• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] CTMod 3.80 (04/06/13)

If you want DATA, you need the card partitioned : FAT32 / ext4 / swap ( if you wanna use swap )

If you want SSM, you need : FAT32 / ext4 / ext4 / swap

The swap path depends on the mode you are using. Priority = 100, swapiness = 60 !

My 32GB sd-card is setup like that : FAT32 = 26GB / ext4 = 2GB / ext4 = 2GB / swap = 2GB ( all approximately ! )

This way, I can use DATA or SSM without repartitioning the card ! In my case I use DATA mode, so I actually waste 2GB for the second ext4 partition since I don't need it..... but if I ever want to switch to SSM, I would not have to do the partitioning again. Also, in this case, the swap path would be : /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 ( with only ONE ext4 it would be : /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

Upvote 0
If you want DATA, you need the card partitioned : FAT32 / ext4 / swap ( if you wanna use swap )

If you want SSM, you need : FAT32 / ext4 / ext4 / swap

The swap path depends on the mode you are using. Priority = 100, swapiness = 60 !

My 32GB sd-card is setup like that : FAT32 = 26GB / ext4 = 2GB / ext4 = 2GB / swap = 2GB ( all approximately ! )

This way, I can use DATA or SSM without re-partitioning the card ! In my case I use DATA mode, so I actually waste 2GB for the second ext4 partition since I don't need it..... but if I ever want to switch to SSM, I would not have to do the partitioning again. Also, in this case, the swap path would be : /dev/block/mmcblk0p4 ( with only ONE ext4 it would be : /dev/block/mmcblk0p3

Loved your post thank you for sharing your partition set up.Im going to copy what you did for miy 16GB class 4 Sandisk.

I searched for similar setup instructions but only found some for one EXT4 partition.So to setup the second EXT4 partition like yours, do I repeat the partition process in ClockWorkMod menu? And it will just automatically create it next to the first one?

Upvote 0
Loved your post thank you for sharing your partition set up.Im going to copy what you did for miy 16GB class 4 Sandisk.

I searched for similar setup instructions but only found some for one EXT4 partition.So to setup the second EXT4 partition like yours, do I repeat the partition process in ClockWorkMod menu? And it will just automatically create it next to the first one?

You make the partitions in settings>ct mod settings>partition settings. Slide the top fat to the left and make as many as you want and when done slide the fat back to the right and click start. MAKE A BACKUP FIRST AND BACKUP ENTIRE SD CARD TO PC, YOU WILL LOOSE ALL DATA INFO ECT.....

Upvote 0
I just rebooted my phone and now there is this Google settings app in my app drawer does any body else have this when I tap app info (launcher feature) it brings me to Google play services. Can this app be removed?
for now just hiding.

I myself am running 3.75 not 3.75.2, I tried and ran it for a bit but don't recall that.

Upvote 0
I just rebooted my phone and now there is this Google settings app in my app drawer does any body else have this when I tap app info (launcher feature) it brings me to Google play services. Can this app be removed?
for now just hiding.

Google play services is required for YouTube to work, probably some other apps too.

Upvote 0

Well thank you Clyde. You saved me from having to Google it. I was wondering what this thing was doing on my phone. One thing is for sure.... this new icon/app does me absolutely no good. lol Nice to know what it's there for though. :)

EDIT: Actually it's not Google Play, it's Google Play Services 3.0. BIG difference.;)

Reactions: clyde4210
Upvote 0
I run 3.75 in ssm mode, I got a 32g class 10 sd and partitioned it. All is good and put all data back on card. I was running ssm and can restore that backup and all is PERFECT! Now I wanted to try data mode, clicked it and it goes through the works and then boots up fine, shows up like a fresh install and memory says in data mode. I lost all data, everything, setups, ect and even the top status bar and time are gone and pull down and all ? I redid everything and it ends up the same again. I restore my backup and all is PERFECT in ssm mode again. I had a 1g ext4 and now made it 2g to see if in data mode it would give me more space, in ssm the data from all my different apps uses internal space, and with apps and data I have like 50mb left. Boat browser has 10mb of data for my stuff, if I delete it, I have no more data and when I visit sights I would have to type in all stuff again and I like that Boat saves all info! Other apps have saved data too and was wondering if I switch to data mode with more space on ext if that would give me more space than ssm?
If that is the case and I would have more space, How do I get all my setup and data and info back, being that when I switch to data mode I loose everything? Even a advanced restore of sdext or data does nothing, and I AM USING THE SAME ROM AND VERSION, SO RESTORING MY APPS AND DATA TO THE SAME THING SHOULD NOT MAKE A BAD DIFFERENCE?

Upvote 0
OK, your problem is that with SSM /data/app is on one partition, /data/dalvik is on the second partition and /data/data (and the rest of /data) is on the internal memory

When you switch to data mode it mounts the first sdext as /data. Now the problem is that for user apps to work properly, they have to be in /data/app. Data mode created all the /data folders on the sdext but its not smart enough to move the apps into the /data/app folder. So, all of your apps are now in /data and /data/app is empty.

In addition, all of /data/data ( your app data ) is till on the true internal memory. This includes all your texts, settings and misc user data.

So basically, its all there but not in the correct place and there is no (simple) way to make it move to the correct location.

This is the PRECISE reason that kouma says you have to wipe the sdext (and basically factory reset) when you switch modes. In addition to not being to use the apps that are stored in the wrong location in the sdext, they are still stick there taking up the space that you allotted for /data.

When you do an advanced restore of your sdext, it just moves the apps to the root of your sdext, not into the /data/app/ folder.

Reactions: cwhatever
Upvote 0
OK, your problem is that with SSM /data/app is on one partition, /data/dalvik is on the second partition and /data/data (and the rest of /data) is on the internal memory

When you switch to data mode it mounts the first sdext as /data. Now the problem is that for user apps to work properly, they have to be in /data/app. Data mode created all the /data folders on the sdext but its not smart enough to move the apps into the /data/app folder. So, all of your apps are now in /data and /data/app is empty.

In addition, all of /data/data ( your app data ) is till on the true internal memory. This includes all your texts, settings and misc user data.

So basically, its all there but not in the correct place and there is no (simple) way to make it move to the correct location.

This is the PRECISE reason that kouma says you have to wipe the sdext (and basically factory reset) when you switch modes. In addition to not being to use the apps that are stored in the wrong location in the sdext, they are still stick there taking up the space that you allotted for /data.

When you do an advanced restore of your sdext, it just moves the apps to the root of your sdext, not into the /data/app/ folder.
I get that, it all makes perfect sense. So how would I or can I get all info and apps back in data mode? Did it once a while back when was on 3.68 but would like to try now rather than redoing everything. Running PERFECT from a backup the way it has always been but would like to try data mode without the redo of everything if possible?

Upvote 0
If you back up the data for your launcher it will restore the settings too. And yes, /data mode will give you more space in the sense that it doesn't put anything on the internal memory, this means that whatever size you make the partition will reflect the total space you have.

In this case you can restore /system settings too sine its the exact same rom.

Now, keep in mind that I don't use TB, so this is all in theory. But if my understanding of the app is correct, then it will work fine :)

Your launcher is an app too, its data can be backed up the same as any other app ;)

Reactions: cwhatever
Upvote 0
If you back up the data for your launcher it will restore the settings too. And yes, /data mode will give you more space in the sense that it doesn't put anything on the internal memory, this means that whatever size you make the partition will reflect the total space you have.

In this case you can restore /system settings too sine its the exact same rom.

Now, keep in mind that I don't use TB, so this is all in theory. But if my understanding of the app is correct, then it will work fine :)

Your launcher is an app too, its data can be backed up the same as any other app ;)
Sounds good and since same rom and all I will give it a try! Not tonight though, Time for bed. Will let you know if or how it works out, Thanks again and have a good night and weekend! ;):):D

Upvote 0
Love this rom!! I have been using it since 3.68 and have had no major issues with it at all. The few things that have gone wrong were usually due to an app not installing correctly or not being fully compatible.

Well couple days ago my phone started rebooting by itself which I understand is not to unusual but it never happened to me before unless the battery was hot. Now it is doing it over and over at times. I decided to start from scratch again and reinstalled CTMOD 3.75.2 then started to set it up the way I like, at first all was well but then BAM reboot!! So Reimaged again doing everything but set up Voltage Control to load automatically at boot time. So far no reboots.

Now this all started a couple of days ago it seems at the same time as the new green icon from Google Play Services showed up, so my question is "Has anyone else had these reboot issues start suddenly and could Voltage Control have a compatibility issue with Google Play Services?" Thanks for reading and maybe answering!!

Upvote 0
What voltage are you running? My brothers ran great at 900 for Months and then it started rebooting randomly... he backed the voltage down a step and them problem stopped.

Maybe you could try that (if you're overclocked.)

I always ran at 400 min and 900 max with default scheduler and governor.

I am going to let it run at default values for a day or two then nudge it up to see if there is a change.

I agree that it could just be that I am hitting a hardware limit after all this time but thought it odd that it happened the same day Google play services showed up on my phone. Could mean nothing at all that is why I asked here to see if anyone else had this issues all of a sudden.

I'll keep you updated as I make changes.

Upvote 0
Titanium Backup?

Back everything up, switch to data mode, and restore it all. Is should work

It all worked great! I installed 3.75.2 and then clicked data and just rebooted and all is great(don't know why others were having problems). I then restored all apps and data from titanium and all is great. Reconfigured whatever needed to be done and all is great, swap is working great too. Running a sandisk 32 10 and all checks out great. Now I have to say that I have been running ssm since day one and even with the new card, so after playing around the ssm is quite a bit faster in everything I do, the data mode has more storage and runs great! Also the ram(running) in 3.75 in ssm I always have 145 +or- free and with 3.75.2 in data mode only 100 free (with everything set up the exact same way), wonder why that is? Same amount of apps setup the same way for everything!

Just giving the imput on what I have done. The ssm seems way faster though!:):D

Upvote 0
@ cwhatever

Ok So since you just went through this whole process.maybe you can help me.

I installed 3.75.2 and ran out of internal memory.So I decided to re-partition my card like vce2005

FAT32 = (left over space) / ext4 = 2GB / ext4 = 2GB / swap = 2GB

That way I can use DATA or SSM without re-partitioning the card.And I was going to use Data Mode after I re-partitioned.So I went into ClockworkMod and did a backup. And then I choose to partition the SD card from the ClockworkMod menu.I set the EXT4 partition at 2048 mb.And Also created a 2048 Swap Space.But when I rebooted the internal memory had increased.And I had a EXT4 partition.But All of my apps I ran from the SD card and home screen customization's had disappeared.So I went back into ClockworkMod and did a restore from the backup I made before partitioning the SD card.Now everything is back to the way it was before.I also included pics to show what I did

So since Im gonna try and do this right this time is this what I do?

1) Titanium backup (or another similar app)
2) back up the entire SD card
3) clockworkmod backup
4) reboot phone & repartition the card FAT32 = (left over space) / ext4 = 2GB / ext4 = 2GB / swap = 2GB
5) Choose Data Mode
6) Restore cockworkmod backup
7) Titanium backup last?

Attachments

• IMG_0343.JPG
    IMG_0343.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 107
  • screenshot-1362270834235.png
    screenshot-1362270834235.png
    65.9 KB · Views: 77
Upvote 0
@ cwhatever

Ok So since you just went through this whole process.maybe you can help me.

I installed 3.75.2 and ran out of internal memory.So I decided to re-partition my card like vce2005

FAT32 = (left over space) / ext4 = 2GB / ext4 = 2GB / swap = 2GB

That way I can use DATA or SSM without re-partitioning the card.And I was going to use Data Mode after I re-partitioned.So I went into ClockworkMod and did a backup. And then I choose to partition the SD card from the ClockworkMod menu.I set the EXT4 partition at 2048 mb.And Also created a 2048 Swap Space.But when I rebooted the internal memory had increased.And I had a EXT4 partition.But All of my apps I ran from the SD card and home screen customization's had disappeared.So I went back into ClockworkMod and did a restore from the backup I made before partitioning the SD card.Now everything is back to the way it was before.I also included pics to show what I did

So since Im gonna try and do this right this time is this what I do?

1) Titanium backup (or another similar app)
2) back up the entire SD card
3) clockworkmod backup
4) reboot phone & repartition the card FAT32 = (left over space) / ext4 = 2GB / ext4 = 2GB / swap = 2GB
5) Choose Data Mode
6) Restore cockworkmod backup
7) Titanium backup last?

First, on 2nd ext you only need 500mb and swap only needs to be 500mb, when runng ssm I never saw more than half full in those. Were you running data before? If not then when you restore a backup, it puts everything in wrong places. The best is to just start from scratch and redo everything, like I did. If you were running ctmod before then use titanium to restore apps and data and all will work out good, if not running ct before then have to install all apps fresh from the store, That is what I see being best.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones