 911 calls? BRILLIANT ROGERS!!!!

Upvote 0
@vikingisson: The 911 bug in this case is the same one Google fixed in Sept 2009, and which HTC and T-Mobile pushed out to their customers as part of Android 1.6 on Oct 1. Obviously it was subsequently rooted.

The problem we have here is if Rogers can tell a rooted phone with the 911 fix from a non-rooted phone without the update, or with the new update, and they started block incoming and outgoing calls to rooted phones as well.

This would basically mean that unless you want a non-working phone, you will be forced to update to the Rogers 1.5 fix, which so far has not been rooted (and may not be?)

who gives a crap...it's not rogers job to be able to tell a rooted phone from a non-rooted phone.. whoever rooted their phone did so knowing they were tampering with the software and it could lead to issues...

Upvote 0
who gives a crap...it's not rogers job to be able to tell a rooted phone from a non-rooted phone.. whoever rooted their phone did so knowing they were tampering with the software and it could lead to issues...
This thread is for people that do give a crap. Go find something you care about.

(I also pull the tags off my pillows)

Upvote 0

You're right. It's not Rogers' job. However, when they start changing your network accessibility based on assumption that you are running the firmware that they "heavily encourage" you to have, who's to say? Our point is that we can put whatever we want on an expensive piece of hardware, as we own it. Mary has said that Rogers does not support the modding, but they don't say they ban it.

Jailbreaking an iPhone is no different than what we do. There is nothing illegal about it. The issue is not an incompatibility at all. It's Rogers physically turning off communications and re-routing them because they don't want to be held responsible because WE made the decision to do this.

Rogers is not responsible for what we do to our phones. They are responsible for providing services that WE pay for. And right now, they are not doing that.

Upvote 0
I just spoke to a Rogers tech about the issues we are having, he informs me that any phones that are NOT updated will eventually be completely blocked from the system and not be able to make or receive ANY calls!

I don't know what this will mean for rooted phones.

I don't know what everyone else is experiencing, but I have a rooted Dream, and I can make calls perfectly fine.

It looks like Rogers only has to see that you have an updated phone once, and after that they no longer bother checking to see if you're updated or not. I come to this conclusion because I have an updated Magic that I've been using in place of my Dream.

So it seems the easy solution for rooted Dream owners is to just find an updated Dream or Magic, put your SIM in, make a call or two, and then take it out. It should register you as "updated".

Give it a shot.

Upvote 0
I don't know what everyone else is experiencing, but I have a rooted Dream, and I can make calls perfectly fine.

It looks like Rogers only has to see that you have an updated phone once, and after that they no longer bother checking to see if you're updated or not. I come to this conclusion because I have an updated Magic that I've been using in place of my Dream.

So it seems the easy solution for rooted Dream owners is to just find an updated Dream or Magic, put your SIM in, make a call or two, and then take it out. It should register you as "updated".

Give it a shot.

Nope, wrong conclusion :) It's the method you root. If you use the Rogers' radio with a CM you wouldn't get cut or redirected. Just get a network refresh, data and calls all fine. Haven't tried Haykuro's radio after a network refresh though. That might work too. Probably not, but who knows.

BTW does anyone remember Canada's Most Reliable Network? It's now Canada's Reliable Network. Congratz Bell OUCH... another hated corporation.

Upvote 0
BTW does anyone remember Canada's Most Reliable Network? It's now Canada's Reliable Network. Congratz Bell OUCH... another hated corporation.

I saw that yesterday and LOL'd. Telus and Bell have horrible service. What a stupid lawsuit over the title though. It really demeans Rogers.

Mary... please bring us good news this week. Please.

Upvote 0
Nope, wrong conclusion :) It's the method you root. If you use the Rogers' radio with a CM you wouldn't get cut or redirected. Just get a network refresh, data and calls all fine. Haven't tried Haykuro's radio after a network refresh though. That might work too. Probably not, but who knows.

I had assumed everyone was using the EBI1 radio on their phones. Oh well.
People should be using it, I guess now there's even more of an incentive:

http://wiki.cyanogenmod.com/index.php/Full_Update_Guide_-_Rogers_Dream_EBI1_to_CyanogenMod

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones