• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Any new phone rumors for Sprint?

So, this looks like it might be the Sprint version of the Note 3, but on the FCC paperwork, I saw it mention 850/1900. I know that the current LTE is on the 1900 spectrum, but wasn't the 800 (former Nextel) spectrum supposed to be converted? Does that mean that the Note 3 won't be a Tri-band phone, necessarily? I need someone who understands this stuff to explain in clearer detail.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 reaches the FCC with AT&T- and Sprint-compatible bands

Upvote 0
So, this looks like it might be the Sprint version of the Note 3, but on the FCC paperwork, I saw it mention 850/1900. I know that the current LTE is on the 1900 spectrum, but wasn't the 800 (former Nextel) spectrum supposed to be converted? Does that mean that the Note 3 won't be a Tri-band phone, necessarily? I need someone who understands this stuff to explain in clearer detail.
Samsung Galaxy Note 3 reaches the FCC with AT&T- and Sprint-compatible bands

Ya, the Note 3 doesn't look like it going to be tri-band. Sprint has lte spectrum 800 MHz /1900 MHz /2.5 GHz

Upvote 0
Assuming that phone IS the Sprint Note 3

Getting a little antsy, Mr. Ed.

After NZtechfreak posted up some "hands on" time with the Note 3, I'm hoping you get some too with the Sprint version

http://androidforums.com/samsung-ga...did-i-think-z1-808-s4-cam-comparison-too.html

Seeing the 25gb of usable storage on the 32gb version put me at ease for "needing" the 64gb version, but I'd still like to know if Sprint intends on offering it and if it will be exclusive to Sprint online or offered at 3rd party retailers also.

I'm planning on holding off bringing my Note 2 in for trade in until the last possible minute, but it'll likely be next weekend, prior to ATT releasing their version. I just want to be sure I won't be stuck using my Photon backup for more than 4 weeks...LOL.

Upvote 0
Apparently the IBT says that Sprint is getting the Note 3 on Oct 2nd.

Source

TS out

I just hope my Best Buy trade-in value holds until next weekend. That's the first chance I'll have to do my trade-in. It's a little odd, considering Sprint has been offering up a pre-order for the LG G2 for a while and the iPhone releases tomorrow. You'd think that they'd want to make some sort of announcement about the Note 3.

Upvote 0
The reason I say I'll believe it when i see it is because the source states a store rep gave the date after a Samsung guy came in to show off the device.
Now it could be true about the date, but i always felt it would be in mid Oct.

Now if it is the 2nd, that only leaves 1 week left for a preorder to start, which gives the shipper about a week to send the phones out to people before the date of Oct 2. Or Sprint does no pre-order and just starts selling the phone on that date.
As for the iPhone, my theory is that they would want to postpone any device that might limit them selling as many iphones as possible. Remember they do have to sell so many iphones as per that past agreement.

TS

Upvote 0
The reason I say I'll believe it when i see it is because the source states a store rep gave the date after a Samsung guy came in to show off the device.
Now it could be true about the date, but i always felt it would be in mid Oct.

Now if it is the 2nd, that only leaves 1 week left for a preorder to start, which gives the shipper about a week to send the phones out to people before the date of Oct 2. Or Sprint does no pre-order and just starts selling the phone on that date.
As for the iPhone, my theory is that they would want to postpone any device that might limit them selling as many iphones as possible. Remember they do have to sell so many iphones as per that past agreement.

TS

Yup. That was my thought also, regarding the iPhone. I wouldn't be surprised if Sprint went with no pre-order on the Note 3 because they didn't really have a pre-order on the Note 2 either. At the same time, that was still 1st year offering the Note series, so that might have been due to their not knowing how popular it would be (kinda like the EVO) and then all of a sudden, found themselves trying to re-fill stock.

Upvote 0
Because of TS posting that article, I went into Best Buy to speak to the Samsung Experience guys, since they are actually Samsung employees. I asked 2 questions 1) Do they know when Sprint is releasing and 2) Will they offer the 64gb version.

Answers
1) No, not the definitive date, but I suspect it'll be sometime in 1st week of October.

Follow up question, by me:
So, you don't think it'll be pushed back to later in the month?

Answer: No, everyone should be releasing around the same time.

2) Unfortunately, only the 32 is the version that seems everyone will be offering. I don't know definitively, but all signs point to all carriers only offering the 32gb version.

Follow up question by me:
I was hoping that since Sprint was being so quiet, that might be a sign they might offer the 64. So you don't think that might be a remote possibility?

Answer:
No, I wish I could say that was the case, but it doesn't really appear that anyone in the US will offer the 64 and the 64 will only be for the International unlocked.

I'm paraphrasing and as always, take that info with a grain of salt, but even though I'm slightly disappointed to hear no 64, I was encouraged to hear 1st week of October.

That means only a couple weaks back on the photon, instead of 1 month.

Upvote 0
Ya, the Note 3 doesn't look like it going to be tri-band. Sprint has lte spectrum 800 MHz /1900 MHz /2.5 GHz

So, Engadget had updated their report and showed a model n900p that seems more likely the Sprint version. I inspected that model numbers documents more here:

https://apps.fcc.gov/oetcf/eas/repo...ame=N&application_id=134996&fcc_id=A3LSMN900P

And these are the capabilities it showed on one of the documents:

850/1900 CDMA/EvDO Rev 0/A (BC0, BC1, BC10), 850/1900 GSM/GPRS/EDGE, 850/1900 WCDMA/HSPA, Band 25 LTE, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac WLAN (DTS/NII), Bluetooth (1xEDR,LE), NFC, ANT+

So, it says that it has 850/1900 GSM bands. Here's my question, I was reading through some of the info about 850 GSM on wikipedia, and this 'bit of information confused me:

GSM-850 is also sometimes called GSM-800 because this frequency range was known as the "800 MHz band" (for simplification) when it was first allocated for AMPS in the United States in 1983.

From what I remember, wasn't Nextel originally on a GSM spectrum to begin with? So, does the fact that GSM-850 also used to be called GSM-800 mean that this would be the Nextel spectrum?

All this stuff doesn't make all that much sense to me, when going more into detail, so hopefully someone in here can explain the different radios that would connect to Sprint.

Upvote 0
So now, a bunch of tech outlets are sighting the IBTimes article, pegging an October 2 release date.

Here's my only question about that. October 2 is a Wednesday. Sprint doesn't typically launch phones on Wendesdays (with a few exceptions here and there). Friday is usually their "Go to" release day.

That said, I just hope that Best Buy has it the same day as Sprint. As much as I want to believe all the talk, I'll believe it when I see the phone being offered or an official statement, prior to release.

Upvote 0
So now, a bunch of tech outlets are sighting the IBTimes article, pegging an October 2 release date.

Here's my only question about that. October 2 is a Wednesday. Sprint doesn't typically launch phones on Wendesdays (with a few exceptions here and there). Friday is usually their "Go to" release day.

That said, I just hope that Best Buy has it the same day as Sprint. As much as I want to believe all the talk, I'll believe it when I see the phone being offered or an official statement, prior to release.

Safe to assume US SGN3's are shipping w/ SD800 SoC's instead of Exynos?

Upvote 0
Safe to assume US SGN3's are shipping w/ SD800 SoC's instead of Exynos?

From all the talks, yes. Only G-Note 3's I've read about, carrying the Exynos octa core, are the international (non-LTE) versions.

It'll be interesting experiencing a Snapdragon processor again. It'll be my first since the Evo! I've had a spin with Tegra 2, now on Exynos...but I'd love to see how the extra RAM helps out performance.

After 1 year, I do notice some lag on my Note 2, but that's after loading up with apps and videos, to the point that I'm having storage issues on both my internal and external storage. I've got some clean up, as well as back up to do this weekend.

Upvote 0
sorry guys with with roughly a week before the note 3 is rumored to launch it is highly unlikely I will get any time with it.

I am swamped with the iphone launch and if rumors online are true I will continue to be swamped with back to back phone launches.

Drex where did you find pre orders for the LG? I haven't seen info on it other than the standard "coming soon". I get to see it in early October but can't talk about that one until release.

Sprint has a ton of things cooking right now and they will not tell us what they are....they won't even let us in the kitchen for a smell :(

Upvote 0
sorry guys with with roughly a week before the note 3 is rumored to launch it is highly unlikely I will get any time with it.

I am swamped with the iphone launch and if rumors online are true I will continue to be swamped with back to back phone launches.

Drex where did you find pre orders for the LG? I haven't seen info on it other than the standard "coming soon". I get to see it in early October but can't talk about that one until release.

Sprint has a ton of things cooking right now and they will not tell us what they are....they won't even let us in the kitchen for a smell :(

There were a ton of articles that were popping up, when I was searching for Note 3 info, but here's one from Phonedog:

Sprint LG G2 pre-orders kick off Oct. 11 for $199.99, include free Quick Window case | PhoneDog

Upvote 0
There were a ton of articles that were popping up, when I was searching for Note 3 info, but here's one from Phonedog:

Sprint LG G2 pre-orders kick off Oct. 11 for $199.99, include free Quick Window case | PhoneDog

Sweet. Apparently I am going to a big LG party a few days prior and will later receive one free! I haven't even received my Moto X yet :rolleyes:

I am still weary of the no removable battery thing after nearly bricking my HTC One...I most likely won't root the LG like I typically do with all of my phones.

Upvote 0
blah...plenty of storage is a matter of opinion :p

I refuse to support the cloud mentality and have maxed out every non expandable phone offered so far...and maxed internal and external card+usb drives on external options.

I want to say that I recall the Note 3 being tested and reportedly working with portable 1TB USB drives and working though...that would be awesome for me.

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones