• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [ROM] Viper 4G 2.0.0 and beyond

Thanks Guys!
But like I said, I have the main LP file downloaded from a while back, and the Nandroid worked for getting everything back to normal. Granted it's a setup from 10 weeks ago, but I have been so incredibly bogged down in school that my phone setup barely changed in those 10 weeks.

So I think I'm going to hold off on the LP until I see a need to upgrade, or maybe when Viper includes all the fixes stock, without the need for so much extra flashing. Does Viper 2.0.2 change the available RAM or anything that will help with memory management?

Upvote 0
Hiya...

Interestingly, I noticed a little lag on my EVO LTE running Viper 4G 2.0.2 lately with, it seems, just K-9 (email) and ChompSMS (texting). With K-9, I'll be viewing my list of 5 accounts. When I chose an account, I get the K-9 menu/notification bar area showing as normal but the rest of the entire screen is BLACK, blank, for a number of second until the list of messages appears. The delay does NOT seem to matter if there are 3 or 30 messages waiting to appear and does not have anything to do with the messages being downloaded from an incoming mail check. The app is not polling and getting the messages; they can already be downloaded for this to happen.

With ChompSMS, a similar situation...I'll have a list of conversations which can contain 3 messages or 53 messages. When I click on the conversation/number, another blank, black screen (or my background image) and a solid 10+ seconds of delay before I see the thread.

With both of the above, it happen often but not every time and, if a certain email account or text thread is slow to load it does NOT necessarily stay slow and can "fix" itself.

I also say "interesting" above because I flashed #FApple and also the lag fix for fapple and it appears I noticed the lag after flashing the above two items...:thinking::thinking: Have NO CLUE if this was the type of "lag" that was supposed to be helped or not and just coincidental to my problem but that's when I seemed to notice it. Otherwise, haven't done much to my phone to have caused this to happen...

Any thoughts??...:thinking::thinking:

THANKS!!

Upvote 0
Assuming that you flashed Viper4G with #Fapple and lagfix 4 all in the same session, then your lag is because your contacts are being dumped from memory.

Try Autokiller Memory Optimizer.

AutoKiller Memory Optimizer - AndRS Studio

Well, I ran Viper4G for a couple weeks. Then just a few days ago flashed #Fapple and lagfix 4.

With the AndRS studio app above, do I just set it and forget it...no need to tweak?? Or is there someone special I should do for me K-9 and ChompSMS issues??

THANKS!

Upvote 0
No no.

Lagfix 4 does not work if you install it later.

HTC software base 2.13 came out with a new bug, that all Sense roms inherited and had to be addressed in various ways by various devs. The contacts database grows for no reason and gets dumped from memory.

So, you missed out on the clean slate before installing lagfix 4 so now you have to fix it.

It's not hard, but it's not optional.

Go to app manager, clear data on Contacts. Immediately boot to recovery and clear cache and Dalvik.

Don't flash other fixes or try that app.

Monitor and see if lag returns.

Upvote 0
No no.

HTC software base 2.13 came out with a new bug, that all Sense roms inherited and had to be addressed in various ways by various devs. The contacts database grows for no reason and gets dumped from memory.

So, you missed out on the clean slate before installing lagfix 4 so now you have to fix it.

Go to app manager, clear data on Contacts. Immediately boot to recovery and clear cache and Dalvik.

Ahahaaaahahaaaaaahhhh....when that #Fapple was suggested it was way after I had rooted and flashed the Viper4G ROM.

Going to try the wipe suggested above now. I can see this helping my ChompSMS as it scrolls through my contacts but this should help my email load too??

Thanks!

Upvote 0
No no.

HTC uses a sqlite3 based database for contacts.

Anything that touches contacts get smacked by the bug - sms, MMS, mail, dialer, People, and probably a few others. :)

So I tried the data clear on Contacts fix. Helped initially but lag has came back on, as expected, SMS, mail, dialer. On SMS I'll type in the first few letters of a name and the matches won't pop up for a while. Also get the same thing in K-9/mail (though not as long as my ChompSMS). Also black, blank screens waiting for sms and mail apps to load...even if I didn't even try to address an email/text yet.

Soooooo, what are my other options?? You said the fix is "not hard" but it appears to have come back for me. I would prefer NOT to wipe and fresh clean/install if that is a possibility...:thinking::thinking:

THANKS!!

Upvote 0
How long before the lag returned?

Clear contacts again, reboot within half of the lag return time.

Some susceptible to it are ok with a reboot every two days for example.

Didn't keep track of how long until the lag returned but I haven't rebooted in days. I have no problem with a reboot like right before I go to bed or other time I'm not using the phone. I'll try again...thanks!!

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones