• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root uggh!!! Need help!!

Okay, can we take a step back here? You have clockwork 3.0.0.5, and any time you make a backup, you're unable to restore that backup? What backups do you have? Are you saying you have some older backup that you want to restore to get your contacts? If that is the case, why are you tying to flash RA? That isn't going to help you restore a backup made in CW. In any case, as for flash_image, type each one of these commands, where you must hit enter in between each command. If you don't see a # after the first command, stop and let us know. If you get a not found error after the second command, stop there, too.

su
ls -l /system/bin/flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

That last command assumes you have the recovery.img file on /sdcard. The ls -l command will tell us if flash_image is where it is supposed to be. The which command sort of the does the same, thing, but it searches all known locations of executables. With the ls command, you're verifying it's exactly where it should be, as well. Let's see what that does.

Back to your backup issue. What are the exact steps you're taking to both make a backup and restore the backup?

Reactions: jimcraig
Upvote 0
Okay, can we take a step back here? You have clockwork 3.0.0.5, and any time you make a backup, you're unable to restore that backup?

What backups do you have? Are you saying you have some older backup that you want to restore to get your contacts?

If that is the case, why are you tying to flash RA? That isn't going to help you restore a backup made in CW. In any case, as for flash_image, type each one of these commands, where you must hit enter in between each command. If you don't see a # after the first command, stop and let us know. If you get a not found error after the second command, stop there, too.

su
ls -l /system/bin/flash_image
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery.img

That last command assumes you have the recovery.img file on /sdcard. The ls -l command will tell us if flash_image is where it is supposed to be. The which command sort of the does the same, thing, but it searches all known locations of executables. With the ls command, you're verifying it's exactly where it should be, as well. Let's see what that does.

Back to your backup issue. What are the exact steps you're taking to both make a backup and restore the backup?
Yes

2 backups done using ROM Manager & Clockworkmod

was afraid of that.

Upvote 0

5677843234_78bb5614f6.jpg

keep in mind. I have Clockworkmod & ROM Manager installed. The recovery.img file is a RA img. And the flash_image file in my system bin folder came from evomattnc

I have initiated backups through ROM Manager, where it makes me reboot and I do the backup in recovery. and I have booted up into hboot then recovery and initiated a backup in Recovery. It used to list Nand backup as a option. That is not longer listed.

I would like to back up what I have rebuitl right now, as I have done it at least 5 times over the last few days. Every time I go to back up it says good job & when I go to install old backup it locks on boot screen for well over 30 mins. I have given it ample time before. Then I try to reboot to the backup I just made of the Froyo ROM & all those changes and that wont go. And I have to re flash & start again. becuase I wiped clean before reinstating backup.

Upvote 0
5677843234_78bb5614f6.jpg

keep in mind. I have Clockworkmod & ROM Manager installed. The recovery.img file is a RA img. And the flash_image file in my system bin folder came from evomattnc

I have initiated backups through ROM Manager, where it makes me reboot and I do the backup in recovery. and I have booted up into hboot then recovery and initiated a backup in Recovery. It used to list Nand backup as a option. That is not longer listed.

I would like to back up what I have rebuitl right now, as I have done it at least 5 times over the last few days. Every time I go to back up it says good job & when I go to install old backup it locks on boot screen for well over 30 mins. I have given it ample time before. Then I try to reboot to the backup I just made of the Froyo ROM & all those changes and that wont go. And I have to re flash & start again. becuase I wiped clean before reinstating backup.

Good, that's exactly what I wanted to know. the "which" command will tell you if it exists, but ls -l will tell you the permissions. You have -rw-r--r--, which means that the owner of the file (root) can only read and write to the file, but not execute the file. Probably my fault if you used the flashable zip version on flash_image. I'll have to fix that. Until then, run this:

su
chmod 755 /system/bin/flash_image

That will make it executable, and you will then be able to run it. Back to the backups, can you briefly just describe exactly how you tried to restore the backups? You got no error messages, correct? What ROM are the backups of?

EDIT: Sorry, you edited your post right before I quoted it. What recovery do you currently have? Have you, at any point, tried to just flash a new recovery through ROM manager? that's easier than messing with this flash_image business. You're saying you don't have a "nandroid" option in recovery anymore. If you see backup, it's the same thing, but what recovery are you now using? Are we messing around with flash_image for no reason here?

Upvote 0

Haha, sorry, I'm being an idiot today.

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

If you go find the thread titled "terminal commands", you'll find that I posted a file called ".bashrc" which will make typing out some of these long commands much simpler. Of course, it'll probably take you longer to get that set up than it would just run these commands this one time, so if you feel like checking later, maybe look into that. Until then, this will fix the flash_image problem.

Upvote 0
EDIT: Sorry, you edited your post right before I quoted it. What recovery do you currently have?

Have you, at any point, tried to just flash a new recovery through ROM manager? that's easier than messing with this flash_image business. You're saying you don't have a "nandroid" option in recovery anymore. If you see backup, it's the same thing, but what recovery are you now using?

Are we messing around with flash_image for no reason here?

ROM Manager running Clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5 but I think sometimes, after a wipe & fresh ROM flash that it installs at 2.5.0.7. if that helps?

not sure.

I believe clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5

my volume up button doesnt work, so I cant flash a new pc36IMG at hboot.

Upvote 0
Haha, sorry, I'm being an idiot today.

su
mount -o remount,rw -t yaffs2 /dev/block/mtdblock4 /system

If you go find the thread titled "terminal commands", you'll find that I posted a file called ".bashrc" which will make typing out some of these long commands much simpler. Of course, it'll probably take you longer to get that set up than it would just run these commands this one time, so if you feel like checking later, maybe look into that. Until then, this will fix the flash_image problem.
5677363297_a142d3f41b.jpg

Upvote 0
ROM Manager running Clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5 but I think sometimes, after a wipe & fresh ROM flash that it installs at 2.5.0.7. if that helps?

not sure.

I believe clockworkmod recovery 3.0.0.5

my volume up button doesnt work, so I cant flash a new pc36IMG at hboot.

Right, I understand, but you can flash recovery from ROM manager, too. It's a little easier if you're having trouble with the terminal. Anyway, run those commands, and it will work. But again, before you do that, can you answer my other questions about how you're restoring your backups and what ROM they are of?

Upvote 0
Cool. No output means that it worked. Rerun the flash_image command, and it will flash recovery. But before you do that, please answer the other questions. Once you flash RA, you won't even have the ability to restore your backups you made on CW (easily).

I have attempted to restore by booting manually into hboot & recovery. I have also attempted by trying to restore in the GUI for ROM Manager. These backups that I want are just of my phone about a week ago, before I ever flashed a ROM & only had it unrEVOked forever. I simply want to backup my current setup. Then reboot into a backup from a week ago. export my contacts & save that backup to my pc. then reboot to my most recent good backup of new ROM & settings (that I hope to create just before restoring to old backup).

Upvote 0
I have attempted to restore by booting manually into hboot & recovery. I have also attempted by trying to restore in the GUI for ROM Manager. These backups that I want are just of my phone about a week ago, before I ever flashed a ROM & only had it unrEVOked forever. I simply want to backup my current setup. Then reboot into a backup from a week ago. export my contacts & save that backup to my pc. then reboot to my most recent good backup of new ROM & settings (that I hope to create just before restoring to old backup).

Okay, fair enough. Let's start with this, then. Flash Amon RA, reboot into recovery, make a nandroid backup, boot up, reboot into recovery again, restore the backup, and see if it works. Once that is done, we can figure out how to restore your other backups on CW. If nothing else, we can probably extract whatever you need through other methods.

Upvote 0
Okay, fair enough. Let's start with this, then. Flash Amon RA, reboot into recovery, make a nandroid backup, boot up, reboot into recovery again, restore the backup, and see if it works. Once that is done, we can figure out how to restore your other backups on CW. If nothing else, we can probably extract whatever you need through other methods.
5678026266_07f2ebd7b3.jpg

so far so good. now rebooting into recovery & creating backup...
edit , backing up now in Amon RA, totally different recovery look this time. & it listed nandroid backup. but why didnt I just try to reflash the right recovery for the backups I have that wont load?

Upvote 0
backup complete, rebooting phone now. then power down & boot into recovery & restore backup. fingers crossed.

edit

its looping the mikfroyo animation!
booted backup normally.

So, it worked, then? You actually restored the backup? Great. You did verify that you now have RA recovery, right? It's no longer CW?

Upvote 0
So, it worked, then? You actually restored the backup? Great. You did verify that you now have RA recovery, right? It's no longer CW?
I booted back into recovery, and it was green not orange like CWM. I restored to backup, the only 1 listed. I am now seeing the mikFroyo animation boot. and now it just completely booted backup. so yes backup successfull & restore successful using RA not CWM.

Now what? How can I get back into previous backups to save my contacts too google, or export them ?

Upvote 0
Ok guys I'm home, sorry I disappeared but it looks like akaza got you to amon that's where we were heading. What we need to extract is his contacts. I'm not sure what happened to his back ups I was just figuring them for corrupt and getting amon so we could make a good one. Looks like we got that much at least
yeah looks like that is where we are now. any luck on restoring 1 of the older backup points? restore point before I flashed any ROMs?

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's a good first step. What we need to know now is what all do you need from the backup. Is it just contacts? Let us know what exactly you need so that we can figure out the best way to get it. Ideally, we can do this without having to restore the backup at all. If it was corrupt, it would have never even restored, so something that it restored didn't work right. Had it been anything but stock, I'd have just suggested reflashing the ROM over whatever the backup was. Since it's stock it not quite *that* simple, but we could probably still do it. That being said, depending on what you need to extract from the backup, we should be able to do it without fully restoring it.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it's a good first step. What we need to know now is what all do you need from the backup. Is it just contacts? Let us know what exactly you need so that we can figure out the best way to get it. Ideally, we can do this without having to restore the backup at all. If it was corrupt, it would have never even restored, so something that it restored didn't work right. Had it been anything but stock, I'd have just suggested reflashing the ROM over whatever the backup was. Since it's stock it not quite *that* simple, but we could probably still do it. That being said, depending on what you need to extract from the backup, we should be able to do it without fully restoring it.
before this fiasco started I had done the following

rooted using unrEVOked 3 then unrEVOked forever.

I then installed ROM Manager and created nandbackups in recovery and in GUI. I had restored to 1 at least once prior so I named it so it would stand out.

I then tried to flash CM7 and it stuck on boot animation for a very very long time. I pulled the battery and restored backup, no prob. I then tried to flash fresh. That did work but I didnt really like it so I restored again. I then tried mikFroyo ROM and it locked on boot screen. By then I was reading on locking on boot screen issue as I really wanted to see CM7. I read that a wipe of cache, dalvik cache, and a full system wipe is the best method and not doing so might cause issues. So I wiped data\factory reset, and tried CM7 again. It didnt work and when I tried to restore to a backup that didnt work either. I then flashed mikFroyo to get my phone back online, and that is just about where you come in.

phew...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones