• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] ApeX 1.2 Series for Droid X - Functionality and Performance (12/7/10)

Hiya guys, I just have 2 questions.

1: Is rom manager kind of pointless now. I paid for the license awhile back but Rom Manager is so out of date with its downloads...and there doesnt seem to be any reason to have it installed

2: Fab I know you were working with Tranqlauncher for a while. That launcher is very smooth in the app drawer with a live wallpaper...adw isnt. Any advice for me to get Tranq's call button to pull up the proper phone app?

Upvote 0
@Zsg, in order to change the mapping of the phone button, you need to modify the source code and recompile the app.

I'm curious as to which LWP you're using that's really slowing ADW down though, as I've found the drawer performance satisfactory with LWPs enabled (though my animation settings may be different)

------------

Also, I put up the 1.2.1 update file for 1.2 users. It fixes PowerAMP, adds back Car Home, and updates ADW and Terminal Emulator.

But since it's not a full update, I couldn't set permissions on the carhome script, so if you wanna use it, you'll first have to chmod it:

su
sys -rw
chmod 755 /system/bin/carhome
carhome

The full update is uploading still (my uplink is sloooooooooow!)

Upvote 0
Fabolous said:
The bluetooth used here is just the default from the 2.3.320 build. That being said, I have no idea how it interfaces with Ford Sync, so it may have regained the read SMS ability? Give it a try. If not, you can try swapping the /system/etc/bluetooth folder with the one found in RC2 that you knew worked for sure.

Let me know how it turns out!

Thanks. Will do. It'll be a day or so before I get a chance to update my phone. I would rather not do it on the road in case something goes wrong.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
I took the plunge and updated to the leaked 2.2.1 a few days ago and had been running Tranquility 3.5 without any issues. In fact, it quickly became my favorite rom on on DX.

But I wanted to take Apex for a test drive since it was my primary rom on 2.2. So glad I did. Apex 1.2.1 is without a doubt the best rom I've used on the DX. While I've only had it on my phone for about 9 hours, I haven't had a single issue. No FCs, no reboots or random freezes. All my apps work perfectly (at least all the ones I've tried).

It's also really, really fast. The fastest rom I've used. I haven't even had the desire to overclock (yet) since my DX seems so fast at stock speeds. I love the screen animations too. There not as crazy as the ones on Tranq 3.5.

Really, you can't go wrong with either rom. I do miss the TranQ Toolbox a little, but I prefer Apex's vanilla theme and overall look more than than Tranquility's.

Fab, thank you so much. This rom made the risk I took of possibly bricking my DX by updating to 2.2.1 totally worth it. Please, keep up the good work.

Upvote 0
@Zsg, in order to change the mapping of the phone button, you need to modify the source code and recompile the app.

I'm curious as to which LWP you're using that's really slowing ADW down though, as I've found the drawer performance satisfactory with LWPs enabled (though my animation settings may be different)

------------

Also, I put up the 1.2.1 update file for 1.2 users. It fixes PowerAMP, adds back Car Home, and updates ADW and Terminal Emulator.

But since it's not a full update, I couldn't set permissions on the carhome script, so if you wanna use it, you'll first have to chmod it:

su
sys -rw
chmod 755 /system/bin/carhome
carhome

The full update is uploading still (my uplink is sloooooooooow!)

Im using flurry, paid for app at moderate settings. Its not that the app drawer is horrible, its just soooo much smoother with laucher2 and especially the new tranq3.5 launcher

I was hoping that by pulling the apk into readable xmls with apktool i could find a way, but it doesnt look like that will work. Ill look into the source code. Thank you for giving me a jump in the right direction!

Upvote 0
I'm loving this ROM so far and it's by far my favorite. The only issue so far is that all of my downloaded apps aren't showing up in my download section of the market. I did restore most if them through Titanium but only the purchased apps are showing up now. I originally wanted to let them restore automatically but that didn't work either. Can someone please help? Thanks in advance!

Upvote 0
I'm loving this ROM so far and it's by far my favorite. The only issue so far is that all of my downloaded apps aren't showing up in my download section of the market. I did restore most if them through Titanium but only the purchased apps are showing up now. I originally wanted to let them restore automatically but that didn't work either. Can someone please help? Thanks in advance!

Have you tried using the 'Market Doctor' feature of Titanium Backup? It can fix missing links between restored apps and the marketplace.

------------

Also, I've finalized the 2.3.15 build, and it is now at a 'corresponding' build number of 1.0.2.1. Now any Droid X owner can enjoy ApeX!

Find both the downloads in the first post, and be very careful to choose the correct one based on your kernel version! Thanks!

Upvote 0
Have you tried using the 'Market Doctor' feature of Titanium Backup? It can fix missing links between restored apps and the marketplace.

------------

Also, I've finalized the 2.3.15 build, and it is now at a 'corresponding' build number of 1.0.2.1. Now any Droid X owner can enjoy ApeX!

Find both the downloads in the first post, and be very careful to choose the correct one based on your kernel version! Thanks!

Thanks for the tip. I just tried that and is said "found no recoverable market link." Any other suggestions?

Upvote 0
TBinder78 & F3AR,

Try a battery Pull or power cycle and see if that fixes your problem. My Market apps are all showing and I restored through TiBu. My contacts also took a while to sync but sure enough they are all there. Double check the gmail settings to confirm contacts are checked to sync. Press sync a few times (though for me nothing happened right away) Power Cycle or Batt Pull.... Maybe I got luck but eventually it was all there for me.

Mike

Reactions: tbinder78
Upvote 0
still new to this, literally had my droid for about 2 weeks, just put your 1.0 apex rom on my x like a week ago, i wanna update to this one cause i like all the new stuff you added, what do i have to do to make the transition? can i just wipe cache and whatnot and install 1.2 over it, im semi confused cause of the talk of kernals and whatnot like i said im a noob haha

Upvote 0
This rom looks functionally similar to TranQ 3.5, and I'm sure it's at least as good. After watching the video, it appears to me that I prefer these custom transitions to those included with TranQ 3.5, but I am really enjoying the TranQ toolbox right now, which is not included here.

Is there any way to either:
Get the transitions from this rom installed over TranQ 3.5?
or
Add the TranQ toolbox to this rom?

Thanks, and great work as usual Fab!!

Upvote 0
This rom looks functionally similar to TranQ 3.5, and I'm sure it's at least as good. After watching the video, it appears to me that I prefer these custom transitions to those included with TranQ 3.5, but I am really enjoying the TranQ toolbox right now, which is not included here.

Is there any way to either:
Get the transitions from this rom installed over TranQ 3.5?
or
Add the TranQ toolbox to this rom?

Thanks, and great work as usual Fab!!

Not sure about tranq toolbox but don't think so since its for another rom but I believe this will help for the transitions
http://androidforums.com/droid-x-all-things-root/226604-how-mod-custom-transition-animations.html

Reactions: kensdavid
Upvote 0
Hey 2.3.15 users, I've gotten reports that the contacts app likes to kick you to the home screen when trying to view contacts. I think this may be similar to the dialer issue from before and just an incompatibility with the 2.2.1 contacts app.

Can you please try downloading the 2.2 version of contacts here:

www.fabdroid.com/images/BlurContacts.apk

placing it on your sdcard, and running the following in terminal emulator:

su
install BlurContacts.apk

and let me know how that turns out? Thanks!

Upvote 0
Fab,

It does not look like the apk file above is attached, is there another place I should get this from?

Also I was trying to run the script to change the gallery and after getting superuser access I would type -gallery and it would come back as -gallery: not found and I would do the same with -email and it would come back as -email: not found.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones