• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help sense 5.0 (Android 4.2.2/4.3 discussion)

I'll throw in 10' of Montana's finest home grown dental floss. :D
Oh, yeah! ... I do love dental floss. ;)

Anyway, isn't it kind of strange on how HTC has taken an interest in giving the Evo 4G LTE one more update -- I really appreciate that.

I'm quite sure the owners of the HTC One+ are not pleased to hear that their device won't be getting sense 4.3.

I hope this doesn't deter most people from continue buying HTC devices.

Upvote 0
Sprint is actually pretty good for support. The SGS4 got Jellybean first, but in the US, that was on Sprint; those on other carriers had to wait. I can cite lots of examples like that.

Except the 3vo - that's when it all started downhill and then they broke every ICS promise (so I can relate to some healthy pessimism here ok).

And it's definitely flipped around from when HTC updates came first - but not after Samsung started making the Nexus instead of HTC. Funny how that works. ;)

Upvote 0
I can now say that i am more leaning on optimism rather than pessimism. ;)
And for good reason!

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Upvote 0
Is it safe to accept the software (4.3) update without performing the burdensome full wipe and reinstalling all apps etc.? I understand that many folk with the Samsung GS4 had major problems after updating to 4.3. Any of that stuff after updating the HTC EVO 4G LTE?
This update won't be an OTA. And it will require a full wipe and reinstall of apps.

Upvote 0
Ok, because of the raging misconceptions going around the blog comments out there, especially on Phandroid, I'm going to leave the original partition layout here.

1392596909524.jpg

No, you can not get an Android with just one partition.

No, partitions are not something that happened to this phone only.

Yes, the new update requires application of a special factory image called an RUU to re-size and redo the partitions.

No, they couldn't foresee this 2 years ago.

Yes, if they guessed and made the system partition bigger, it would have meant two years of complaints about less user storage.

Upvote 0
Ok, because of the raging misconceptions going around the blog comments out there, especially on Phandroid, I'm going to leave the original partition layout here.

View attachment 67626

No, you can not get an Android with just one partition.

No, partitions are not something that happened to this phone only.

Yes, the new update requires application of a special factory image called an RUU to re-size and redo the partitions.

No, they couldn't foresee this 2 years ago.

Yes, if they guessed and made the system partition bigger, it would have meant two years of complaints about less user storage.
In case anyone was wondering, this is what the partitions look like after the update:
Code:
Filesystem               Size     Used     Free   Blksize
/dev                   388M   128K   388M   4096
/mnt/secure            388M     0K   388M   4096
/mnt/asec              388M     0K   388M   4096
/mnt/obb               388M     0K   388M   4096
/system               2141M  1104M  1037M   4096
[B]/data                 11843M  3125M  8718M   4096[/B]
/cache                 220M     4M   216M   4096
/devlog                 19M    16M     3M   4096
/carrier                24M     4M    20M   4096
/firmware_radio        199M    33M   166M   4096
/firmware_q6           199M     5M   193M   4096
/firmware_wcnss          4M     1M     3M   2048
/mnt/shell/emulated   11743M  3125M  8618M   4096
Notice how much larger /data is - that's the biggest (and most positive) effect of this update. Well, that and the updated version of Android. Oh yeah, and the updated version of Sense ;).

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Dang, when I tried updating it went as far as to restart my phone while it 'waited for bootloader' and then gave me an error saying that there was a problem with the drivers. My phone was stuck on the HTC logo and I thought I may have bricked it but a long press/hold of the power button restarted it.

Any tips? I'm on Windows 8.1

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Okay, time for the noob to ask a stupid question.

A lot of people around the net are saying that you must uninstall HTC Sync before you can do the update, but those are the only backups I have for my data.

Do you really have to do that? And if so, does anyone have a suggestion as to how to backup my data?

This will be my first attempt at a RUU sideload, and I'm going to need a little bit of "nursemaiding".

Sorry to sound so dumb. If you'd rather reply via PM, that's fine, too.

I just don't want to brick my phone. I can't afford a new one.

Upvote 0
HELP. SO i've downloaded the RUU, and I followed this guide http://androidforums.com/evo-v-4g-a...evo-v-4g-ruu-flashing-guide-unroot-guide.html to get the RUU on there. But, once i click the exe file the install shield wizard loads then closes and I can't get anywhere.

EDIT: when i run the exe file should i still be in the hboot mode or should i restart my phone and be on th ehomescreen

The first thing the program does when you run an RUU (after checking that its the proper device) is reboot the device into bootloader. I remember getting around issues with the RUU a long time ago by manually rebooting into the bootloader.

Also, try running the RUU.EXE file as an administrator (right click>run as administrator)

Upvote 0
Okay, time for the noob to ask a stupid question.

A lot of people around the net are saying that you must uninstall HTC Sync before you can do the update, but those are the only backups I have for my data.

Do you really have to do that? And if so, does anyone have a suggestion as to how to backup my data?

This will be my first attempt at a RUU sideload, and I'm going to need a little bit of "nursemaiding".

Sorry to sound so dumb. If you'd rather reply via PM, that's fine, too.

I just don't want to brick my phone. I can't afford a new one.

I've never used HTC sync myself, so you'll have to excuse me for the noob questions to follow :D

How does it store your backups? Would it be possible to copy those somewhere else so that if you uninstall it and reinstall it later you'll still have everything backed up?

What sorts of things do you use it to backup? That can help us recommend alternatives.

Contacts can be automatically backed up by google, photos/files can be transferred to the computer before the RUU and put back into place afterwards.

Upvote 0
Since this a progressive RUU, there shouldn't be any issues with firmware mismatches, so we can rule that out.

There can be a number of factors, drivers, HTC Sync, antivirus, even the operating system with the newer windows.

First, I'd delete anything that has HTC from your computer. Plug the device in, and then allow it to reload the drivers. Do not install HTC Sync at this point.

See if the computer recognizes the device by going into your computers Device Manager. It should be shown as "Android USB Devices", with "My HTC" shown under that". Or something similar, since I'm not on a stock rom I can't be 100% sure this is what you'll see. :eek:

Temporarily turn your antivirus software off. Sometimes it will see an RUU as malicious software, and block it.

I believe there is a work around for folks with Windows 8.1 that I saw in the Captains thread over at XDA, but I'll need a little while to find it. Once I do, I'll post up a link for it.

Hopefully some these will help yinz out. :)

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones