• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Why buy over the vibrant?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a vibrant and I am in my last few days before I am beyond the remorse period. I'd like to know why you bought the evo over the vibrant and if you'd do it again. I am pretty sure I will stick with what I have but I need to be sure I am not over looking anything major. Thanks!

Lets stick to the facts please. Simply put, the evo is the slowest 1ghz super android phone released, failing miserably in almost every benchmark. Galaxy S phones have the fastest CPU and GPU of any Android device. T-mobile customers have been enjoying 5-7 mbps download speeds on HSPA7.2 for a long time now even on old devices, and now that T-mobile is going to roll out HSPA+ devices, expect 12-21MBPS, and lets not forget, HSPA+ is expected to hit the 41mbps mark. So while we enjoy 5-7 mbps using our old devices, sprint is barely rolling out 4g, which is still slower than t-mobiles HSPA+ network, which again will get speeds of 12-21mbps starting with septembers HSPA+ device.

So lets clear up some facts. Samsung Galaxy S has the fastest 1ghz CPU and GPU. The Snapdragon used in the EVO has been branded the slowest 1ghz chip.

Evo has poor graphics performance. Every online review has shown that iPhones 5 megapixel and Galaxy S 5 megapixel trump Evo's poor performing 8 megapixel. Camcorder in the Captivate is getting wide acclaim. No Flash on Vibrant? No worries, the cam is built with Night Mode Technology, no flash required.

Galaxy S phones are extremely thin and light weight, Evo Feels Bulky.

More Facts. Galaxy S phones use gorgeus Super Amoled screens that are true wide screen and peform stellar under the sun. The image is outstanding. Evo is not true wide screen, the display is not even slightly close to the gorgeus image available on Vibrant.

Memory:
Evo has 1gb ROM, 512 mb RAM :(

Vibrants memory....drum roll please. 16 gb internal memory with 2 GB dedicated to aplications! Holly Cow! Comes with external 2gb card loaded with Avatar, upgradable to 32. :eek::eek::eek::eek:

Who has the best Customer Service in the industry. T-mobile. News Flash, T-mobile just won for the 6th straight yr in a row, JD Power and Associates 2010 Award once again for Best customer service. Who has been coming in last place every year for the last decade... aww its sprint again.
http://www.t-mobile.com/Company/CompanyInfo.aspx?tp=Abt_Tab_Awards

Some Videos to stop this nonsense.
Cnet network data speeds: Sprint last place, T-mobile comes out on top.
http://www.cnet.com/8301-17918_1-20010338-85.html

Article: More proof that T-mobiles HSPA+ is Faster than Sprints 4G and available in more cities than 4G.
http://www.thetelecomblog.com/2010/06/05/t-mobile%E2%80%99s-3g-network-faster-than-sprint%E2%80%99s-4g-network/
END OF DEBATE, HSPA+ is FASTER THAN 4G.

Fastest GPU: Samsung Galaxy S phones
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4p5JI0-gQ&feature=player_embedded

Evo Last place in more benchmarks:
http://androidandme.com/2010/07/news/galaxy-s-lineup-leads-the-pack-in-android-gpu-benchmarks/

Evo poor results.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ilx_cpGZczM&feature=player_embedded

Galaxy S phones Blowing away all phones including DroidX, Samsung Galaxy S phones officially have the fastest GPU and CPU:

http://www.youtube.com/user/androidandme#p/u/1/zgoQHxy-0mM

So the evidence and facts are clear. The Samsung Galaxy S phones including the Vibrant outperform the Evo and Sprint in every aspect from camera performance, cpu, screan, gpu, and yes T-mobiles HSPA+ is considered faster than 4g. Lets not forget about 6yrs in a row JD Power and Associates Excellence In Customer Service award to T-mobile.

While Evo has a kickstand that constantly tilts over and falls flat on it's face, Vibrant comes with something functional. A full copy of the highest cash cow movie of all time, Avatar! Avatar takes full advantage of the Super Amoled screen, try playing Avatar on the EVO, and well the experience will be sad.

I see only 1 advantage of the Evo, it has a FFC. Thats it, 1 single advantage. Now lets get real, raise your hand if any of you had a successful face to face video voice call using your FFC. Oh wait, why isn't anyone raising their hands.

Both phones have had issues at release. I wont remind Evo owners of all the issues. I will point out however the GPS has had issues on Galaxy S phones. Not to worry, Samsung has officially announced an update fix will be released soon.

Return the Evo and wait for the Epic 4G.

Last but not least, How could I forget this. Gorilla glass!!!!!!
It is no secret Evo screens shatter, even a gentle 1 foot drop shatters the Evo Screen. Some evo owners have even reported what appears to be a spontaneus screen shatter upon gentle screen use.
So what about Samsung Galaxy S phones, do they shatter? NOPE, they use Gorilla Glass. So go ahead Samsung Galaxy S owners, drop your phones, your screen won't even scratch.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xASJobjD68&feature=player_embedded

So lets see:
Samsung Galaxy S:
Faster GPU
Faster CPU
More Memory
Super Amoled Screen
Gorilla Glass
T-Mobiles Faster Data Network on Vibrant
T-Mobiles Award Winning Customer Service for Vibrant
Super Light weight
One of the thinnest if not the thinnest Smart Phone

Evo:
Slower Cpu
Slower GPU
Horrible Graphics
Sub Par Screen
Screen Shatters easily
Horrible Customer Service
4G thats actually slower than T-Mobiles HSPA+
Bulky phone
Heavy Phone
FFC.. okay thats 1 plus
Kick stand that tilts over if you try to use your capcitive touch screen

Again, Sprint will soon have the Epic 4G.

Reactions: the1who and G1Bodie
Upvote 0
so many tmobile haters here

I have never had any problems where as I have had a ton so far with sprint.

I dont want to trade the evo cause its fantastic but I do miss tmobile. The speed on my evo with just 3G(4g isnt here yet but soon) is almost double most of my friends(tmobile and verizon). Only thing that compares is atnt in terms of 3g for me.

Pretty good experience network wise for me on the evo plus I need their bigger network range where as tmobile doesnt have as big coverage so it was another deciding factor for sprint for me. May have reconsidered for the vibrant but the evo is just too nice

Upvote 0
Sprint. T-mobile sucks. Plus the Vibrant is a gimped version of the Galaxy S.

Gimped? How so?

Working GPS.

My Vibrant's GPS work's just fine in real world use. If I download the GPS test app in the market and read it the way everyone says I should then I guess I have a problem. But as far as actually using it with say google maps, my tracks etc it works just fine.

Damn I want a Galaxy S phone now.

EVO = :)
Galaxy S = :D

Come join the dark side. With a bit of love the Vibrant is a monster! :D;)

CAP201008052334.jpg

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
Come join the dark side. With a bit of love the Vibrant is a monster! :D;)

That's really quite a marvelous response. I salute your phone for its capabilities.

While you have the many and varied advantages of a stupeous lightning-fast phone, I'm schlepping along miserably with merely excellent...

8971d1280987842-fast-evo-2-2-custom-kernel-evo-froyo-3.7.7.png

And that's running a fully functioning Sense interface with all of its wonderful or terrible capabilities - depending upon your point of view.

I'm told without it and a bit of tweaking, results in the benchmark over 1500 can be had.

Nowhere near your stratospheric near-1800 count.

Kindly tell me - how have you added to this this thread with clarifying statements regarding your terms of service or usability of your device for watching movie or tv sites, or its functionality under direct sunlight, or even how well you believe your lightning device renders colors when compared to a calibrated high-def display?

While I appreciate fully your assessment of the insanely poor quality of the EVO's Snapdragon processor as not worth very much, I work as a leader in, and am quite well-known in, the semiconductor industry.

Kindly verify for me why anyone with any of the modern multimedia capable, 1 GHz, SOC, frequency auto-scaling processors with an integrated CPU, GPU, DSP and 3D frame-buffering subsystem is poorly served in today's market?

Kindly explain that in user terms that I can understand - I've already conceded defeat in light of the EVO's showing with respect to the Android Gold Standard - the Nexus One, designed by Google to show the Android (also designed by Google) operating system capability.

Kindly explain it to me very carefully.

Or kindly admit that you're in this thread to merely gloat over a benchmark, without providing helpful hints to the OP terms of her valid, personal perceptual engine of eye-brain wetware - and yet successful in inciting controversy.

Speaking of everyday performance, here's a picture of my wallpaper, my most beloved wife, girlfriend, best friend and grandmother of six - and she's way proud that I'm sharing this:

8568d1280344984-evo-old-news-now-wifelymon.jpg

What are you sporting between benchmarks?

Many thanks in advance for clarifying what I'm missing in the comparison of the Vibrant vs. Evo from an ownership position.

I would also caution you to tread carefully - while I own an EVO, I'm chomping at the bit for a Galaxy-class Samsung as our next household purchase - because of its slide-out keyboard and nothing more.

Very truly yours,
Not a Fanboi

PS to damewolf13 and Robinelli - yeah, ok, it's a testosterone thing ok. Whatdja expect of a Silician boy with 6 grandkids - Dr. Freakin' Phil?? - once again-> :lma0: btw, ;) ok?

PPS to krichek: Uh, yeah. Until Fring got screwed by Skype, I spent a month with my FFC closing 5 and 6 figure deals with the Far East and giving US devs the opportunity for virtual tours of Asian semiconductor manufacturing facilities. Does that come close to counting as significant use of the front-facing camera with video conferencing ability between phones and desktops? Sorry I can't show you that today, we're stuck preparing legal briefs over our loss of service.

And that kickstand - I promise I'll give it a stern talking-to for NOT falling over. I spoke with it sub rosa and it explained that it missed your memo, clearly calling for face-falling performance - and it asked me to pass this along for not failing to fail as you've specified: Awfully Sorry, krichek, I'll try better next time to be no fun and to just fall over.

Upvote 0
That's really quite a marvelous response. I salute your phone for it's capabilities.

While you have the many and varied advantages of a stupeous lightning-fast phone, I'm schlepping along miserably with merely excellent...

8971d1280987842-fast-evo-2-2-custom-kernel-evo-froyo-3.7.7.png

And that's running a fully functioning Sense interface with all of its wonderful or terrible capabilities - depending upon your point of view.

I'm told without it and a bit of tweaking, results in the benchmark over 1500 can be had.

Nowhere near your stratospheric near-1800 count.

Kindly tell me - how have you added to this this thread with clarifying statements regarding your terms of service or usability of your device for watching movie or tv sites, or its functionality under direct sunlight, or even how well you believe your lightning device renders colors when compared to a calibrated high-def display?

While I appreciate fully your assessment of the insanely poor quality of the EVO's Snapdragon processor as not worth very much, I work as a leader in, and am quite well-known in, the semiconductor industry.

Kindly verify for me why anyone with any of the modern multimedia capable, 1 GHz, SOC, frequency auto-scaling processors with an integrated CPU, GPU, DSP and 3D frame-buffering subsystem is poorly served in today's market?

Kindly explain that in user terms that I can understand - I've already conceded defeat in light of the EVO's showing with respect to the Android Gold Standard - the Nexus One, designed by Google to show the Android (also designed by Google) operating system capability.

Kindly explain it to me very carefully.

Or kindly admit that you're in this thread to merely gloat over a benchmark, without providing helpful hints to the OP terms of her valid, personal perceptual engine of eye-brain wetware and yet successful in inciting controversy.

Speaking of everyday performance, here's a picture of my wallpaper, my most beloved wife, girlfriend, best friend and grandmother of six - and way proud that I'm sharing this:

8568d1280344984-evo-old-news-now-wifelymon.jpg

What are you sporting between benchmarks?

Many thanks in advance for clarifying what I'm missing in the comparison of the Vibrant vs. Evo from an ownership position.

All I can say is... WTF? Lol...:D:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
All I can say is... WTF? Lol...:D:rolleyes:

That alone is worth a brewski on me.

Did I miss anything?

Or were you content to not answer to the substance of my reply?

Where was I? Oh, yeah. WTF, lol...:D :rolleyes: x2

As Mal said - that oughta do. Your response just nailed it.

I guess Vibrant owners just laugh at best friends.

Don't worry - the entire EVO community will wait for you to download your latest wallpaper.

On behalf of everyone carrying a crappy ol' EVO - I promise in advance, we're all going to be terribly impressed.

I can hear the ooohs and aaahhs. Gee - sounds like 4th of July all over.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
LOL! I thought maybe you were a tech person for a living. I LOVE that this is your guilty pleasure. It would be mine, too :D

As a side note, are you a girl? I was wondering b/c of the "dame" in your name. I haven't run into many other girls like myself that are gadget freaks.

Yep, been a girl all my life.;)
Dedicated to the love of and education/preservation of wolves, (and my cellphones).:p
Not a techie, although I find all of these many different technologies absolutely fascinating.
If you don't understand something about technology, asking EarlyMon is the way to go. He knows pretty much everything we don't know.:D

Upvote 0
Lets stick to the facts please. Simply put, the evo is the slowest 1ghz super android phone released, failing miserably in almost every benchmark.

While it would be futile to argue that the older snapdragon is superior, hummingbird clearly has better stats, you instantly lose credibility in your second sentence. Failing miserably? That's theatrics not facts.

Narrowly focused 4g vs hspa tests are hardly solid conclusions as to which technology is faster. It certainly does speak to clears capacity and network capability in that area, and 4g still has much more potential.

If you want a true objective report on carriers network, pick up consumer reports cellular service review from earlier this year. While you will find that sprints customer service reviews suck, and T-Mobile is great, you will also find them describing T-Mobile data coverage as spotty, 3g coverage lags, and experience is inconsistent. This is a study over 26 major metro areas. Sprints on the other hand is speedy, great coverage, bested only by VZW, and has great roaming coverage.

Now back to the galaxy line of phones. Great specs, happy customer, however it still has that whole Samsung thing holding them back. Notorious for lacking support. Time will tell if they turn that around. If you want a prime example, take a look at one of their first big Android phone with amoled screen in the us, the moment. Severe issues, no support. The paper specs didn't live up to its potential.

On amoled, while those screens do look great, their industry changing contributions are over hyped. Sun viewing is marginally to nil better than a good off screen. They haven't brought about any renaissance in battery life either.

Think that's enough with your "facts" based post.

Back to the OP. The Samsung line of galaxy s phones are very promising, but look at the whole package, network, value of service, and manufacturer to make your decision. For me, having just owned a Samsung, I'm gun shy about their cellular offerings. Having been with Sprint for a while now, I've only had network issues in one area, BFE Alaska (vzw had good coverage oddly.....), and I travel a ton. My loyalties are more aligned with my provider than a cellular make, so I went with the best Sprint had to offer. I say you take the same tact. Figure out who is the best carrier for the areas you are in and best value, and then pick their best phone.

Upvote 0
Hello again.
I am here with an update. I was PM'd asking if I would share my decision once it was made. I love the EVO and it was a really hard decision. I went with the Vibrant. I went with the Vibrant for simple reasons. It is very light and thin, which I love. The screen clarity is wonderful. I really love the contact list- pics are large and very clear, and it has left swipe to msg and right swipe to call. The photo and video quality are so good I can leave my point and shoot at home. I have small kids and take pics of them alllll the time, so these features are a must have. These were the selling points. Now, if anyone can tell me how to change these features on the EVO, I might reconsider. Obviously the size and weight can't be changed LOL. But what about the contact list or the camera quality? I know it probably isn't likely but you don't know if you don't ask. Thank you everyone for your help :)

Upvote 0
Hello again.
I am here with an update. I was PM'd asking if I would share my decision once it was made. I love the EVO and it was a really hard decision. I went with the Vibrant. I went with the Vibrant for simple reasons. It is very light and thin, which I love. The screen clarity is wonderful. I really love the contact list- pics are large and very clear, and it has left swipe to msg and right swipe to call. The photo and video quality are so good I can leave my point and shoot at home. I have small kids and take pics of them alllll the time, so these features are a must have. These were the selling points. Now, if anyone can tell me how to change these features on the EVO, I might reconsider. Obviously the size and weight can't be changed LOL. But what about the contact list or the camera quality? I know it probably isn't likely but you don't know if you don't ask. Thank you everyone for your help :)

Robin your all over the place, You stayed w the vibrant because in reality its just a better phone and sports the best specs in andriod handsets on the market, And it has spanked the shit out of the evo in all the tests posted by (samsungvibrant), He saved me the trouble of researching to post them here.

Upvote 0
Robin your all over the place, You stayed w the vibrant because in reality its just a better phone and sports the best specs in andriod handsets on the market, And it has spanked the shit out of the evo in all the tests posted by (samsungvibrant), He saved me the trouble of researching to post them here.
Actually, I didn't base my decision on the specs. I based it on the functions that are important to me. I love both phones :)

Reactions: jroc and EarlyMon
Upvote 0
T-mobile sucks.

Yep, thats pretty much it.

Sprint. T-mobile sucks. Plus the Vibrant is a gimped version of the Galaxy S.

^What that dude said. KICKSTAND! It's got a freakin' KICKSTAND! How pimp is that?

Pretty much somes it up. No reason to get the vibrant.

Working GPS.

Tmobile is ass.

Because you touch yourself at night.

This is my 8th state and 3 of those I had Tmo. Coverage was pretty shit. Also, GSM = unsecure.

That alone is worth a brewski on me.

Did I miss anything?

Or were you content to not answer to the substance of my reply?

Where was I? Oh, yeah. WTF, lol...:D :rolleyes: x2

As Mal said - that oughta do. Your response just nailed it.

I guess Vibrant owners just laugh at best friends.

Don't worry - the entire EVO community will wait for you to download your latest wallpaper.

On behalf of everyone carrying a crappy ol' EVO - I promise in advance, we're all going to be terribly impressed.

I can hear the ooohs and aaahhs. Gee - sounds like 4th of July all over.

Clearly you missed a lot.. All of the above posts were ahead of mine and you choose to attack me with that rambling diatribe for lack of substance?! I say again, WTF?!

You should re-read my post, I think it added quite a bit more value than "TMobile is ass" and the like.

It started with a quote and asked a clarifying question. Then came another quote with my rebuttal, based on actual experience. Not just something I had read somewhere. It ends with another quote and my tongue in cheek reply complete with screen shot.

For the record, I have said nothing negative about the Evo. I don't own one, and have no plans to own one as I have been a customer of Sprint previously and you couldn't pay me to go back!

Upvote 0
Clearly you missed a lot.. All of the above posts were ahead of mine and you choose to attack me with that rambling diatribe for lack of substance?! I say again, WTF?!

You should re-read my post, I think it added quite a bit more value than "TMobile is ass" and the like.

It started with a quote and asked a clarifying question. Then came another quote with my rebuttal, based on actual experience. Not just something I had read somewhere. It ends with another quote and my tongue in cheek reply complete with screen shot.

For the record, I have said nothing negative about the Evo. I don't own one, and have no plans to own one as I have been a customer of Sprint previously and you couldn't pay me to go back!

Well, I'm awfully sorry I got confused. I really didn't notice until later that there were two of you - your tongue-in-cheek remark confused me as well as the benchmark shot.

It was entirely my fault that I couldn't differentiate between SV's rehash of specs and reviews and you trying to back him up.

You were, after all, quite straightforward and honest in your post of your phone's benchmark.

Perhaps what confused me that talking to you was the same as talking to SV was the fact that you were showing a benchmark for a Galaxy S class phone that is significantly higher that that published by Tangent.

It's almost as if you're somehow magically getting 2.2 + custom kernel performance out of a 2.1 stock device.

But as you're completely honest and innocent of the guilt by association that I've laid on you and have apologized for, have you considered contacting Tangent to correct their grievous error?

SV, whom you disassociate yourself from, might be interested in your help getting those online benchmarks significantly upgraded. It'll help him greatly with his marketing efforts. Don't tell him that the EVO just got H.264 video recording though - that might spoil some of the fun.

To repeat, I apologize. In a forum where a number of us had let things settle urging someone to judge a device by their own means, I can see now that what you posted was entirely helpful and was not in any way a follow-on fevered pitch by a fan boy with an axe to grind. Everything you posted clearly helped the original case asked.

Yep, my fault entirely that I couldn't tell man from master and I'm so sorry.

PS - Now that your blood's up, let it go.

I did actually confuse the two of you. It happens. Either accept my apology and blame me or ask yourself if you did anything to contribute to that. Either way, it's a beautiful day and I plan to enjoy it. By the way, completely serious about you getting out there and correcting the blogsters on your phone's honest performance.

Have you told the Droid X community about your benchmark results? Like us, they have a whole thread devoted to how their phone is the best, with benchmarks.

They're of the opinion that the Droid X is the fastest thing going right now.

I'm sure they'd love to hear from you.

Reactions: damewolf13
Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones