• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Think this will come back?

Help me understand why those cool sites you did not want to see go, cannot be hosted on another site. God knows, there are dozens of "free" web hosts and no shortage of places to host them.

I had a Geocities account and I managed to move my crap to another place.

It's the nostalgia factor.. and the name.

And being in on the pioneering portion of the history of this foolishness called "the internet."

Most of us back then were blogging but didn't know it yet.

Upvote 0
Sites didn't always show up in a search depending on what you were searching for.
Large group of Pfaff sewing and embroidery machine owners Geocities sites never turned up. You would find them via posts in a forum. Same for some astronomy.

Yeah.. they just wanted you to be there. Searching for something there was just more hits for a longer time as the searchers kept going thinking they'd land in the right place over the hours. :D

But that's where I was reunited with an old friend (for a very short time) who wrote a book about "mass being a field" and tried to "publish" it in GeoCities. Once I contacted him I came around to understanding why we'd lost touch with each other: he'd gone batpoop crazy early on, and was run out of a few universities and got arrested for trying to climb to the top of the Golden Gate Bridge "to draw attention to the mass is a field theory."

Good old GeoCities.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones