• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root New "Bugless" 2.01+2.1 apps ROM...

Yea, this sucks. I'm combing thru the DROID's files to see if I can find the Market db. It HAS to be there somewhere! :thinking:

I was thinking along those lines recently and forgot to follow up on it...if the market db can be found, then you'd think we could copy it from the nandroid to the current setup via ADB or Root Explorer...that would be very cool.

Upvote 0
Umm . . . what's up with releasing 6 ROMs in 3 days? This is starting to get ridiculous, isn't it?? I'm just gonna sit tight with .4 and wait until the official 2.1 release party. ;)

Heh, heh, heh....I know how you feel. I never expected to hear myself wish that a dev would slow down a little... ;)

I found an interesting file - downloads.db...in data\com.android.providers.downloads\databases\downloads.db.

What do you think? :) I'm thinking I might rename my existing downloads.db, copy my previous one in from my nandroid, and see what happens...

Didn't work...tried the download.db file, and the whole com.android.providers.downloads and did not restore the download listing in the marketplace...

Upvote 0
Now i may be a idiot, but this is NOT the same as rooting the droid correct?

This is just installing a new rom on the phone. my last phone was a omnia with WM6.1 on it and I was uploading roms all the time onto it, but rooting the droid scares me a little bit lol..

also how would you go back to the 'factory' setup once 2.1 is officially released?

Upvote 0
so rooting is something I will really want to do, in order to do any customizing of the phone.. correct? any downsides to rooting, GPS not working, or other common issues?

Rooting the Droid is the equivilent of unlocking/running the updater on our Omnias or other WinMobile devices. You cannot flash custom roms until you have root access on your Droid. There is not a downside to rooting your Droid unless you need warranty repair then you'll want to flash to stock and unroot before taking it in. Rooting itself will not cause any problems, however some ROMS may cause problems with GPS etc. So the same as flashing your Omina, you pick a ROM based on included features. Some of the more exteme roms will have more problems like the Sense UI ROM cannot use the battery or SDcard on our Droids so make sure you know what you are flashing.

Upvote 0
Rooting the Droid is the equivilent of unlocking/running the updater on our Omnias or other WinMobile devices. You cannot flash custom roms until you have root access on your Droid. There is not a downside to rooting your Droid unless you need warranty repair then you'll want to flash to stock and unroot before taking it in. Rooting itself will not cause any problems, however some ROMS may cause problems with GPS etc. So the same as flashing your Omina, you pick a ROM based on included features. Some of the more exteme roms will have more problems like the Sense UI ROM cannot use the battery or SDcard on our Droids so make sure you know what you are flashing.

Thank you very very much for that post. When i first had heard about rooting it seemed like a in-depth process that had alot of glitches, but when you break it down and explain it is no different then winmo....

Thank you!

Upvote 0
Thank you very very much for that post. When i first had heard about rooting it seemed like a in-depth process that had alot of glitches, but when you break it down and explain it is no different then winmo....

Thank you!

Former WinMobile Flasher myself. I have a pretty extensive history with many Rom Builders over at PPCGeeks between my 3 Touch Pros, Touch Pro 2 and Omnia so I know what you are talking about :D

Back on topic! Anybody else in no particular hurry to flash v6? I passed on it myself...

Upvote 0
Are you saying that the news and weather widget doesn't work in .5 or .6?

It can display the weather only one, but not news or news & weather.

Pete said:
App Bugs:
-Milestone MutiTouch Gallery (lags when typing text on some websites)
-Milestone Phone Portal App (enable USB debugging to use USB mode)
-Weather and News App (only use weather widget, if others are used it will FC)

Upvote 0
I just noticed that.. but one other thing I noiticed is the 'all animations' is off.. default is 'all on'. when i switched over to all on like it was, i noticed a slow down in performance.. so dont think that the rom is the only thing making is seem so fast, its also that.....

But i got my 5 homescreens and im a happy camper.. and I even got to keep my droid eye in the beginning. my phone doesnt even look hacked :p

Upvote 0
Yeah, I noticed that all the animations were turned off too, but I turned them on.

I've flashed v6, but a version that's floating around that is augmented with 600MHz overclock and Wifi tethering enabled.

I've also managed to get my news widget working again, it was really easy. Just uninstall the one provided and reinstall with the working one.

Also, the multitouch gallery is pretty awesome, though not as aesthetically pleasing as the 2.1 version.

This ROM feels like a winner...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones