• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Software/OS problem after 4.4.2 update

ecase727

Lurker
Jul 29, 2014
This issue has now persisted for about two weeks, maybe a little longer. Coincides with the 4.4.2 update.

Only two new programs installed were the 4.4.2 update and Spotify. Some Apps were updated that could have theoretically caused this, but there are no non-mainstream apps on my phone.

The primary issue is the phone spontaneously shuts off. This in the past has only taken place when an app has been open and in use. However, this morning it occurred once during start-up and once when no apps were on.

After a spontaneous shutdown, regardless of battery level prior to the shutdown, upon turning the phone on, the battery will read dramatically lower, or empty.

I have already done a factory reset, and I have run the phone in safe mode. Reset changed nothing, safe mode just confirmed that the battery life is generically bad, but since i barely used the phone in safe mode, its hard to say whether or not anything changed. Phone is fine when idling. This problem only appears when phone is actually being used. (perhaps a problem with the memory?)

A timeline of events this morning, this was typical both before and after a factory reset:

Phone is working normally.
After about an hour, start playing candy crush while commuting. Battery at 85%. After a few minutes, spontaneous shutoff.

Take out battery, put it back in, turn phone on.

Phone comes back on at 49% battery life. Open Candy Crush again, phone shuts down after about a minute of playing.

Take out battery put it back in turn phone on.

Phone shuts down in middle of boot phase.

Phone comes on at 20% battery. While looking at the home screen, scrolling around. Phone shuts off. Phone had been on for only about 20 seconds, no apps opened.

Turn phone on again, shuts down in boot phase. Give up.

When I got to work, I plugged it into the charger, and battery icon came up at 70%.

What on earth is going on? Anyone else have this problem? How did you resolve it?

Nope! Only when on battery power, and with the exception of the one time this morning, only when booting, or using an App.

It has shut down while using the following apps. I think the frequency of the shutdowns has less to do with the apps themselves, and more with my phone habits, but I do use facebook and baconreader a lot. Which is why I think it might be tied to a memory issue too.

Facebook (once)
Candy Crush (constantly)
Instagram (once)
Baconreader (twice)
Google Drive (once)

It only shuts down while booting when I'm turning it back on after an initial shutdown during App use. That one time it shut off on the home screen also came after an initial shutdown during app use.

Upvote 0
Of course processor load will affect a bad battery. The battery can no longer supply the amount of current needed, the voltage then drops, and the phone shuts off. The fact that it works fine with the charger plugged in also reinforces the possibility that it's a bad battery.

Like I said, I had the same experience you're having and it was a bad battery. The phone would shut down when trying to use the camera or play a game. It worked fine while plugged in.

Good luck.

Reactions: ecase727
Upvote 0
No you're right, that could totally be the reason. I've ordered a battery and hopefully that will solve the problem.

Since the problem coincided with the software update, I'm guessing the added load of the new system is what put the phone over the edge. I must have been just making it, power wise, before the update.

The phone was a refurbished one from Asurion (killed screen on first phone, totally my fault). Supposedly, Asurion is supposed to give you a fresh battery when they replace your phone. Guess not.

Upvote 0
But what do we do when our phone looses so much energy after the update that it's energy patterns change completely? That happened with my older Xperia Z and I'm afraid it might happen again. It started to use so much energy that I had to charge it's battery everyday, even though I used it the same way like before.

I stopped looking forward to updates but I have to do them right?

Is rooting the device and option anyway?

Upvote 0
This issue has now persisted for about two weeks, maybe a little longer. Coincides with the 4.4.2 update.

Only two new programs installed were the 4.4.2 update and Spotify. Some Apps were updated that could have theoretically caused this, but there are no non-mainstream apps on my phone.

The primary issue is the phone spontaneously shuts off. This in the past has only taken place when an app has been open and in use. However, this morning it occurred once during start-up and once when no apps were on.

After a spontaneous shutdown, regardless of battery level prior to the shutdown, upon turning the phone on, the battery will read dramatically lower, or empty.

I have already done a factory reset, and I have run the phone in safe mode. Reset changed nothing, safe mode just confirmed that the battery life is generically bad, but since i barely used the phone in safe mode, its hard to say whether or not anything changed. Phone is fine when idling. This problem only appears when phone is actually being used. (perhaps a problem with the memory?)

A timeline of events this morning, this was typical both before and after a factory reset:

Phone is working normally.
After about an hour, start playing candy crush while commuting. Battery at 85%. After a few minutes, spontaneous shutoff.

Phone comes back on at 49% battery life. Open Candy Crush again, phone shuts down after about a minute of playing.

Take out battery put it back in turn phone on.

Phone shuts down in middle of boot phase.

Phone comes on at 20% battery. While looking at the home screen, scrolling around. Phone shuts off. Phone had been on for only about 20 seconds, no apps opened.

Turn phone on again, shuts down in boot phase. Give up.

When I got to work, I plugged it into the charger, and battery icon came up at 70%.

What on earth is going on? Anyone else have this problem? How did you resolve it?

Hi ecase727!

Thanks for posting this question. We're here to help you in anyway that we can. We will send replacement batteries with your replacement device if it is indicated during the claim that a replacement is needed.

In regards to your current device, all of our replacements come with a 12-month limited warranty. If you've had the phone for less than 12-months and there is no physical or liquid damage, you may be eligible for a free warranty replacement. If you'd like to explore this option, please email your Claim# and contact# to: socialmediateam@asurion.com or Tweet us @AsurionCares.

Thanks!

Asurion Social Media Team
@AsurionCares
Welcome to Phoneclaim.com

Reactions: ecase727
Upvote 0
Asurion, and everyone else in the thread!

I have an update regarding the issue.

I was able to replicate the issue in another person's otherwise working S3. I did it by..... switching my battery with them.

So there's the answer. It was, in fact the battery.

Asurion,

The phone you refurbished and sent me about 2 or 3 months ago works perfectly fine, but please let me know what I should do regarding the battery that came with it. Right now I am using a $10 battery from Amazon that looks legit, but the markings on it are just not quite the same (it doesn't have Chinese translations on the labeling, unlike the legit battery from you guys, as one example).

The battery life on this possible knockoff seems okay (about as bad as everyone else's post update, but doesn't seem worse) but it's my first day so we'll see how long it actually lasts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones