• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Rogers Update is Here

From what I've read (I won't know until I update), I'm not sure anything has changed other than it shows you an H now where before if it was connecting in 3G or HSPDA it would just show a 3G. I think it is just more specific now, nothing else. I hope I'm wrong though.

Yeah, just means the H shows up - the speeds are the same contrary to the placebo people mention. Our phones have always been considered 3.5 G

Upvote 0
I debranded my phone almost as soon as I got it, so I was wondering if the APN settings are blocked or if you can delete/add settings on the branded version.

yes you can, one of the many problems i have had with my X10 was inability to connect to the internet. they took me through seting up a secondary APN through rogers.internet.com. the APN settings are in the settings under APN :p

Upvote 0
yes you can, one of the many problems i have had with my X10 was inability to connect to the internet. they took me through seting up a secondary APN through rogers.internet.com. the APN settings are in the settings under APN :p

Then it's not that bad, Rogers only added stuff without blocking features, and all the applications can be removed (through "Uninstall" or Titanium I guess).

Not like AT&T who blocked everything, probably because they're afraid they might get sued...

Upvote 0
a0982066.jpg
a9787079.jpg

i'm branded but got generic software... ??

Upvote 0
From what I've read (I won't know until I update), I'm not sure anything has changed other than it shows you an H now where before if it was connecting in 3G or HSPDA it would just show a 3G. I think it is just more specific now, nothing else. I hope I'm wrong though.

yea we might just see no differences since we already use HSPDA (It's a base feature for X10a's) from what i've read on XDA HSPDA is new only for X10i's

Upvote 0
I'd put the global/nordic firmware on but since the phone is still under warranty is why I am waiting.

I traded a bold 9700 that I won for this as i didn't want a bb as my personal phone.

But aside from this phone, does anyone know of any future Rogers android phones?

Acer Liquid E and Samsung Captivate aren't exactly thrilling me and I'm due for a HW upgrade come Jan 1st. I'm gonna ride it out it and hopefully something good will come along.

Upvote 0
I'd put the global/nordic firmware on but since the phone is still under warranty is why I am waiting.

I traded a bold 9700 that I won for this as i didn't want a bb as my personal phone.

But aside from this phone, does anyone know of any future Rogers android phones?

Acer Liquid E and Samsung Captivate aren't exactly thrilling me and I'm due for a HW upgrade come Jan 1st. I'm gonna ride it out it and hopefully something good will come along.

My buddy just got the Galaxy S. Pretty damn sweet. But the camera definitely isn't the same quality as the Sony's 8 megapixel.

I am thinking if I still don't see my phone in the list by tomorrow afternoon, I might just flash it with the update....**** the warranty....and as far as they know....do you think they actually care if you try and flash your phone and you happen to be in the 1 percent that actually screw it up?

If you return a phone, as long as there is no visible evidence of any damage and the battery hasn't been wet, I am sure they don't really care.

I definitely don't want to wait till the 19th or later.

Here is the updated list as of today - Xperia X10 | Product Launch Blog

If I see that list hasn't changed by tomorrow, I think I'm just gonna go through the flashing steps.

I wish their was a better way to complain to Rogers....they really don't seem to give a f#ck. Maybe next I will logon to their X10 page and add to the dozens/hundreds of reviews....but isn't of dissing the phone, express my disdain for Rogers and their lack of urgency and willingness to push the update to their customers.

At the very least....allow for a beta program so that the people who are urgently waiting for the update and that will most probably test some of the updated features will be the one's who should get it first.

Upvote 0
I dunno..I'm not exactly typically a Rogers apologist but everything I'm reading from Sony is that its' them accountable for the delay. I don't get how you'd not want to wait another week...unless you're having issues you expect 2.1 to fix?

I do have a bluetooth deck in my car.

And apps...there are a few apps I want that are only available on 2.1 and above.

I hold Rogers slightly responsible because they keep getting my hope up. If they just came out and said, we won't update until 2 weeks after the rest of North America gets it, then that would be better than multiple reports from multiple sources constantly changing.

I know Rogers are probably trying to limit the amount of angry customers returning their phone, but Rogers should be the one's pushing Sony....not the other way around.

Actually....Sony support page isn't working for me right today....I keep getting redirected to a page saying this:

Upvote 0
Never thought of the bluetooth..dont' have a new car. That will be a cool feature :)

Ya. My old Samsung Blackjack with WM6.1 use to work just fine with the car's audio system for music and phone calls.

In addition to that fix, Google's Gmail app is also improved.. for 2.1, where you can edit text previous emails when replying. everyone now say "ooooooooo, aaaaaahhhh"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones