• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
I first got the "not an Android phone" and then it went to the "oops we don't know where you want to go". Very frustrating. I hope I can get the beta otherwise I will have to reinstall the other version. :mad:

Solved it! For me, in my browser settings I had unchecked the box that forces pages to open in mobile mode. If you recheck that box then the website recognizes the phone.

Reactions: ericDylan
Upvote 0
It says it isn't configured for my device and it's going to work with limited functionality. Namely, no swyping at all. Any help?

Did you try it despite the warning? I got a warning saying something similar. I don't remember if it was those same words, but it was similar. It works just fine (once I finally got to download it that is) for me. On the swype site it mentions that some of the extended features aren't available because it requires integration with the OEM, but that shouldn't affect swyping.

Upvote 0
This happened to me the first time I d/l the program. I just uninstalled it and re-installed it and it worked the second time. Hope this helps.

Yeah I was just about to type that if it were me I would try to uninstall and redownload it from the site, then install it again. Sometimes things get corrupted.

Upvote 0
I tried a couple of different installs with and without reboots inbetween (removing Swype from my phone each time) and still had the 'device is not recognized' problem. Then I deleted the installer itself and downloaded it again. I notice the installer from today is a different file size than the one from yesterday, so they changed something. This time Swype installed with no problem.
So if anyone is still having that problem I'd suggest deleting everything and starting again from scratch, it worked for me.

Upvote 0
I tried a couple of different installs with and without reboots inbetween (removing Swype from my phone each time) and still had the 'device is not recognized' problem. Then I deleted the installer itself and downloaded it again. I notice the installer from today is a different file size than the one from yesterday, so they changed something. This time Swype installed with no problem.
So if anyone is still having that problem I'd suggest deleting everything and starting again from scratch, it worked for me.

For those of you having problems with the Swype beta, I recommend you head on over to their forum: Customer Feedback & Ideas for Swype Inc . From what I can see right now (March 6, 2010) there's an issue that occurs when you reboot your phone, resulting in an error message which reads "Swype is configured for another device..." or something to that effect. Fixing that is easy, though; just go to Android Setup, disable Swype, and then reenable Swype.

The Swype team is aware of this issue, from what I can see.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones