• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new phone rumors for Sprint?

I was excited about this phone, until I saw that LG is ruining android with the UI the same as the other manufacturers do, now it's not an option either.

I'm likely to use APEX or NOVA launcher, so OEM UI's never really bother me at all. But, yeah, I heard LG made their own UI. When I had originally gotten a LG Optimus S for one of my family members, it seemed pretty close to stock Android UI, but didn't keep the phone long enough (too small) to notice.

Upvote 0
I'm likely to use APEX or NOVA launcher, so OEM UI's never really bother me at all. But, yeah, I heard LG made their own UI. When I had originally gotten a LG Optimus S for one of my family members, it seemed pretty close to stock Android UI, but didn't keep the phone long enough (too small) to notice.

I use NOVA, and prior to ICS I used LauncherPro (and I always run AOSP ROMs). The launcher is only a very small portion of what an OEM UI is. If it was just a different launcher it wouldn't slow down OS updates by 6 months to a year, and I wouldn't care about what overlay it was because I would just use a different launcher.

I see a lot of people say things like "I'll just use a different launcher". Do a lot of people really think a different launcher gets rid of TouchWiz, Sense, etc?

Upvote 0
October looks good for the optimus g

LG Optimus G Is Official (Again) – Arrives Next Week In South Korea, Everywhere Else In October

Thing I don't like is seeing no sd card slot, but part of me remembers that the eclipse's early leaks had a removable battery and micro sd slot. If the eclipse was redesigned slightly to account for the micro sd slot, it's truly a contender for me.

Correction on this. Some of the more recent blogs are saying November for the US launch, which makes sense. Just to keep track of the differences on the leaked specs of the Eclipse vs. what has been formally introduced on the Optimus G

- Micro SD slot on Eclipse w/ 16gb internal storage vs. No Micro SD slot on Optimus G w/ 32gb internal storage
- Removable battery on the Eclipse vs. the Non-revmovable on the Optimus G
- 4.67 Inch screen on Eclipse vs. 4.7 Inch screen on Optimus G

The Korean version of the Optimus G, although quite an impressive looking device, lost a spot in my decision making over the Note 2 because of it having no microSD slot. That's a deal breaker for me. All indications, from early leaks of the Eclipse, are that the US versions coming to Sprint and ATT (already passed through FCC) will be slightly different from the Korean Optimus G. How different is still a big question, but I'm hoping that the US version will put the Eclipse back into the running. Otherwise, the Note 2 might be sitting pretty at the top as my "upgrade of choice."

Upvote 0
I use NOVA, and prior to ICS I used LauncherPro (and I always run AOSP ROMs). The launcher is only a very small portion of what an OEM UI is. If it was just a different launcher it wouldn't slow down OS updates by 6 months to a year, and I wouldn't care about what overlay it was because I would just use a different launcher.

I see a lot of people say things like "I'll just use a different launcher". Do a lot of people really think a different launcher gets rid of TouchWiz, Sense, etc?

I totally understand what you mean. But the interaction with the phone isn't necessarily what has bothered me with OEM UI's. It's always been the interaction on the overlay that has bothered me, not necessarily rest of the interaction with the phone. And in most of the blog reviews, they don't talk about the UI w/ regards to interaction with the phone, they more-so talk about the overlay.

And for the record, I never said that it got rid of the UI...LOL

Upvote 0
UPDATE from 9/4/12 post

New Releases/Projection/Predictions:
4/22 - Galaxy Nexus and LG Viper
5/15 LTEvo (delayed due to Customs/Apple Injunction)
5/24 LTEvo (Phones finally reaching customers for soft pre-order release at Best Buy w/ Sprint pre-orders and other manufacturers trickling in afterwards)
6/2 - "Official" delayed LTEvo release date as announced by Sprint
6/21- SGS III (delay to 1st weekend of July)
7/1- "Official" delayed SGS III release date as announced by Sprint
7/15 - White LTEvo
8/19 - MoPhoQ (XT897)
9/16 - Samsung Galaxy Victory LTE
9/21 - iPhone 5
iPhone 5 price, features, release date unveiled, Verizon, Sprint and AT&T LTE supported

Oct./Nov.??? - Galaxy Note 2
Sprint Note 2 rdf and wi-fi certification spotted
http://www.examiner.com/article/more-details-leak-out-on-sprint-samsung-galaxy-note-ii
Oct./Nov.??? - LG Cayenne (LS860)
LG's LS860 'Cayenne' visits the FCC, flaunts Sprint LTE bands - Engadget
10/14 - ZTE Flash ???
The ZTE Flash has quite the package, heading towards Sprint in Q4?
Oct./Nov.??? - LG Eclipse (LS970) - November is the new rumored release timeframe for the Optimus G in the US. Question is if the Eclipse is the US version of the Optimus G, does it follow that timeframe or will it be sooner than expected?
November release in US for Optimus G?
LG Eclipse stops at the FCC on the way to Sprint

Count of LTE Devices out of 15 Sprint announced they would have by the end of 2012:
7 Officially Released by 9/21
2 (LG Eclipse/Cayenne) Hit FCC on 8/10 / 9/1 respectively
1 (ZTE Flash) leaked ad sporting LTE connectivity w/ 10/14 availability date listed.

1 phone projected for availability on Sprint (SG Note 2). No release date rumored yet, but ATT rumored for 10/21 release, so release will likely depend on any exclusivity.

4 mystery LTE devices remaining.

Upvote 0
I apologize in advance but who's making the next nexus phone?

Wish I had time to sift back to the earlier pages, but it was discussed. Sony, LG and Samsung have all been "rumored" to be making Nexus phones.

G-Nex 2 (Galaxy Nexus 2) was recently blogged about, if you google search, you'll see multiple articles discussing it.

Reactions: Jceinc
Upvote 0
My main gripe with the S3 is that it looks and feels so plastic-y... almost cheap

The LG Optimus G looks plastic on video and pics but I hear it's all glass and doesn't have a cheap feel at all. Really looking forward to this phone and hope it comes to Sprint.

Has this been confirmed for Sprint or is it all speculation stil?

Upvote 0
My main gripe with the S3 is that it looks and feels so plastic-y... almost cheap

The LG Optimus G looks plastic on video and pics but I hear it's all glass and doesn't have a cheap feel at all. Really looking forward to this phone and hope it comes to Sprint.

Has this been confirmed for Sprint or is it all speculation stil?

Yup. Hands-on videos I've watched have all explained that the Optimus G is Glass on the back, also and very sturdy feeling (while not feeling heavy). Only complaint about the look was that the back was also a fingerprint magnet, which doesn't apply to a lot of people that use cases. I personally don't care, even though I don't use cases for my phones.

All that's been confirmed is the LG Eclipse, that pushed through the FCC 1 month ago. The Eclipse (same specs) also passed through the FCC for ATT with the same dimensions as the Sprint version a few weeks before. Is the Eclipse the US equivalent of the Optimus G? We'll see within the next couple months. The original rumored release date for the Eclipse was 10/31. After the Optimus G event in Korea, some speculation has release anywhere from October to November.

I'll be constantly updating the release date info as we move along, but take a look at that post (a few posts above this one) to get more info, as I posted 2 key links for the Optimus G/Eclipse.

Upvote 0
Man, it looks like the Eclipse might have gone through a few changes since the first rumors were swirling back in May!

LG LS970 'superphone' shows up again, flaunts its removable battery and NFC chip - Engadget

If the Korean version w/ a non-removable battery and no-micro SD ends up being the same for the US version, I'll likely pass (despite some of the features that I really love). No big deal because that means that the Note 2 becomes the hands-down choice.

Upvote 0
Man, it looks like the Eclipse might have gone through a few changes since the first rumors were swirling back in May!

LG LS970 'superphone' shows up again, flaunts its removable battery and NFC chip - Engadget

If the Korean version w/ a non-removable battery and no-micro SD ends up being the same for the US version, I'll likely pass (despite some of the features that I really love). No big deal because that means that the Note 2 becomes the hands-down choice.

My first thought of having a phone with a non removable battery, what happens when the phone freezes forcing a battery pull as you would with any other phone? I'll pass

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Upvote 0
My first thought of having a phone with a non removable battery, what happens when the phone freezes forcing a battery pull as you would with any other phone? I'll pass

Sent From My HTC Evo 3D Using TapaTalk 2

Already experienced that with the photon q my relative is using. Had to hold power button and volume down to soft reset

Upvote 0
Already experienced that with the photon q my relative is using. Had to hold power button and volume down to soft reset

Which is cool as long as it responds.....my evolution let bit the dust and there was no way to recover ...I wondered if A battery pull would have solved it

So just to confirm, Sprint IS getting the LG Optimus G right? Or at least a version of it...?
Highly possible

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Reactions: twospirits
Upvote 0
Interesting. So those Galaxy Nexus 2 rumors could be false as well.

This is the latest rumor about the next Nexus.

LG Optimus Nexus Rumors Are What Android Dreams Are Made Of

Considering that the Eclipse specs were slightly different when they passed through the FCC, I wonder if Google and LG were secretly planning the US version of the Optimus G to be the next Nexus, with some slight modifications?

LG Optimus G coming to US in November, as the next Nexus? | Android and Me

All I know is, if that's why the initial Eclipse pic leaks had a removable battery, that'd be awesome. What's most important to me though is the microSD slot. No microSD slot = deal breaker for me.

-EDIT- Forgot that today is the NY LG event, so that's something to watch out for. Don't even know what time that is or supposed to be...doh, looks like it already happened?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones