• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root [Root] One Click Root for Samsung Admire (SCH-R720) :: Windows/Mac/Linux :: 9/12/2011

I rooted my Admire long ago with the ADB based script, later I retired the Andmire, and it somehow now has lost root. I don't understand the CWM, plus ten step program, so I prefer to root again with ADB scripting.

Has anyone gotten the One Click Rooting method to work recently. (i.e) on a phone that updated to 2.3.6? There is a note at the top of this thread saying that he thinks it doesn't work anymore, and for me, it didn't work .

Upvote 0
This is the part of the script that I'm focusing on:

# Trigger a core dump to exploit the vulnerability and create
# a world-writable /data/local.prop file
echo "[*] Triggering core dump..."
$adb shell 'rm /data/log/dumpState_app_native.log 2>/dev/null'
$adb shell 'ln -s /data/local.prop /data/log/dumpState_app_native.log 2>/dev/null'
$adb shell 'app_process 2>/dev/null'​

And when the script is run in terminal, here is what comes back:

* daemon started successfully *
[*] Triggering core dump...
[1] Segmentation fault app_process 2>/d...
cannot create /data/local.prop: permission denied

I read that ln command does

ln

Use this command to create a link, which allows a file to be accessed by a different name. Links may be removed with the rm command.

And finally: Here is what a wiki says about this command.

The following command creates a symbolic link at the command-line interface (shell):
ln -s target_path link_path
target_path is the relative or absolute path to which the symbolic link should point. Usually the target will exist, although symbolic links may be created to non-existent targets. link_path is the path of the symbolic link.
After creating the symbolic link, it may generally be treated as an alias for the target. Any file system management commands (e.g., cp, rm) may be used on the symbolic link. Commands which read or write file contents will access the contents of the target file. The rm (delete file) command, however, removes the link itself, not the target file.
The POSIX directory listing application, ls, denotes symbolic links with an arrow after the name, pointing to the name of the target file (see following example), when the long directory list is requested (-l option). When a directory listing of a symbolic link that points to a directory is requested, only the link itself will be displayed. In order to obtain a listing of the linked directory, the path must include a trailing directory separator character ('/', slash).

and for completeness.

rm (short for remove) is a basic UNIX command used to remove objects such as files, directories, device nodes, symbolic links, and so on from the filesystem. To be more precise, rm removes references to objects from the filesystem, where those objects might have had multiple references (for example, a file with two different names), and the objects themselves are discarded only when all references have been removed and no programs still have open handles to the objects.
This allows for scenarios where a program can open a file, immediately remove it from the filesystem, and then use it for temporary space, knowing that the file's space will be reclaimed after the program exits, even if it exits by crashing.
rm generally does not destroy file data, since its purpose is really merely to unlink references, and the filesystem space freed may still contain leftover data from the removed file. This can be a security concern in some cases, and hardened versions sometimes provide for wiping out the data as the last link is being cut, and programs such as shred are available which specifically provide data wiping capability.

Upvote 0
it doesnt work, the exploit was patched a long time ago

Thanks, for letting me know, and saving me from chasing a dead-end. Actually, I was hoping to follow the script and learn more. That's the best fun.

It took me longer than I care to admit to do the CWM and several step method. Not that any step is hard, but the key instructions seem scattered in different forum postings, and some links have died.

Well, I still want to hook the phone up through ADB and play around.

Upvote 0
Hi guys, not sure where to post this, but here's my issue:

Shortly after rooting, but before flashing CWM with Odin, I encountered phone thinking it's charging with no USB plugged in. The phone has never been dropped, doesn't have a scratch or dent on it and I take care of my stuff, so it's leading me to believe that it might be a software issue with me altering stuff. The phone still charges just fine when it's plugged in, has no issues with connectivity, but likes to think it's charging randomly. This can get quite annoying as while it's sitting still, it'll make that "Plugged" in sound rapidly up to 40 times a minute. Sometimes won't do anything for hours. Has anyone else encountered this issue? Will flashing the stock back save it? (I no longer have the stock, but would have to get from here. Android V is 2.3.4 and kernel version is 2.6.35.7. It started doing this when I had integrated app updates into system such as maps, play store, play services and SuperSU. I also had issues with another Superuser app that wasn't working right, so I installed SuperSU and did cleanup and sys integration of the SU apps through that app. I made Maxthon web browser my only browser and also integrated that into system as that was the only one that would work with voice launch. The phone works fine besides the fake charging issue only when not plugged in.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Hello... Norton's Antivirus keep recognizing the "su" file from the download as a virus (Hack tool) and deleting it as I try to root my phone... has this file been compromised and is an actual virus or a part of the download that is needed to complete the process :thinking:

LOL. Not likely buddy. Norton doesn't like these types of files. Just disable Norton so you can get the file. I've even had my Chrome browser deny some files I was downloading for my phone, but there's nothing wrong with them. Since we're in the world of customization and rooting, many of these programs are essentially a hack as it's needed, because we are after all hacking an operating system that's built to keep us out. Some antiviruses will give a false positive and I've known for at least a couple years from hearing others stories and my own exp that Norton is notorious for rejecting files such as these. In don't use Norton simply because it causes too many issues for me when it comes to my downloads. ;) Hope that helps and I would very seriously doubt that any files a dev posted on here would be malicious

Upvote 0
I know this is an older thread but i am trying to root this Metro-Admire but having issues.

I am rooted, I have Super aToolbox, Titanium Backup and SuperUser installed but S/U only recognizes Titanium Backup therefore I cannot "delete" any of the Metro-Bloatware. Any ideas what I should do now?

Your problem is SuperUser my friend. I had the same issue. Use SuperSU and in that it'll have an option to reinstall and remove other su apps. I can't remember exactly what it says, but you'll know when you see it in options. SuperUser didn't fully work for me just the same as you. SuperSU. :D

Upvote 0
i downloaded linux (direct) on my ubuntu, but this does not run.
any help?

EDIT 4/23/13: I'm pretty sure this doesn't work any more, look for other root packages in this forum.

Don't bug me about broken links. Direct #1 will be practically infinite in its lifespan - if it disappears, this phone probably has too. I am not responsible for others' domains, including Shabbypenguin's old one, Mr. Rosenberg's, or Mediafire.

@djrbliss, @MikesTooLz, and @k0nane present...

One Click Root for SCH-R720

About

Welcome, Admirers! Without the headaches of the package blocking that got in the way on the Samsung Galaxy Indulge, the crew over at the #admire channel have successfully rooted your device. :)

Actually, @djrbliss (Dan Rosenberg, bliss in #admire) did. Almost all of the credit belongs to him - he discovered the exploit that gives us root, and wrote the Linux/Mac one-click script. Technical info on the exploit can be found here. Enjoy the fruits of his hard work!

How to Install

Your device must be in USB Debugging mode. To turn it on, go to Settings > Applications > Development and check the box.

Linux/Mac: Connect your device to your PC, unpack the archive, and run run.sh. You may need to chmod 755 run.sh.

Windows: Install the Samsung USB drivers (download), unpack the archive, and open run.bat.

Downloads
We do not use file hosts with waiting times or CAPTCHAs!

Windows Download (Direct) | Mirrors :: Direct #2 - Mediafire
Linux/Mac Download (Direct) | Mirrors :: Direct #2 - Direct #3

Credits

All credit for the exploit goes to @djrbliss!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones