• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new phone rumors for Sprint?

Okay, so here's the most definitive confirmation of the storage on the Optimus G:

Quick Look: LG Optimus G on AT&T and Sprint - YouTube!

So, ATT went the smart route with 16gb internal / micro SD slot.

Sprint opted to keep the phone exactly as the Korean version with 32gb / no micro SD slot.

Other than that, no removable battery for either. Glad the actual carrier models were confirmed early, so that I could have my mind set on my final 1 year upgrade device (Note 2 is the winner).

At this rate, it's looking like I may wait until my contract expires next Spring to acquire a new device. That disappoints me :(

Upvote 0
So tell me what are your thoughts of this potentially backfiring on Sony? The fact that they're coming late to the party with the larger phalet makes them look like they're copying Samsung.

I wouldn't say they are coming Samsung, but making an attempt to improve on a competitor's product. If companies didn't do that very thing, we wouldn't be seeing such great devices like the sgs3 or note 2. I give don't the benefit of the doubt, however i am sticking with the note 2. I still think that Sony can make it work though, if they do it right.

Upvote 0
There hasn't been any talk of Sprint offering the LG Nexus 4. In fact, there hasn't been any direct carrier mention, so my feeling is that it'll be offered as an unlocked, sim free version through the Google Play store, which would mean it will only work on GSM providers.

Optimus G has more internal storage on the Sprint version and up to the same max on the ATT version (except the ATT version also has a microSD slot).

And no, the LG Nexus 4 has a different body shape than the Optimus G.

Interesting, I guess I was under the assumption that Sprint was getting both the LG Optimus G AND the LG Nexus 4

Really looking forward to reviews. This device might be worth trading/selling my GS3 for... we shall see

Upvote 0
Interesting, I guess I was under the assumption that Sprint was getting both the LG Optimus G AND the LG Nexus 4

Really looking forward to reviews. This device might be worth trading/selling my GS3 for... we shall see

Initially, it was being speculated that the US version of the Optimus G was going to be the Nexus instead, but when the ATT and Sprint Optimus G were formally announced as the Optimus G, that threw out the possibility of the phone being one in the same.

If you wouldn't mind not having a micro sd slot and non-removable battery, then it's definitely a device to consider.

Upvote 0
Initially, it was being speculated that the US version of the Optimus G was going to be the Nexus instead, but when the ATT and Sprint Optimus G were formally announced as the Optimus G, that threw out the possibility of the phone being one in the same.

If you wouldn't mind not having a micro sd slot and non-removable battery, then it's definitely a device to consider.

I'll think about it once it hits the market and development kicks up. If I could get some CM10 on that bad boy w/o any major issues - I would contemplate digging in, but for now I stay where I am.

Upvote 0
I still don't trust lg when it comes to phones. The last 2 i owned were a joke. Even if one is a nexus, i just don't trust that lg badge. But i may be wrong, they may break out and actually create a worthy smart phone

Which models did you have? I don't remember LG ever having released a top tier phone before, on Sprint.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Please oh please Google, release more than one Nexus. I so want a Nexus phone but GSM is not an option for me and 8gb is not enough for modern phones. LTE would be nice, too.

And a pony. Can't hurt to ask, right?

I'd be willing to bet that the carrier specific Sprint version (or versions) of the Nexus phones won't be released until around April next year (1 year from when the Galaxy Nexus was released).

Upvote 0
Here's something to keep an eye out for:

Best Buy sale on the SGS 3 for $100, Sunday Only (Not as good as the upcoming Black Friday deal for $50 less, but still decent...and funny enough, it's just out of the 30 day return window)
Verizon, AT&T, and Sprint Galaxy S3 to be $100 at Best Buy this Sunday only

Then, I saw this article about the SGS 3 Alpha releasing in Japan
Samsung Galaxy S3 Alpha launched in Japan | Ubergizmo

Which got me thinking about all those rumors about the 64gb version that was supposed to be released (in black) and saw that this article about retailers in Italy and Germany that have it up:
Samsung Galaxy S3 64GB Version Now Selling in Italy and Germany

Upvote 0
So, I'm wondering if the Best Buy leaked "one day" deals for the SGS 3 are possibly preparing for a "refreshed" version of the SGS 3 that comes as the "Alpha" with 64gb and the same processor as the Note 2?

I'm all-in, as far as getting a Note 2 is concerned, but I'm hoping they won't stagger the bigger storage versions, just to make my life easier and not have to return...then re-upgrade...LOL. That's such a PITA.
I seriously doubt it.... when's the last time the US got a device with 64gb internal storage?

Upvote 0
Hahaha...I know, me too. Just trying to throw it out in the universe in the hopes that the Note 2 releases with all memory versions on the same day!

I'm surprise you don't live life
with a perpetual migraine :banghead: with all the phones you have stored in your head. Just settle on the Note 2 man and call it a day! :D

Besides....Samsung already told you the next BIG thing is already here but you wanna play hardball. LOL!!! Keep waiting for someone to :call2: you and tell you differently.

Upvote 0
I'm surprise you don't live life
with a perpetual migraine :banghead: with all the phones you have stored in your head. Just settle on the Note 2 man and call it a day! :D

Besides....Samsung already told you the next BIG thing is already here but you wanna play hardball. LOL!!! Keep waiting for someone to :call2: you and tell you differently.

You seriously must be psychic. I was out of the office sick from M-W w/ a migraine...LOL.

Upvote 0
Which models did you have? I don't remember LG ever having released a top tier phone before, on Sprint.

They haven't released anything much on Sprint. The lg rumor my wife had was garbage. But we used to have T-Mobile and i rocked with the g2x (optimus 2x). Nice that it ran stock android, but had lg's camera software. They released an update, took away the nice camera app and left us with a garbage camera without any zoom or any choice of resolution. Couldn't record 1080p video anymore either. Plus it had signal issues, and the Wi-Fi on it sucked. But instead of moving the device forward with the updates, they moved it backwards by taking away features. Horrible decisions, ruined any hopes of me getting their devices. I won't say forever, as i still have nightmares about the Samsung behold 2, and i swear by the galaxy series. I may get an lg device in the future, but an irreplaceable battery and no micro sd slot is definitely not going to do it. They just can't seem to make a top tier device without making ridiculously stupid decisions

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
They haven't released anything much on Sprint. The lg rumor my wife had was garbage. But we used to have T-Mobile and i rocked with the g2x (optimus 2x). Nice that it ran stock android, but had lg's camera software. They released an update, took away the nice camera app and left us with a garbage camera without any zoom or any choice of resolution. Couldn't record 1080p video anymore either. Plus it had signal issues, and the Wi-Fi on it sucked. But instead of moving the device forward with the updates, they moved it backwards by taking away features. Horrible decisions, ruined any hopes of me getting their devices. I won't say forever, as i still have nightmares about the Samsung behold 2, and i swear by the galaxy series. I may get an lg device in the future, but an irreplaceable battery and no micro sd slot is definitely not going to do it. They just can't seem to make a top tier device without making ridiculously stupid decisions

Ok, I wouldn't necessarily categorize either of those in the top tier of devices, so the true test would be now with their releasing the intuition and the optimus g.

Any of these OEM's have a chance to make a 180 turn, much like Samsung did. For a while, Samsung's reputation was not great, so I think it's fair to say that LG offering a top tier phone, could turn things around just the same. The hardest part for them, realistically, would be convincing others to choose their superphone over htc, Samsung, and eve Motorola... But, it can't be said that the specs on the optimus g don't compete because they actually exceed many of the current superphones.

Upvote 0
Ok, I wouldn't necessarily categorize either of those in the top tier of devices, so the true test would be now with their releasing the intuition and the optimus g.

Any of these OEM's have a chance to make a 180 turn, much like Samsung did. For a while, Samsung's reputation was not great, so I think it's fair to say that LG offering a top tier phone, could turn things around just the same. The hardest part for them, realistically, would be convincing others to choose their superphone over htc, Samsung, and eve Motorola... But, it can't be said that the specs on the optimus g don't compete because they actually exceed many of the current superphones.

I believe they could turn it around, but it doesn't start with devices that have no removable batteries or sd card slots imo. That is something we stopped expecting years ago

Upvote 0
I believe they could turn it around, but it doesn't start with devices that have no removable batteries or sd card slots imo. That is something we stopped expecting years ago

Very true. What's funny is, the OEM's come up with such tired justifications on why many of them went non-removable. The funniest excuse is when they say, "it was made a non-removable battery to add a bigger battery, while keeping the device thin."

Then, you have OEM's like Motorola creating the Mopho Q with a non-removable battery that's the same size as its predecessor, when they already had the technology to have a thin non-removable battery almost twice the size.

HTC's justification on the LTEvo was thinness and people not being that concerned about battey life... Lol... Their researchers are asking the wrong consumers.

Regarding the move away from microsd slots, i think there are 2 big reasons for that. 1) not wanting to pay Microsoft license fees for micro sd slot patent (just found that out recently that microsoft owns that tech) and 2) push for people to rely on the cloud for storage (this always makes me LOL...i can't see the cloud replacing hard files for a long time)

Upvote 0
Right, i don't rely much on the cloud. I do backup a few things on it, but it still doesn't replace the sd card. Being cheap and exciting the micro sd will only hurt sales. Companies can make big money with the sd card, look at the sgs3.

If a company is going to create a top tier device, they need more than a powerful soc. They need features to bring in the true geeks. And those geeks look at things like batteries and sd cards. As for thickness, look at the sgs3. Removable battery, yet is almost as thin as any other device.

Lg wants a top tier phone but they ignore the die hard tech geeks, and those are the people you need to speak to when aiming that high in the market

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones