• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Updated Odin Images Available - Latest T-Mobile Stock

I just got my BHII (1.5) and attempted to flash per the instructions...(update only) I downloaded the file at least 3 times before i got an uncorrupted file. I had to redownload the ADB file directly... After installing that, I went down the list and all was great until time to press start and then it tells me to attatch my phone.(??)
I followed the instructions to the letter. Im looking at my phone, its in download mode and plugged in via usb did I do something wrong? HELP!
Maybe a bad ADB? or user error?

Upvote 0
Since this is the stock 1.5 ROM should this be able to get / install the 1.6 update that T-Mobile is rolling out during the next few days? (Curious if somehow using ODIN to reinstall it would be detectable to the OTA update process which could then lead to disqualification.)

Upvote 0
Since this is the stock 1.5 ROM should this be able to get / install the 1.6 update that T-Mobile is rolling out during the next few days? (Curious if somehow using ODIN to reinstall it would be detectable to the OTA update process which could then lead to disqualification.)

This should be an exact replica of the most recent update that TMobile pushed a while back. We should be set using this, but hopefully the creator can come on here and verify this.

Upvote 0
OP here, back after gone AWOL..

I cannot think of any reason why the Odin image would interfere with this OTA but there is only one way to be sure.

I will make a new image as soon as I receive the update, or someone else can by following the instructions here - http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-behold-2/54424-creating-custom-roms-backups-odin.html

As for rooting, please don't ask me. I will see if I have time to look into it but no promises. The simplest method for getting root is being patched out but some of BH_MAN's stuff should be serviceable with this update.

Upvote 0
OP here, back after gone AWOL..

I cannot think of any reason why the Odin image would interfere with this OTA but there is only one way to be sure.

I will make a new image as soon as I receive the update, or someone else can by following the instructions here - http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-behold-2/54424-creating-custom-roms-backups-odin.html

As for rooting, please don't ask me. I will see if I have time to look into it but no promises. The simplest method for getting root is being patched out but some of BH_MAN's stuff should be serviceable with this update.

Send me the boot Sector for the Kernel of the Update & I'll Patch it for everyone :)

Upvote 0
So i just flashed the update to go back to 1.5 to wait for the OTA update from Tmobile. While doing it my phone reset and went to the flashing samsung screen as if it was loading. Its been there ever since like going on 15 minutes. Is there anything i should do or just continue waiting?

reflash with your sdcard out, or pull your sdcard out and try booting from there before reflashing to see if it works!

Upvote 0
The image making process will be slightly more complicated once I actually started thinking about it. Since we are loosing root with this update we need to start from scratch. The procedure will require 2 phones with the update, and shouldn't cause any damage or permanent changes. I will need 1 or 2 people from the community to help me out with this one.

The procedure will go like this:

Both phones A and B have the Samsung 1.6 OTA update

1. Odin phone A with http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-behold-2/56494-bh_man-recovery-w-adb-support.html
  2. ADB into phone A via recovery
  3. Dump all of the partitions with dd
  4. Modify the dumped kernel image to enable root
  5. Odin phone B with rooted kernel
  6. Dump official recovery from phone B with dd
  7. Package the ROM dumps from phone A (except the modified recovery), the rooted kernel, and the official recovery dump from phone B into an Odin file

Volunteers can post in this thread or PM me and we can arrange to meet on IRC. If all goes well it should take only an hour (minus the time to exchange files).

If you've gotten ADB to work with your phone that's all the experience you'll need!

Upvote 0
I know this is probably a dumb request but would it be possible to get a copy of the update before you root it? I simply would like it as a backup in case I need to send my phone in to for repairs. One of the support people mentioned they wouldn't be willing to repair a phone if any changes to the kernel were made. I Don't know I call bs but just to be safe it would be nice to have the back up to flash it to. If I ever get the update I will be more than willing to help.

Upvote 0
I believe Nu11u5 was planning on making an exact copy of the 1.6 OTA, without root. I think BH_MAN was going to root it for us afterwards so we'd have both.

Since root is no longer as simple as copying over a program like try3/asroot2, and you need root to get the dump, I will have to make a rooted kernel to get to a finished release.

But afterward I will provided a non-rooted version for those who don't want it.

Reactions: 2FR35H and BurgDog
Upvote 0
So whats goin on? Do we not have volunteers?

Not yet. Plus I live in a somewhat rural area with no 3G. I've gotten the update before on EDGE, so I'm just waiting for my queue at the moment.

As soon as I get 2 volunteers I can walk them through the process on IRC.

..but probably not this weekend, as I plan on being in the middle of a lake in the middle of nowhere. Then again I've been finding 3G signals in surprising places lately.

Upvote 0
Just used this process posted by kkarlin for the last ota. Worked for me.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-behold-2/50823-how-force-bug-fix-update.html#post407834

Assumptions :
You are using the STOCK ROM. BH_MAN's Hybrid ROM will not work as Device Management is DISABLED. I can't speak to the GALAXY ROM so to be safe ODIN back to Stock.
You're battery is above 50%
You have a Solid Signal (3g seems to be required)
You Are Using the TWLauncher home screen - You can not be using a different home screen.
Steps:
If you dont already have AnyCut, Download and install it from the Market Place
Long Press an empty spot on your desktop
Select Shortcut from the context menu
Select AnyCut as the ShortcutType
Select Activity from the AnyCut shortcut type
Select Device Management from the list of Activities
You can rename the short cut if you want to, but it's not necessary
Click "OK" - the short cut should be created on your desktop
Click the short cut to launch Device Manager
Select Start DM
You should immediately see a pair of red and blue arrows in the top left corner of the screen - these are in a different location than the usual "Getting Information" arrows that appear more towards the middle of the top of the screem
After a minute or so you should be prompted to install the update.
If the arrows disappear and you are not notified of an update proceed with step 14
While still in Device Management - hit Menu then select Software Update
1 Hour should be selected - hit "OK"
You should now see a clock next to the arrow icons in the top left corner of the screen.
Reboot the phone.
After restarting open Device Management using the desktop shortcut.
Select Start DM
This should now initiate the update.
ENJOY!

Upvote 0
Just used this process posted by kkarlin for the last ota. Worked for me.

http://androidforums.com/samsung-behold-2/50823-how-force-bug-fix-update.html#post407834

Assumptions :
You are using the STOCK ROM. BH_MAN's Hybrid ROM will not work as Device Management is DISABLED. I can't speak to the GALAXY ROM so to be safe ODIN back to Stock.
You're battery is above 50%
You have a Solid Signal (3g seems to be required)
You Are Using the TWLauncher home screen - You can not be using a different home screen.
Steps:
If you dont already have AnyCut, Download and install it from the Market Place
Long Press an empty spot on your desktop
Select Shortcut from the context menu
Select AnyCut as the ShortcutType
Select Activity from the AnyCut shortcut type
Select Device Management from the list of Activities
You can rename the short cut if you want to, but it's not necessary
Click "OK" - the short cut should be created on your desktop
Click the short cut to launch Device Manager
Select Start DM
You should immediately see a pair of red and blue arrows in the top left corner of the screen - these are in a different location than the usual "Getting Information" arrows that appear more towards the middle of the top of the screem
After a minute or so you should be prompted to install the update.
If the arrows disappear and you are not notified of an update proceed with step 14
While still in Device Management - hit Menu then select Software Update
1 Hour should be selected - hit "OK"
You should now see a clock next to the arrow icons in the top left corner of the screen.
Reboot the phone.
After restarting open Device Management using the desktop shortcut.
Select Start DM
This should now initiate the update.
ENJOY!
it didnt work. said will continue after reboot, but it doesnt continue at all

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones