• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new phone rumors for Sprint?

What's the battery, storage, and SD card option for the Sprint G2?

According to Lisa over at mobiletechreview
Battery is 3000 mAh
Storage is 32GB
No SC Card slot

Compared to the Note 3
Battery is 3200 mAh
Storage is 32GB
Sd Card up to 64 offical (or 128 unofficial)

Looking at her video and write up review of the LG G2 and I see that it has a lot of stuff that the Note 2/3 has in software, minus the S-Pen stuff of course. But I'm used to the bigger screen of the Note. Also the LG G2 is a tri-band phone on Sprint unlike the Note 3. :mad:

Still, I will have to see them both in person to decide as well as the Mega, another Tri-Band device.

TS

Sources: mobiletechreview, S4GRU

Upvote 0
Compared to the Note 3
Battery is 3200 mAh
Storage is 32GB
Sd Card up to 64 offical (or 128 unofficial)
Note 3.

Sources: mobiletechreview, S4GRU

Okay, so I read through the s4gru article (Thanks again, TS), so that I could understand how the radios break down.

Now, my next question is, since it's been established that the radios in the Sprint Note 3 represent World Phone capabilities, did Sprint close off access to the SIM card again or were they smart (like with the original Photon) and leave it unlocked?

If they left it unlocked, I'll be a happy camper (even without the tri-band radios). Truthfully, for me, it doesn't really matter that they don't have the additional radios in the Note 3 because I don't have full confidence that all the 3 LTE signals will be up and running smoothly before I upgrade again.

Considering the pace that Network Vision has been going at, I'd even be surprised if 2 LTE radios are up, functional, and able to connect to.

How many LTE radios did they put in the Note 2 for Sprint? Is it only the 1900 also? If so, I'll be more than fine with that for at least 1 year.

Upvote 0
Samsung Note 3s are shipping region locked, and I understand that it's not only North and South America but also Europe being affected.

Thanks, EM. I read that info about the International Note 3's, but hadn't heard/read anything about the Sprint Note 3 specifically.

It wouldn't surprise me, considering President Obama had passed that law last year that prevented people from unlocking their phones, but still had me curious.

Upvote 0
This article from Ubergizmo seems to think that Samsung's official statement about the region locking is indication that it might be a software lock, and not necessarily hardware:

Samsung Responds To Galaxy Note 3 Region Locking | Ubergizmo

Still, I'm curious if the SIM card will even be readily accessible like the Photon was. The Photon Q's SIM card is covered up, so customers are forced to use Sprint's ridiculous roaming charges anyway.

Upvote 0
The law was passed many years ago and we had an exemption that expired earlier this year.

The Library of Congress ruled that carrier locking was a copyright issue and the Librarian - the one in charge - ruled to not extend the exemption.

People petitioned the White House because the game has been going on for a decade and the White House petitioned the FCC recently -

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-57...tions-fcc-to-make-cell-phone-unlocking-legal/

Reactions: quijibo and Mr. Ed
Upvote 0
Just saw this -

KOLIO in another thread said:
This may need a bit of clarification from SAMSUNG:

Buyer beware: Some Samsung Galaxy Note 3s locked down by region

Sounds like one may possibly be able to use w/another SIM if 1st activated where the phone was originally intended for use,& only then used (unlocked?) for use w/another SIM Card.

For those that travel moderately/extnsively,I hope this is the case & will have no effect on a great majority of users.

Sorry about the weird quote and multiple posts, I'm mobile...

Upvote 0
The law was passed many years ago and we had an exemption that expired earlier this year.

The Library of Congress ruled that carrier locking was a copyright issue and the Librarian - the one in charge - ruled to not extend the exemption.

People petitioned the White House because the game has been going on for a decade and the White House petitioned the FCC recently -

White House petitions FCC to make cell phone unlocking legal | Mobile - CNET News

So far as I know, sim locks are always firmware/software. So far as I know lol. :)

Sammobile explained the regional lock situation a little more, today:

[UPDATE] Here’s Samsung’s vague official statement regarding Galaxy Note 3′s regional SIM lock | SamMobile

So, basically (from how I understand it), once a person activates the phone wherever they bought it, one could bring the phone to another country and use a different SIM card.

Now, my follow-up question to that is, I wonder how many of the US providers actually allow for the same thing and more specifically, will Sprint physically block off the SIM card like they did with the Motorola Photon Q.

And what happens after a phone is de-activated in the current country, but then re-activated in another. Is it a rinse/repeat cycle every time.

For example, assuming Sprint leaves the SIM card accessible and I had already unlocked it (while it was activated), does that mean that if I upgrade again next year and travel to another country with the Note 3 (no longer activated on Sprint), that it would lock me out of using the Note 3 (since it's no longer activated on my US provider)?

Upvote 0
When i had the Photon I was very much into the Motorola forums and thru there i found out that a certain program Tweaker actually helped the members with their Sprint Photon sim issue overseas, especially going from country to country. But I do not know if that app works on other international Sprint phones like the Note 2 or 3.
Considering that Europe has so many countries next to one another and travel between them is so frequent, I too wonder how a Sprint international phone would work. I do know that you have to call Sprint to unlock, but beyond that i would assume roaming charges apply since there isn't a sim card slot.

Speaking of which, has anyone seen the inside of a Note 3 to determine if it is embedded or removable?

TS

Upvote 0
I am not sure if official...but I heard the same,

Hmmm...yeah I am a bit disappointed that the phone is not released by the end of Oct. The Sprint LG G2 is going to be 2 months behind the other carriers. My only guess is that the delay was on purpose to have the LTE 2600 network built out partially in as many markets as possible.

I have another question for you. Do you happen to know if the LG G2 is using a CSIM or USIM sim card? I heard that the Sprint iPhone 5S/5C uses a CSIM card with a new authentication system that allows LTE devices to be hot swapped between each other without having to contact Sprint.

There are a lot of people interested to see if the LG G2 will be the first Sprint android smartphone to use the CSIM. I for one am very interested if Sprint is moving over to the CSIM authentication system just like what Verizon uses to be able to hot swap between LTE devices.

Here are the sim card identifiers that could be in the inventory system. The first one is what the current 2013 LTE smartphones have been using which is a USIM removable sim card. The second one is what the iPhone 5S/5C should be using which is a CSIM removable sim card.

SIMCARD LTE 4FF USIM REMOVABLE

SIMCARD LTEGSM 4FF CSIM REMOV2

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
For those of you that were deciding between the G2 and the Note 3, if you have a real problem with Pentile matrix, I'd say you'll probably be happier with the G2.

I posted a pic I took this afternoon (in the Note 3 forums), where I can clearly see the pentile matrix (even though it's not the standard pentile configuration) and pixels, on the stock messaging app:

20131009_172254.jpg

Keep in mind, I zoomed in to take this picture, but for those that have extra sensitive eyes, the pentile is definitely more visable than I thought it would be. It really doesn't bother me much (The Photon was worse, but I absolutely loved that phone...prior to getting the Note 2). Figured I'd post this info in here, since I have the Sprint Note 3.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
For those of you that were deciding between the G2 and the Note 3, if you have a real problem with Pentile matrix, I'd say you'll probably be happier with the G2.

I posted a pic I took this afternoon (in the Note 3 forums), where I can clearly see the pentile matrix (even though it's not the standard pentile configuration) and pixels, on the stock messaging app:

20131009_172254.jpg

Keep in mind, I zoomed in to take this picture, but for those that have extra sensitive eyes, the pentile is definitely more visable than I thought it would be. It really doesn't bother me much (The Photon was worse, but I absolutely loved that phone...prior to getting the Note 2). Figured I'd post this info in here, since I have the Sprint Note 3.

Nevermind. I'm finding out that I have likely been mis-informed in the past. I've always thought that when seeing the pixels, this was a sign of pentile, but apparently that's not the case. Anyhow, other than that, the screen is absolutely awesome on the Note 3. Definitely better outside viewing (in direct sunlight) than the Note 2.

Upvote 0

20131009_172254.jpg

I can try and get someside by sides of the two. They are both great devices

Btw...to change the background picture open messages, settings, background

Can't change individual conversation backgrounds on the note 3 it is all

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
Hmmm...yeah I am a bit disappointed that the phone is not released by the end of Oct. The Sprint LG G2 is going to be 2 months behind the other carriers. My only guess is that the delay was on purpose to have the LTE 2600 network built out partially in as many markets as possible.

I have another question for you. Do you happen to know if the LG G2 is using a CSIM or USIM sim card? I heard that the Sprint iPhone 5S/5C uses a CSIM card with a new authentication system that allows LTE devices to be hot swapped between each other without having to contact Sprint.

There are a lot of people interested to see if the LG G2 will be the first Sprint android smartphone to use the CSIM. I for one am very interested if Sprint is moving over to the CSIM authentication system just like what Verizon uses to be able to hot swap between LTE devices.

Here are the sim card identifiers that could be in the inventory system. The first one is what the current 2013 LTE smartphones have been using which is a USIM removable sim card. The second one is what the iPhone 5S/5C should be using which is a CSIM removable sim card.

SIMCARD LTE 4FF USIM REMOVABLE

SIMCARD LTEGSM 4FF CSIM REMOV2

Is there an identifier on the sim?

Upvote 0
"Mystery" phone that has already been released, but will be re-released with Tri-band? Anybody have a guess (...Mr. Ed, if you can share any info, that'd be cool) on what it is?

Sprint teases two more high-speed Spark phones | Smartphones - CNET Reviews

All I know of is the Nexus 5 just announced releasing next week along with the G2, Galaxy Mega, One Max and S4 mini. I don't think the One Max will be triband though. Curiously awaiting info on if we will carry the 32 gb Nexus 5 or if that will be Google only. I highly doubt that I would give up my 32gb G2 for a 16gb phone

Its going to be a busy week haha!

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
All I know of is the Nexus 5 just announced releasing next week along with the G2, Galaxy Mega, One Max and S4 mini. I don't think the One Max will be triband though. Curiously awaiting info on if we will carry the 32 gb Nexus 5 or if that will be Google only. I highly doubt that I would give up my 32gb G2 for a 16gb phone

Its going to be a busy week haha!

Bought my 32gb n5 from the play store today.

Google and sprint CS both said I'd have no problems activating it and getting a SIM for LTE.

Have you heard anything about that?

Reactions: PyroSporker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones