• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to use a secondary APN just for a specific Android Application

GiuseppeSM

Lurker
Dec 2, 2021
Hello everybody, I have a question about app developing...

Is it possible to use a secondary APN just for a specific Android Application and let the current APN to be used by the other applications (simultaneously) ?

If yes, how?

I would be grateful if you could write a code example to set that seconday APN without to change the current one. Thank you.

Hello everybody, I have a question about app developing...

Is it possible to use a secondary APN just for a specific Android Application and let the current APN to be used by the other applications (simultaneously) ?

If yes, how?

I would be grateful if you could write a code example to set that seconday APN without to change the current one. Thank you.

To have a secondary APN, it must be a dual-SIM active phone, with two carrier SIMs present. However I've never seen an option with dual-SIM devices to set a specific app to use the other data connection, i.e. the secondary APN.

So I guess it would need to be rooted and an appropriately modified custom ROM installed on the phone. Of course I can't provide any code examples for that, as I'm not a ROM dev.

Reactions: Dannydet
Upvote 0
I would doubt it's possible to do what you're asking about. Using one app or another app will be done at a more restricted 'user-level' while the APN a phone is using is something that gets loaded during the boot process, at a more protected 'system-level'. Even with dual-SIM phones, using one APN and then switching to a different APN isn't just hot-swappable in user space.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones